PDA

View Full Version : ambient light sensor backwards?

OSXRANDOMANIMAL
Feb 16, 2009, 02:34 PM
im a little confused...when it gets darker the display gets darker and when it gets brighter the display gets brighter...

this might be how they all work, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. i understand maybe it gets brighter to combat the glare from a sunny room or something.

bartelby
Feb 16, 2009, 02:36 PM
That's correct.

In a dark room it's easier to see the screen, so it dims.

In a bright room it's difficult to see a dim screen, so it brightens.

hsleiman
Feb 16, 2009, 02:36 PM
That's exactly right. The logic here is that when you are in a dark room the screen dims so as not to blind you. (Ever flip the light on when you have been in a dark room for awhile?)

OSXRANDOMANIMAL
Feb 16, 2009, 02:41 PM
i suppose that's true but i think i would like to be a little brighter in a dark room especially late at night.

bartelby
Feb 16, 2009, 02:43 PM
i suppose that's true but i think i would like to be a little brighter in a dark room especially late at night.

If it's not on full brightness, turn it up.

hsleiman
Feb 16, 2009, 02:44 PM
Although this isn't an ideal situation you could always manually adjust the brightness. Hmm... would be nice to be able to have a setting that remembers what brightness level you prefer for different ambient light levels.

nick9191
Feb 16, 2009, 03:18 PM

The idea is to prevent eye strain.

If your in a pitch black room with your screen on full, it kills your eyes. When it's bright, the screen brightens so you can see it.

Staring at a screen on full in a dark room is like staring at a light bulb.

dL.
Feb 16, 2009, 04:18 PM
There's an ambient light sensor for the screen for all Macbooks or just the new aluminum ones?

dL

OSXRANDOMANIMAL
Feb 16, 2009, 04:46 PM
There's an ambient light sensor for the screen for all Macbooks or just the new aluminum ones?

dL

pretty sure just the new unibody ones.

Tallest Skil
Feb 16, 2009, 04:49 PM
pretty sure just the new unibody ones.

And every other Intel laptop model, all Intel iMacs, and the iMac G5.

Possibly also the last of the PowerBook G4 line.

acfusion29
Feb 16, 2009, 04:58 PM
To the OP, have you ever even put it on full brightness at night? You can and will ruin your eyes like that.

Eric S.
Feb 16, 2009, 05:36 PM
im a little confused...when it gets darker the display gets darker and when it gets brighter the display gets brighter...

this might be how they all work, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. i understand maybe it gets brighter to combat the glare from a sunny room or something.

Haven't you ever noticed that your car's instrument lights dim when you turn the headlights on?