PDA

View Full Version : Bought Time Capsule, now I have questions...

macfearless
Feb 17, 2009, 10:15 AM
I wanted some advice yesterday as to whether or not to buy Time Capsule. Either way, I needed a router and an hd, so I bought one. I use a 12 inch powerbook right now and the hd space on it is not near enough for music and design files. I'm gonna transfer everything to TC so I can use my powerbooks drive as a scratch disk and do work on my PB with no problems. What I wanted to know, was if I can load my itunes library with the music stored on TC when I sync my iPod and phone? Secondly, will the network I create on TC work with connecting my wii? Lastly, is it easy to navigate (finder wise) on TC's drive? I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks guys!

FarSeide
Feb 17, 2009, 10:54 AM
I havent tried loading my music into TC so I cant answer that question but as far as connecting your Wii to TC, you shoudlnt have any issues since you could configure your TC to use N/G/B. Wii doesnt have N so you have to connect via G.

As far as navigation, its easy to navigate through TC since the folder structure is same as what you would find on any HD.

I hope that helps.

macfearless
Feb 17, 2009, 11:09 AM
no, that definitely helps. Thanks! Now, I've just got to get the music thing sorted out and I'll be set.

FarSeide
Feb 17, 2009, 11:12 AM
you could always go into ITunes -> Preferences -> Advanced and change the iTunes Music Folder Location to point to TC but I read somewhere that iTunes will point it back to your local drive if the TC is now found.

macfearless
Feb 17, 2009, 11:22 AM
hmm, that might be a little annoying. also, I can just back up with an ethernet cable right? instead of using time machine? I'm reading about alot of time machine problems. I guess I don't necessarily have to use time machine, do I?

FarSeide
Feb 17, 2009, 11:25 AM
hmm, that might be a little annoying. also, I can just back up with an ethernet cable right? instead of using time machine? I'm reading about alot of time machine problems. I guess I don't necessarily have to use time machine, do I?

the only thing that's PITA (Pain in the ass) is the initial back up which you should do it over ethernet since it will take the longest time to perform. Any subsequent back ups are pretty painless and majority of the time you wont even notice that its backing up.

I would simply put the iTunes library on your local hard drive and get your self a Apple TV so that you could share your library using Apple TV. That's how I'm accessing all my media when I am in the media room.