PDA

View Full Version : Overclock Digital Audio G4?

Tuxedo Man
Feb 21, 2009, 01:03 AM
My Digital Audio Power Mac G4 is running at 800 MHz with the 1MB L3 cache but I saw on a website that's it's possible to clock it up more. I have a pretty powerful non-OEM cooling fan on the processor heatsink. I have a resistor in the R5 position so it does run at 800 MHz but I want to get it up to 867 and the site shows that it needs the "jumper set" at R5 and R1 so does that mean I can just leave the existing R5 resistor where it is and just melt a little trace of solder over the R1 to connect the two R1 ends together???

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 22, 2009, 11:14 AM
Yes. Just use a little bit of solder to create the jumpers.
Here's the site if you haven't been there already, Overclock your G4 Quicksilver (http://power-mac-g4.com/g4quicksilverclockup.html).

Just solder the R1 jumper to get to 867mhz. You can always try the 933mhz too to see if it runs stable enough.

Tuxedo Man
Feb 22, 2009, 08:35 PM
Does it matter what kind of solder I use? You think setting it to 1.07 GHz would generate too much heat? Well anyways I'll try 933 MHz, it is enough so I can at least upgrade it to Leopard without doing the open firmware trick.

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 23, 2009, 07:59 AM
Does it matter what kind of solder I use? You think setting it to 1.07 GHz would generate too much heat? Well anyways I'll try 933 MHz, it is enough so I can at least upgrade it to Leopard without doing the open firmware trick.

I doubt it will even start if you go above 867mhz but it's always worth a try ;).