Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fortune notes a string of announcements coming out of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona where it seems mobile app stores are on everyone's mind. DeWitt summarizes the headlines and notes that "now everyone has an App Store":
- Nokia’s Ovi Store. An online app and media portal that comes “pre-integrated” on Nokia’s (NOK) new N97 (right), but will be available for download on a slew of existing Nokia phones come May. (link)
- Windows Marketplace. Along with a new version of Windows Mobile, Microsoft (MSFT) announced Monday that it will open a new Windows Marketplace offering - you guessed it - 20,000 apps, some of which actually run on mobile devices.
- App Store for Symbian. PocketGear, which had previously built its own Palm App Store and an App Store for Windows Mobile, unveiled an App Store for Symbian, the operating system that runs Nokia’s smartphones. How it will compete with the Ovi Store remains to be seen.
- Android Market. Google (GOOG) opened an application marketplace for the Android platform last October, but so far it has only accepted free apps. Look for an announcement from Google this week about how that’s going to change.
- BlackBerry Applications Center. Research in Motion (RIMM) invited developers to submit programs to its forthcoming Applications Center in October. We may be hearing more this week about when that will open for business.
- Palm Software Store. This one went live in December with 2,000 apps and 1,000 free games available for download to both Palm (PALM) OS devices and Windows Mobile.
All these companies are, of course, trying to emulate some of the breakaway success of the iTunes App Store which now houses over 20,000 apps and over 500 million downloads.

Article Link: 'Everyone' Has an App Store

jackfrost123

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Who gives a...iphone app store will trump them anyway...shouldn't " Steve Jobs Writing an Autobiography?" from page 2 be here instead?

If they were all starting one store, or one phone OS was truly dominant here, I'd expect success. But I think this is like the ipod. Apple got too far ahead of the market too fast, and by the time the competition really got going, it was too divided and too much the same to compete. I mean, I bet some of these stores, and some of the phones, are really spectacular. But same phone, same store, and then with enough market share to get apps written to make the whole thing worthwhile?

Android's got a decent shot, because google will doubtless write tons of great apps there.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Who gives a...iphone app store will trump them anyway...shouldn't " Steve Jobs Writing an Autobiography?" from page 2 be here instead?

seeing as it's probably not true, not really. Valleywag's sources are pretty weak. they tend to publish a lot of junk.

arn

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Wow, Apple's 'App Store' sounds so much more simple and yet unique. The App store along with iTunes has so much momentum, these other app stores won't even affect it.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Its quite amusing how Apple can step into the mobile phone industry, innovate and all the established players copy them. I hope they are all asking themselves why they didn't think of it first.

I wonder if any of them will be as successful as the iTunes App Store

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
There are 20,000 apps for Windows Mobile? I didn't even know there were 20,000 *users* of Windows Mobile.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Thing is.... Ovi from Nokia is going to absolutely BLOW apple's mediocre offering out of the water... why?

It has Music, Games AND App's in one store, it's unified why have a iTunes store and a App store, it's also Location aware.... imagine getting off the plane and being able to buy a language learning mp3 and a travel guide right on your Nokia! :) Also Nokia has a HUGE (numbers Apple could only dream of) installed base and this is going to be available on new and old smart/dumb handsets.

Can't wait to get my N97 :D

jackfrost123

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
If they were all starting one store, or one phone OS was truly dominant here, I'd expect success. But I think this is like the ipod. Apple got too far ahead of the market too fast, and by the time the competition really got going, it was too divided and too much the same to compete. I mean, I bet some of these stores, and some of the phones, are really spectacular. But same phone, same store, and then with enough market share to get apps written to make the whole thing worthwhile?

Android's got a decent shot, because google will doubtless write tons of great apps there.

I am with you on some points here, but I respectfully disagree on a few:
Apple has got a huge advantage and an edge here for the exact reason you mention. BUT. The phone market is not like the mp3 market, there (mp3) the fact that a new device got automatically branded an ipod that people weren't even aware what it was and brough on a huge shift of paradigm automatically that was associated with apple. This is NOT the case with mobile phones, that a. as a device are fully aknowledged by the public so tehy can't be associated with a single product, b. differentiation is actually a sign of status/style/statement so you can't lure them all, different brands CONTANTLY keep making new and different models and inroads in the mobile market an doing so successufflly, and c. (and ther are more points but I ll stop) demographics are different with all of the above (except android) having ALREADY a well established customer base.

