PDA

View Full Version : High-tech tools help pinpoint gunfire

jsw
Mar 25, 2004, 02:44 PM
Pretty cool...

Link to CNN story (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/03/24/newtech.iraq.ap/index.html)

-------------
New high-tech tools help soldiers pinpoint gunfire in Iraq

The Pentagon is rushing into service in Iraq a pair of technologies developed under its advanced research arm: a Humvee-mounted sensor for pinpointing hostile gunfire and a "command post of the future" designed to cut down on combat leaders' travel and streamline decision-making....
-------------

Now, if you'd incorporate some microphones into the new Apple displays, then motorize the iSight, you could do some cool things...
:)

wdlove
Mar 25, 2004, 09:53 PM
It's awesome to see some 21st Century equipment being used. We need more to protect our troops. They are very valuable.

jsw
Mar 26, 2004, 12:08 PM
It's awesome to see some 21st Century equipment being used. We need more to protect our troops. They are very valuable.

Well, many would say that the best way to protect them would be to not have them there in the first place, but I firmy agree: we need to protect our troops as our number one priority, civilians as our number two priority (or number one - they're both high priorities), and enemy troops as number three. Achieving military goals will infringe on that last priority, but it shouldn't infringe on the first two, and it should infringe minimally on the third (to the extent possible).

Raid
Mar 26, 2004, 01:55 PM
Doesnt' the US have something like a mobile phalanx system that actually sees bullets and can calculate the point of origin? It comes with a weapon that looks more like a box with a grid (rather than a mini-gun) and shoots an insane amount of bullets in just a second or two. ...I thought I saw one on a "weapons of the future" show. Maybe this is it's low rent / less lethal cousin.

MongoTheGeek
Mar 26, 2004, 03:46 PM
Doesnt' the US have something like a mobile phalanx system that actually sees bullets and can calculate the point of origin? It comes with a weapon that looks more like a box with a grid (rather than a mini-gun) and shoots an insane amount of bullets in just a second or two. ...I thought I saw one on a "weapons of the future" show. Maybe this is it's low rent / less lethal cousin.

The FireFinder (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/an-tpq-47.htm) system uses radar and is used for mortars rockets, full blown artillery. It also links into fire control systems so fire can be returned before incoming volley hits. If its hooked up to a MLRS system you are in for a world of pain.