Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legendary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
I'm wondering if there is any ideas on if there will be a 64GB touch soon. I would prefer to have 64 GB as I already have a full 30GB 5th generation iPod Video. Based off when apple released the 32GB last year there should be one coming soon/it should have already come out. Does anyone have any thought on the release. I don't really want to wait till september but knowing me and my birthday presents i always do. I am hoping it comes out friday because now valentines day is over so sales are going down so it would make sense. Anyone have any idea of a release date or think friday or some time by mid-march as possible.

By the way im no newbie i may have just joined this site but i have been a supermod at and ipod related forum and followed this stuff for over a year now.

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Bottom line is that we don't know, and won't know until Apple announces it.

That said, a lot of people (myself included) are expecting a 64GB iPod soonish.

SageEryin

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2009
I'm hoping the 64gig comes out mid march. Because my birthday is in march and my iPod video 5th gen orginal just broke and 32gigs is to small for me.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
google: 64gb ipod touch site:forums.macrumors.com

Few THOUSAND postings on such a thing.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Many, many threads like this.
I have said many times that I expect a 64GB iPod touch / 32GB iPhone to be released this month.
Unfortunately, this is no longer the case due to the fact that last year it was released within the first week or two and it's past that.

iSaygoodbye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
a boat
I'm wondering if there is any ideas on if there will be a 64GB touch soon. I would prefer to have 64 GB as I already have a full 30GB 5th generation iPod Video. Based off when apple released the 32GB last year there should be one coming soon/it should have already come out. Does anyone have any thought on the release. I don't really want to wait till september but knowing me and my birthday presents i always do. I am hoping it comes out friday because now valentines day is over so sales are going down so it would make sense. Anyone have any idea of a release date or think friday or some time by mid-march as possible.

By the way im no newbie i may have just joined this site but i have been a supermod at and ipod related forum and followed this stuff for over a year now.

just because they made a 32 gig this time last year doesnt mean anything. its if there making 32 gig flash chips yet. the 32 gig uses 2 16 gig ones and the 64 gig would use 2 32 gig ones

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Yeah i agree with the last post. Flash technology is what you have to look at. The technology is relatively new and advance fairly rapidly. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 64 gb iPod Touch soon. But by soon I mean this year.

iSaygoodbye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
a boat
Yeah i agree with the last post. Flash technology is what you have to look at. The technology is relatively new and advance fairly rapidly. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 64 gb iPod Touch soon. But by soon I mean this year.

probally within the next four five months

kevzy

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
I've been holding out for a 64GB iPod touch and am hoping for an update over the next few weeks.

I really don't think the iPod touch will go 12 months without an update, also if its not updated by the Summer then that's too close to the usual September revision to be worthwhile. For this reason I think it will come by mid April.

Hopefully with the rumored upcoming updates (mac mini, imac, cinema displays) the 64GB iPod touch will follow....

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Yeah, I'm waiting for a 64GB myself. Can't imagine having any less than that, since I'm moving from an iPod Video 5G 60GB.

Although, a 32GB third gen iPhone could sway me... My current contract with Sprint (blech!) runs out this summer.

Legendary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
why would it not becoming out soon. 32GB chips went into mass production 4th quarter last year, and have continued through to 1st quarter this year. Apple has also been buying a lot of flash memory which is most likely 32GB chips. So I would think April is a bit late for a release. So to me first 2 weeks of march is logical. I'm still hoping now for next week.

adamcod9595

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
September 2009.

The 3rd iPod Touch will come out in September 2009.

I am guessing it will hold the following features:
- 64GB
- External speaker
- Microphone
- Faster internet
- Possibly some form of gaming buttons for extra navigation in gaming

It will also come pre-installed with Apple's 3.0 software.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008

- 64GB
- External speaker
- Microphone
- Faster internet

Its got to have more than that. Increasing the captivity is not a show stopper and in no way requires its own event. I am hoping for some outstanding changes. maybe a snap on game pad of sorts?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Increasing the captivity is not a show stopper and in no way requires its own event.
The event is not about the iPod touch. It is about the entire product line. How do you think they updated the iPod line every year prior? They didn't do much aside from increasing capacity on multiple occasions.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico

- 64GB
That is expected.
- External speaker
Unlikely. It will probably stay internal but get better quality.
- Microphone
There is a chance of that but it may ruin iPhone sales. I believe that it's more likely to come with the headphones that have a built in remote and mic.
- Faster internet
Do you mean a different kind of Wi-Fi?
Very, very, very, unlikely. This isn't a PSP or a DSi.
Obviously... It will most likely come with the most recent firmware which will probably be iPhone OS 3.0 or 3.1. Possibly 3.0.1 since the 2G iPod touch was shipped with iPhone OS 2.0.1.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
still wont buy until camera, and gps.
(and to a lesser extent, microphone)

GPS, no. That would make it thicker. That's not Apple.
And a camera, I can see it getting the camera the current iPhone has while the next iPhone gets an updated "iSight" with video recording and better quality.

adamcod9595

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Yes.

Yes, a camera is likely.

When I said gaming buttons I meant...

The DS and PSP have buttons like 'A' 'B' 'C' 'X' 'square'...

Well I think there is a slight chance that Apple could add 2 or so because the touch-screen is annoying at times and the iPod touch is becoming such an iconic handheld gaming console.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Yes, a camera is likely.

Well I think there is a slight chance that Apple could add 2 or so because the touch-screen is annoying at times and the iPod touch is becoming such an iconic handheld gaming console.

Why do you say that? It's not meant to be the ultimate gaming device.
And it will get better as time progresses, as I expect an upgrade processor and more ram.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Yes, a camera is likely.

I highly doubt that Apple will be adding any kind of accessory that adds gaming buttons, that will be left up to the folks at icontrolpad.com/

buxtone17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
The event is not about the iPod touch. It is about the entire product line. How do you think they updated the iPod line every year prior? They didn't do much aside from increasing capacity on multiple occasions.

The Nano has been completely redesigned every September since it's initial release.

The interface was redesigned by the year on the iPod Classic with each new release. The 4th Gen Classic introduced the color screen and photo viewing. The 5th Gen introduced video. Not sure about any changes between Gen 5 and 6, but I'm sure there were a few.

The only iPod line that hasn't changed dramatically by the year is the shuffle. The 2nd Gen shuffle was released in '06 and the line didn't see any changes until the new, stupid... er... I mean... buttonless model was released.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
The Nano has been completely redesigned every September since it's initial release.
a. There were multiple events prior to the release of the iPod nano where little was done aside from capacity bumps.
b. Recognizing that there are other iPod products to update as well, the even doesn't require an extensive series of ground-breaking developments to the iPod touch to go on.

adamcod9595

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
cant wait

Well anyway, I cant wait.
I currently have an 8gb 1st gen and i want to be able to put my 50 tv shows and 10 films and 2100 songs and 100s of apps on without even using half the capacity

i will purchase a third-gen 64gb for christmas 2009.

cant wait, anyone else cant wait?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.