What's more I don't know how apple plan to play this along but they won't be able to sell one phone to all and think the ll compete in such a diverse market. Let's face it for reasons of status, differentiation etc. etc. iphone's novelty will wear off in a year max and then you have to bring something on the table that will be different for the kid who digs apple, or the exec, or the soccer mom, or the student and if they plan to do this with one size fits all phone, one iphone they better forget about it because they ll fail, they can't be one trick ponies in this arena. I am not saying that they become the nokia of cell phones with 100's of phone models catering to every need out, but they at least should become the apple computer to the phone market, that is be as diverse as they are int the computer market in the phone market. I hope they have this in mind, otherwise they will fail.

As for google, I got a lot of buddies who are gang ho about this thing. And here you too, you say they are going to have lots of great apps, yeah, ok, wait a sec. though, its a f. phone, even a smart one, how many different or spectacular or groundbreaking apps can you have? This is kid stuff really, sure some will be helpful, but you can't have anything spectacularly useful in a phone that they guy next door doens't have, these are phones, you are not designing apps to mawn the lawn, or do the laundry, or sent the kids to school, or whatever....So I say, so what about the google apps. I have bough tons of apps for my iphone and have tons of free ones, and almost never use any beside 5-6 of them, not because they are bad, but because I only need them very occasionaly, and because it's nice to know you can do something, but that doesnt mean you ll need to.

jackfrost123

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
There are 20,000 apps for Windows Mobile? I didn't even know there were 20,000 *users* of Windows Mobile.
Ha,hahahah great one....All the users they have were actually developers developing apps to sell to each other, only to realise that bummer, it was only them who were using it.

Thing is.... Ovi from Nokia is going to absolutely BLOW apple's mediocre offering out of the water... why?

It has Music, Games AND App's in one store, it's unified why have a iTunes store and a App store, it's also Location aware.... imagine getting off the plane and being able to buy a language learning mp3 and a travel guide right on your Nokia! :) Also Nokia has a HUGE (numbers Apple could only dream of) installed base and this is going to be available on new and old smart/dumb handsets.

WOW, getting off the plane and what have the phone know you are in Uruguay and get you learn uruguayan mp3, as oppose to you typing uruguay buy learn mp3? So advanced, and get off the plane and instead of going to the nice girl at the local shop to get a map or a newspaper or somehting to be glued to your nokia screen with location awareness...so advanced....

Btw, fyi iphone has something called gps, that's pretty location aware in terms of everything...

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
This is going to be hilarious.

Once the various stores have competed with each other (and Apple) to be the "most open" by allowing any old rubbish to be sold (because they will) and their users start downloading everything in sight (because they will) expect to read of "smart" phones of every other OS groaning and crashing under the weight of background processes.

hacksaw-C87

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Birmingham England
I can't say I'm surprised by this, it was bound to happen. There was a massive market that all these companies were missing out on. Did anyone really expect them not to get involved in this area at some point? Did the first cave men sit around waiting to make fire like the cave over the valley? Of course they didn't! They went and copied or stole their fire to get in on the action.

mave1969

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Thing is.... Ovi from Nokia is going to absolutely BLOW apple's mediocre offering out of the water
Apple's store is mediocre by what standard? A bunch of vapourware stores that no-one's actually used yet?

It has Music, Games AND App's in one store, it's unified why have a iTunes store and a App store
I've never bought music and applications in the same transaction. They are different mediums and therefore require different grouping and navigation paradigms. Please explain what benefit this combination would bring other than to serve your already weak argument.

it's also Location aware.... imagine getting off the plane and being able to buy a language learning mp3 and a travel guide right on your Nokia!
What, and you're NOT location aware? What kind of moron steps off a plane without knowing what language is spoken locally? Anyone who travels with such a low level of preparation deserves to end up in a quiet alley with a couple of indecipherable locals, getting relieved of their precious Nokia.

Also Nokia has a HUGE (numbers Apple could only dream of) installed base
Just like MS has a huge installed base on the desktop, and we know how well that helps their quality threshold.

I'm sure you'll both be very happy together.

Geenz

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
I love how some of the responses to this article involves praise for apple "being first" with their App Store, with other players in the mobile phone OS market copying them. Especially when there's been App Store-like offerings for various mobile devices that pre-date the App Store in a mobile form. Sure they may not be first party methods, but they exist none the less.

Lurch_Mojoff

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Closer that you might expect!
Ahh but GPS on iPhone needs data connection good luck with your £1000 bill when you get home!!! I'll stick to my Nokia with loaded maps of all of Europe thanks :D it is advanced... just because Apple hasn't done it doesn't mean it's not useful fan boi!!!

GPS and AGPS, even the one in the iPhone, don't need data connection (although AGPS needs access to the mobile network for the "assisted" part). Downloading an app or a song, even from Nokia's magical store, does however need data connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.