PDA

View Full Version : Getting closer to iPod Killer

MorganX
Mar 25, 2004, 09:52 AM
Still a little large and no word on OS, but the designs are getting there. This is the sweetest one yet. (http://www.mp3ok.com/et970.htm)

gwuMACaddict
Mar 25, 2004, 10:05 AM
eh.... i am a little tired of hearing about these iPod killers that play video, audio in, s-video out, makes a mean cup of espresso, doubles as a palm pilot, transforms in to a jet plane... etc...

you get the idea...

i love the iPod for what it is, not all the things it isn't... a VERY WELL designed mp3 player... i don't WANT all that extra crap... maybe thats just me... but i dont see any of these other wacky devices 'killing' the iPod, they're in a different league...

jxyama
Mar 25, 2004, 10:28 AM
looks pretty sleek and smooth...

however, i always find the absence of "battery life" spec in most of these "iPod killer" pages a little inconvenient... :D

(not to mention price.)

gwuMACaddict
Mar 25, 2004, 10:29 AM
however, i always find the absence of "battery life" spec in most of these "iPod killer" pages a little inconvenient... :D

hehehe... excellent point... if apple is having problems, i wanna see what kind of super secret cold fusion power is going on inside of all these other devices to keep them running ;) :p

Krizoitz
Mar 25, 2004, 10:34 AM
eh.... i am a little tired of hearing about these iPod killers that play video, audio in, s-video out, makes a mean cup of espresso, doubles as a palm pilot, transforms in to a jet plane... etc...

you get the idea...

i love the iPod for what it is, not all the things it isn't... a VERY WELL designed mp3 player... i don't WANT all that extra crap... maybe thats just me... but i dont see any of these other wacky devices 'killing' the iPod, they're in a different league...

here here, I am sick of trying to find a cellphone without all the extraneous crap on it. KISS keep it simple stupid, sheesh

jsw
Mar 25, 2004, 10:42 AM
hehehe... excellent point... if apple is having problems, i wanna see what kind of super secret cold fusion power is going on inside of all these other devices to keep them running ;) :p

You know, I love Apple, and I'm about to buy an iPod (back story - my wife bought me an alternate MP3 player a few years ago, and of course I need to wait for it to die, and I think that it's been "accidentally" dropped enough that it's dead now). But, I mean, if these new players are powered by super secret cold fusion, then I just gotta buy one of them. iPods are cool, but come on, super secret cold fusion? That rocks! ;)

Yeah, and that's about the only thing that would make me buy one.

rueyeet
Mar 25, 2004, 11:35 AM
Put me in with the crowd who can't see any purpose in watching anything on the itty bitty screens a portable device would accomodate. It's not like you can watch your favorite movie while walking down the street; if you're going to devote your visual attention to such a device, you're going to be stopping somewhere to do it. And as long as you're stopping, you might as well sit down and watch whatever it is on a decent-sized screen....a laptop, at least.

I can actually see more justifications for a cellphone having video capability, because that would allow realtime video chats. You'd still have to stop to do it, but there's more value in that scenario.

MorganX
Mar 25, 2004, 12:15 PM
looks pretty sleek and smooth...

(not to mention price.)

The ones that do, mention battery of 8-10hrs music, 2-3 video. I'm thinking plane, treadmill, and presentations. 2-4 hours would be adequate, for 1st gen. I'm thinking if I can live with the battery life of my iPod, battery life is not an issue for me. The price will be an issue. The Motorola MPx smartphone which could replace all of my digital devices is looking to come in at $900. That's out of the question.

MorganX
Mar 25, 2004, 12:20 PM
Put me in with the crowd who can't see any purpose in watching anything on the itty bitty screens a portable device would accomodate. It's not like you can watch your favorite movie while walking down the street; if you're going to devote your visual attention to such a device, you're going to be stopping somewhere to do it. And as long as you're stopping, you might as well sit down and watch whatever it is on a decent-sized screen....a laptop, at least.

I can actually see more justifications for a cellphone having video capability, because that would allow realtime video chats. You'd still have to stop to do it, but there's more value in that scenario.

The screens are as big and brighter than Gameboys. That's the long-term market. However, early on, they won't be able to afford one.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 25, 2004, 04:36 PM
ipod killer is getting used too often. it won't be killed. it's immune.

thejazzman10
Mar 25, 2004, 08:21 PM
The only real iPod "killer" is the iPod mini.

crowdaddy
Mar 25, 2004, 09:23 PM
The only real iPod "killer" is the iPod mini.

My Rio Karma has 20GB capacity and has RioDJ that can make playlists on the fly, based on music genre, random, most played, new music, etc.

Got it for 239$American too...friken steal of a deal and it is amazing.

MorganX
Mar 26, 2004, 06:49 AM
The M$ logo was made on a mac.

And Microsoft learned how to create GUI applicaitions on the Mac. Word and Excel were "the" killer GUI apps on the Mac before they were even successful running under the Windows GUI.

The "let's all hate M$" thing comes mostly from fans.

FWIW there will only be an iPod killer if Apple doesn't evolve the iPod and open the platform. It's not just iPod but all high-capacity, high-priced audio only devices.

crazzyeddie
Mar 26, 2004, 08:39 AM
I dont think that qualifies as an iPod killer... its completely different from the iPod at this point. Its not even finalized... lets see if they can get the OS right, and the software for the computer to move data, then we'll see if its an iPod competitor.

5300cs
Mar 26, 2004, 10:33 PM
eh.... i am a little tired of hearing about these iPod killers...

Amen :rolleyes: I got an iPod and am quite happy with it. When they start adding functions like video, etc, then it starts to become a pocket pc.