PDA

View Full Version : So where are the new Macs?

MacBytes
Feb 17, 2009, 08:02 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: So where are the new Macs? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090217090202)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

ditzy
Feb 17, 2009, 09:19 AM
Very misleading title. I was expecting a column on when are the macs going to be updated. A more accurate title would have been, 'What is the point of the Mac Pro?'
The points that were made seemed pretty valid though.

PuckDaddy
Feb 17, 2009, 09:46 AM
I agree
could have also been titled "there's no need to spend $5000 on a MacPro"

alexbates
Feb 17, 2009, 09:49 AM
There will be some new Macs in March. That's what will most likely happen.

darthraige
Feb 17, 2009, 10:07 AM
'What is the point of the Mac Pro?'.

God-like things can be done on this machine. Video-wise. :D

SPUY767
Feb 17, 2009, 12:07 PM

Seriously, I have a fleet of 2.5 year old original mac Pros doing heavy lifting video work. It hasn't been touched because until the new i7 based XEON's come out, there really is no good reason to throw another chip into the mix, you can't get much faster chips that the 3.2 in the current top of the heap units. Currently, I think retail, the only thing you can pick up is a 3.16, and special order I think you can get a 3.33 from Dell & Co, both are based on the slower 1333 FSB though. And where is he getting these pricing numbers, is he just adding the cost of two displays to the Mac Pro, because even the 3.2x8 is only 4400$ sans monitor. DURR, Au dollars.

rikers_mailbox
Feb 17, 2009, 12:13 PM
Seriously, I have a fleet of 2.5 year old original mac Pros doing heavy lifting video work. It hasn't been touched because until the new i7 based XEON's come out, there really is no good reason to throw another chip into the mix, you can't get much faster chips that the 3.2 in the current top of the heap units.

I think the MacPro is a case where the hardware has outpaced the software. All these processing cores but very few programs are able to truly take advantage of them.

This will change with 10.6 and OS-level task distribution. For all these machines with 2, 4, 8 cores.. 10.6 will see a great performance improvement. Heck even the C2D Mac Mini will run faster (theoretically).

twoodcc
Feb 17, 2009, 12:48 PM
well i sure hope that the mini, iMac, and Mac Pro all get updated in the next month. they all need an update big time.

DoFoT9
Feb 17, 2009, 06:15 PM
well i sure hope that the mini, iMac, and Mac Pro all get updated in the next month. they all need an update big time.

i sooo agree! update the whole fleet! imagine the sales jump.

ditzy
Feb 17, 2009, 06:25 PM

I wasn't dissing the mac pro. Just pointing out that the title was misleading, and suggesting a more accurate title.

SFStateStudent
Feb 17, 2009, 06:30 PM
I think the MacPro is a case where the hardware has outpaced the software. All these processing cores but very few programs are able to truly take advantage of them. This will change with 10.6 and OS-level task distribution. For all these machines with 2, 4, 8 cores.. 10.6 will see a great performance improvement. Heck even the C2D Mac Mini will run faster (theoretically).

+1 ^^^ I don't know what else I need to do for my Mac Pro 3.0? Has the hardware exceeded the software as "rikers_mailbox" points out above?

dwl017
Feb 17, 2009, 06:40 PM
Everything is on hold until Steve dies and no this is not intended to be a cruel joke I honestly think it has merit.

Kashchei
Feb 17, 2009, 06:47 PM
Everything is on hold until Steve dies and no this is not intended to be a cruel joke I honestly think it has merit.

If that is true, wouldn't that affect the products 18 months or so down the line? That's how long companies like Apple plan ahead, if I'm not mistaken.

dwl017
Feb 17, 2009, 07:06 PM
If that is true, wouldn't that affect the products 18 months or so down the line? That's how long companies like Apple plan ahead, if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.canada.com/topics/technology/news/story.html?id=717de6e8-0fb3-4e4a-b328-3d3598388ab9

Jobs apparently seesawing health also complicates what was already expected to be a difficult year for Apple and the electronics industry, as a severe downturn saps consumers' spending appetite.

Some fear that Jobs' absence will mean no big product launch -- such as last year's 3G iPhone -- in 2009, and hence put a dampener on the firm's share price

winmacguy
Feb 17, 2009, 09:38 PM
Seriously, I have a fleet of 2.5 year old original mac Pros doing heavy lifting video work. And where is he getting these pricing numbers, is he just adding the cost of two displays to the Mac Pro, because even the 3.2x8 is only 4400$ sans monitor. DURR, Au dollars.

NZ dollars actually.

dwl017
Feb 18, 2009, 07:30 PM
Link to full article (http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/02/mac-upgrades-sl.html)

Apple isn't going to roll out a revamped Mac desktop anytime soon, because you wouldn't buy one anyway, analysts say.

Tough economic times, a shrinking desktop market and strong notebook sales make the idea of a sexy, aluminum Mac Mini an unwise investment for Apple, said Trip Chowdhry, a Global Equities Research analyst.

"In this environment where nobody is buying anything and you come out with a kick-ass product, you might get a lot of wows and woos, but that does not convert into sales," Chowdhry said. "So that's a wasted effort."

Apple's Mac desktop line is conspicuously overdue for a refresh. Typically, these computers receive at least an incremental upgrade (i.e., minor improvements to processor, memory, storage) every seven months. However, both the Mac Mini and Mac Pro haven't received an update in well over a year, and the current iMac is 10 months old.

galstaph
Feb 19, 2009, 08:51 AM
I can definitely see where the author is coming from. A Mac Pro is a huge investment for many people (myself included). I am an architectural student (masters program) and yes, my macbook pro can chug along and run all the software that I use (maya, rhino, autocad, revit, maxwell render), but, it is quite taxing to the system, even with 4gb of ram and a 2.4ghz dual core processor, rendering a scence for 3 hours (1 frame) and only getting to an sl of 17 on a 1024x768 frame is rediculus. I might be able to get some better speeds out of an iMac, but still it would be slow as a dog. This is why I see that the Mac Pro is a worthy investment as it cuts my time sitting and waiting for my work to process by a large margin. So is the price justified by the power available to speed up intensive work tasks.

Even today, over one year since release, you cannot reasonably buy the same parts for a significant discount. The new i7 technology is quite promising, and while I can get a consumer single quad today, I think waiting for the xeon variant is worth the month+ wait to see what will come of it and the true advantages the bencehmarks wll show. I think that there is a market still for the mac pro and that apple realizes this, they just want to make it worth people's money to buy.