PDA

View Full Version : iPod 5G problem

creator2456
Feb 19, 2009, 02:38 AM
On the way home from school today my iPod (60GB 5G) ran out of battery. Not a big problem on its own.

When I plugged it in my MBP nothing happened. Usually I get the 'very low battery, may take a minute' message on the iPod before it mounts and everything is fine after that. So I tried using my wall adapter to get it started. Nothing as well. I left it on the wall charger while I was at work and now that I am home, still nothing.

It is however very very quickly and repeatedly flashing a white screen. It does not respond to any input from trying to reset it or anything else. The flashing does appear to be random but I can get it to flash more often after inserting/removing the USB connector. Also, there is no audible sound (HD clicks etc.) being made. Just a flashing screen.

Any idea what has happened? Should I start looking at the possibility the iPod has passed away? good excuse for a new one, although expensive

miles01110
Feb 19, 2009, 03:36 AM
Have you tried resetting it (Menu + Select) or diagnostic mode (Rew + FF + Select iirc) to find the problem?

If you do have to get a new one, you might consider just getting a new battery first. They're cheap ($15?) and easy to install.

creator2456
Feb 19, 2009, 04:46 AM
Have you tried resetting it (Menu + Select) or diagnostic mode (Rew + FF + Select iirc) to find the problem?

If you do have to get a new one, you might consider just getting a new battery first. They're cheap ($15?) and easy to install.

I had tried multiple times before posting and nothing I did made a difference.

Now that I read your suggestion and try it I was able to do the reset. Running the diagnostic now to see what it spits out.

creator2456
Feb 19, 2009, 04:20 PM
Well, not quite the flashing screen problem from yesterday. But the iPod has frozen twice already today and needed a reset. Going to try a restore this evening and see how it goes tomorrow.

I want a new iPod, but don't want to have to spend the money. Might have to live without music on the go for a bit or drag out an old CD player from the basement.