Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Ok ive recently started taking photos and ive been trying out some hdr. Whenever I do them I save them as TIFF files but to put them online ive had to convert them to jpegs and when I do this I lose alot of detail. Is this just something Im going to have to live with? Is there a better way of saving these that im missing?

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
currently im taking my raw files and merging them to hdr then saving the file as a 16bit tiff and if i want to post it online i just open it in lightroom and export it as a jpeg

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Anytime you save to JPG, you're going to lose a lot of detail. It doesn't have the dynamic range of TIFF.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
currently im taking my raw files and merging them to hdr then saving the file as a 16bit tiff and if i want to post it online i just open it in lightroom and export it as a jpeg

What settings are you specifying for the color space and jpeg quality on the export dialog in Lightroom? Are you applying any sharpening as part of the export process too?

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
No the quality was the only thing I have changed when exporting in lightroom.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Can you explain where you choose the sharpening? I still new to lightroom.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Can you explain where you choose the sharpening? I still new to lightroom.

It's on the export dialog just below the image size and resolution.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 57

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Ok i just tried that and it didnt make a difference. What im losing is alot of the depth. The blacks are the main thing im losing and some of the color. Here is the pic as a jpeg it doesnt look anywhere near as good as the tiff file:(

carhdr2.jpg

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
ok so maybe i was wrong when i look at it on preview on my mac it looks bad but now once i uploaded it it looks normal. Am I going crazy haha?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Ok i just tried that and it didnt make a difference. What im losing is alot of the depth. The blacks are the main thing im losing and some of the color. Here is the pic as a jpeg it doesnt look anywhere near as good as the tiff file:(

It looks ok to me, but I can't see what you're seeing. What browser do you use?

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
firefox but it looks normal now that I uploaded it. Before i was just looking at it on preview and noticed the difference. Maybe preview is just setup dumb i dont know.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
firefox but it looks normal now that I uploaded it. Before i was just looking at it on preview and noticed the difference. Maybe preview is just setup dumb i dont know.

I've had no complaints using Preview to view sRGB images. Firefox has color management features now with version 3, but they have to be specifically enabled while Safari has always been color managed. You may want to view the image in Safari and compare it to the one in Firefox, just to rule out the browser as potentially contributing to your problem.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
yeah safari looks just like preview so firefox def looks better thats strange I havent changed any settings in either one.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
yeah safari looks just like preview so firefox def looks better thats strange I havent changed any settings in either one.

That _is_ strange. Firefox looked flat for me, until I turned on the color management features. If you open about:config in Firefox, what is the setting for gfx.color_management.enabled ?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
mine says false

This is a link to the add-in that helps you control the color management settings in Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=color management

Images look identical for me no matter whether I view them in Safari, Firefox, Preview, Photoshop (CS3), or Lightroom. For your photo, I disabled color management in Firefox and it ceased to match Safari and Preview. I am attaching a screen capture of that. FWIW, my monitor is color calibrated using an Xrite colorimeter.

I don't know what the right answer is for your system, but color management definitely appears to be an area for you to explore.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    700.9 KB · Views: 62
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.