PDA

View Full Version : Converting 15" imac G4 screen to 20"

robbiegoodfello
Feb 17, 2009, 04:34 AM
Hi
I recently bought an imac g4 1ghz as my ibook fell into the sink due to my toddler.
I havent got a lot of money but noticed on Ebay there was a 20" screen up for grabs that was going pretty cheap.
I was wondering if there was a way to convert my existing 15" screen to the 20" as I thought it would be pretty cool for the kids so they can watch there cbeebies and the like.
If you know give us a shout.

Cheers
Robbie

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 17, 2009, 12:37 PM
That might be possible but I don't think that'll be wise. The 20" model weighed about 20lbs more over the 15" models(about twice the weight) because of the extra weight and size of the LCD. I don't think the neck of the 15" would support it either. It would just topple over into the sink ;).

You could always duct tape a cinder block to the base of your 15" to support the extra weight :D.

robbiegoodfello
Feb 17, 2009, 01:53 PM
cheers mate ill keep that in mind, ill have to use a a big piece of yorkshire stone though...it would look so much prettier:)

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 17, 2009, 02:32 PM
No problem. Just keep us posted and take lots of pics if you decide do it.

I'm looking to get a 17"(would love the 20") iMac and mod it with a touchscreen for use in the kitchen. Would stream music/movies and internet to look up recipes. I'm also gonna dye it black too. ;)

edgew8
Feb 17, 2009, 02:33 PM
I dont think its possible, besides the weight issue there are power issues to deal with, I don't think the power inverter for a 15" could handle the 20" and connecting the vga/dvi wiring or whatever wouldn't match up.

Schtumple
Feb 17, 2009, 02:35 PM
I dont think its possible, besides the weight issue there are power issues to deal with, I don't think the power inverter for a 15" could handle the 20" and connecting the vga/dvi wiring or whatever wouldn't match up.

Both are correct, different video connectors (IIRC) and also it won't be able to power the larger display.

robbiegoodfello
Feb 19, 2009, 11:02 AM
oh plums that puts end to that idea then...will just have to wait till ebay offers a twenty inch at the price this gypsy can afford.:o