Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Hey guys,

I run VMware on my Mac with Windows XP Professional, and today I thought I'd download the free trail of Office 2007 Professional to see what it's like, and after the install, I am not happy at all. Here is a list of today's events:

Morning
- Go to MS badly designed website
- Click on Download link
- Dead link, go back, try again, try elsewhere.
- Get asked for my email for an activation key... (why do I even need to do this?!)
- Download a tiny 700kb file... wondering wtf this is...
- Installs/Opens a download manager, starts downloading Office 2007; something I would have expected to do in point 2.
- The file is over 800MB. Woah. This takes a while....

Lunch
- Download manager crashes about 300MB (or about 1hr in), have to start download again.

Late Afternoon
- Finally downloads the whole thing, a long while later.
- Starts extracting the download
- Crashes
- Bluescreen, restarts XP.
- Lanches extraction again, 2 minutes later, crashes...
- Bluescreen, restarts XP.

Evening
- Finishes extraction. Now opens setup.
- On the first step of setup I get an error! I need a new version of Windows Installer, apparently.
- Download this.
- Crashes, Closes.
- Reopen Setup.
- Now installs some rubbish "Live Accounting" or something....!?
- Finishes.
- Now I manually open the actual Office setup.
- Wants my product key/serial. I copied the code from Safari, but wouldn't accept the paste into the box. Had to type it in, letter by letter.
- Finally lets me accept the terms
- Install begins.
- Finally finishes. The install is ironically the smoothest part of the complete day.

I'm no expert at the technology behind installing applications, but NEVER have I gone through so much trouble trying to install and download this one. When I downloaded iWork '09 for a free trial it was far simpler, and just worked - no crashes, no serials, no bugs, no nothing.

But anyway, there you have it. If you're thinking of downloading Office 2007 Professional, be prepared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.