Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brettatredback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
OK, so after several hours of swearing and cursing, i have my new airport extreme sitting behind my dsl modem now working and connected to the internet.

With my older linksys router, I had the dsl modem set to 'bridge' PPP location mode. That didn't work with the airport extreme it seems and nor did having the PPP on the modem. So, i selected 'PPP on the computer' PPP location mode and that seemed to do the trick.

So, question is -
- why doesn't 'bridge' mode work with the apple extreme? does it, and i'm not doing it right?

- is 'ppp on the computer' ok and any reason to not want this - any degradation in network performance etc??

thanks,
Brett

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
"I think" what you are doing (bridging PPP) limits you to one computer connected at a time - probably recommended by the ISP, right? :) The right way to use a router is to set up the router to do your PPPoE connection authentication and have you computer Not do this anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.