Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polska9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
i just purchased my first mac, a 2.4 ghz macbook unibody. now any tips to make my experience better? any must have programs? or must have settings to change? thanks in advance

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
make sure you calibrate your battery first. Also some people like to use smc fan control to be able to control there fan speeds, i found no need for it but you may like it. Coconut battery is also another good program for info about your battery. and you could also download istat pro which is a widget for dashboard found on apples site, it monitors everything about your computer and is a good little app to have. Enjoy your new mac:)

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
You might also want to look around for a good screen-calibration profile. It's a little settings file that determines how your display..displays things.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
It's a little settings file that determines how your display..displays things.

Haha! Very thorough my friend, very nice.

A nice tip is to just go through all the System Preferences panes and just look at every setting, and set it all according to what you want. Beats having to later on ask about it here only to get the "please search" response.

polska9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
make sure you calibrate your battery first. Also some people like to use smc fan control to be able to control there fan speeds, i found no need for it but you may like it. Coconut battery is also another good program for info about your battery. and you could also download istat pro which is a widget for dashboard found on apples site, it monitors everything about your computer and is a good little app to have. Enjoy your new mac:)
thanks for istat pro thats super cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.