PDA

View Full Version : debating if I should get the alum. macbook

cis4life
Feb 18, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hello Fellow and Fella Mac'ers

Ok, heres the situation

I currently have a white macbook (2.0 ghz Duo Core, I got it like in late 2007 I believe) that I upgraded to a 320 gb Hard drive and 4 gigs of memory.

Now the alum macbooks are out, i'm debating if I should sell my current macbook and get the upgrade even though spec wise, there isn't much differnce.

I guess I'm looking to the future and if my current macbook with work well with snow leopard and so forth.

Has anyone here had the white macbook and upgraded to the alum macbook even though it's basically the same spec wise?

I guess I have a need to have the lastest, I'm just not sure yet???

mknawabi
Feb 18, 2009, 07:46 PM
The only person who can tell whether you really need one or not is you. Apparently you have a mindset of 'latest and greatest' and would shell out the money regardless of what the logical decision is, so...

;)

Cali3350
Feb 18, 2009, 07:53 PM
The ONLY thing the new Macbook would have over your current one is GPU acceleration in Snow Leopard (which isnt really fleshed out currently anyway). I wouldn't recommend buying a new one, but if you can get a good deal do what makes you happy.

cis4life
Feb 18, 2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah,

But at this point it's hard for me to justify a new macbook when the specs are so similar (unless Im missing something).

Do anyone know what the specs for snow leopard will be?

aethelbert
Feb 18, 2009, 08:01 PM
Do anyone know what the specs for snow leopard will be?
It's likely to be compatible with all Intel CPUs. You should see a performance boost on your machine; I really see no reason for an upgrade with 10.6 being your reason.

Eric S.
Feb 18, 2009, 08:16 PM
I have a Blackbook (well my wife has it now) and I upgraded to a 2.4GHz aluminum. If you do graphics intensive stuff you'll probably see a difference, otherwise chances are you won't notice it.

I'd say stay with what you have for now and make the jump when Nehalem-based MBs come out in a year or so. That should be a noticeable performance enhancement. (And by then they'll have fixed the serious bugs in Snow Leopard.)

jbrenn
Feb 18, 2009, 08:27 PM
i had a 2.4 whitebook then got a 2.4 al book and the only time i noticed a difference was when i was playing games. I would wait until the next speed bump and snow leopard then get one.

alphaod
Feb 18, 2009, 08:51 PM
The learned the hard way that the new white MacBook are not the best engineered computers; they are cheaper for a reason; cheaper chassis, cheaper keyboard; I guess there is a reason they charge more for the unibody model.

I think you'll be quite content with the unibody version.