Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveDmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Hi Everyone

This is my first post, I just switched to mac at the end of last year and bought a unibody macbook pro and love it so far.

This week I got a GoPro Helmet Hero Wide Action cam to test out. I then went to edit some video clips from this on my new mac using imovie. I wanted to speed up some clips but I'm struggling to find out how.

After some reading in my mac handbook it seems I should perhaps downloaded imovie 6 in order to do this. I see it is no longer available as a download from apple though.

Can anyone help with advice on speeding up/slowin down video in the imovie I have or does anyone know where you can still download imovie 6.

Thanks in advance for any advice

SD

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
imovie 08' and imovie 09' arent that good any more, and imovie6 has been taken off the apple servers, in order to get it you will have to

a) torrent it from somewhere
b) find a friend with it
c) go HERE and read, people have uploaded it for other users.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
iMovie 09 does bring back (and actually enhances) the speeding up or slowing down of clips. The enhancement of it comes from now being able to change speeds by a straight percentage rather than just the little coarse slider that was in iMovie HD. It also replaces that slider with a much smoother slider with finer increments.

EDIT: BTW DoFoT9- all the links in that thread are now officially dead!:(

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
iMovie 09 does bring back (and actually enhances) the speeding up or slowing down of clips. The enhancement of it comes from now being able to change speeds by a straight percentage rather than just the little coarse slider that was in iMovie HD. It also replaces that slider with a much smoother slider with finer increments.

oh does it really?? i havent had the chance to use 09' yet, i might have to give it a whirl!

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
oh does it really?? i havent had the chance to use 09' yet, i might have to give it a whirl!

I am actually looking forward to trying out this version myself-- I have just glanced at it so far and have only experimented with the image stabilization addition which is actually astoundingly good for an app at this price!:)

SteveDmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Thanks DoFoT9 looks like I'll look for a friend with it or see if I can torrent it from somewhere

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
stuff

EDIT: BTW DoFoT9- all the links in that thread are now officially dead!:(

ohhh taht sucks, thanks for that!

I am actually looking forward to trying out this version myself-- I have just glanced at it so far and have only experimented with the image stabilization addition which is actually astoundingly good for an app at this price!:)

seems very interesting doesnt it, i wasnt bothered by it because i have 08' and it just plain sucks!! well for me it does anyway, i use FCP now or imovie 6/HD. i wonder if its worth the money, give me a yell if you find out haha.

Thanks DoFoT9 looks like I'll look for a friend with it or see if I can torrent it from somewhere

excellent :) ask us if you need anything else!

SteveDmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Thanks DoFoT9 I'm now up and truckin with my imovie HD from the quick play with it I've had I see a few extra features over the other version of imovie I have :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If you are interested in Movie editing and want some prosumer tools, you should check out Final Cut Express. It is $199, so not that cheap, but worth every penny.

I can't stand iMovie. I want a timeline that makes sense, and I want to be able to see everything as it flows. I hate iMovie for over simplifying things and actually making them more complicated.

mflow

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2009
me too

This is really terrible. I'm pulling my hair out.
I don't know anyone with imovie 6 and I'm too late to find it at any links that haven't expired. Can enough people complain to make Apple restore it?

If you are interested in Movie editing and want some prosumer tools, you should check out Final Cut Express. It is $199, so not that cheap, but worth every penny.

I can't stand iMovie. I want a timeline that makes sense, and I want to be able to see everything as it flows. I hate iMovie for over simplifying things and actually making them more complicated.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If you watch the MacWorld Keynote when the engineer who wrote iMovie 08/09 demoes it, he makes it look really easy and powerful. And I'm sure it is powerful, but he has re-wrote how movies are produced. It's almost a different technique, different timeline functionality etc.

If they had the power of both iMovie 09 and 06 combined with a logical timeline, then we might get somewhere..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.