PDA

View Full Version : Internet on PowerBook via iPhone?

ManuelGnR
Feb 21, 2009, 08:55 AM
I have a PowerBook G4 with bluetooth, can I use internet on it through my (to get) iPhone with bluetooth?

Just curious :)

Will it cost more of iPhone's battery life?

Tallest Skil
Feb 21, 2009, 09:00 AM
It's not possible. Sorry.

ManuelGnR
Feb 21, 2009, 09:08 AM
Damn. :D To bad. You're probably sure:D

be300test
Feb 21, 2009, 09:09 AM
I have a PowerBook G4 with bluetooth, can I use internet on it through my (to get) iPhone with bluetooth?

Just curious :)

Will it cost more of iPhone's battery life?

yes you can,

use PDAnet (runs in iphone) program to set up adhoc network and share your 3g connection.

i use it all the time. make sure your carrier supports tethering.

Tallest Skil
Feb 21, 2009, 09:10 AM
yes you can,

use PDAnet (runs in iphone) program to set up adhoc network and share your 3g connection.

i use it all the time. make sure your carrier supports tethering.

PDAnet works over Bluetooth?

And what is the difference between support and allow, since AT&T doesn't allow you to tether the iPhone.

be300test
Feb 21, 2009, 12:38 PM
PDAnet works over Bluetooth?

And what is the difference between support and allow, since AT&T doesn't allow you to tether the iPhone.

pdanetwork works over bluetooth PAN or Wifi

im on rogers in canada with the 6gb plan and it supports tethering.

ManuelGnR
Mar 2, 2010, 11:04 AM
So, getting an old topic back up, how does this actually work?

Now I have my MacBook Air, I would like to try it again..

How do I get this ''PDAnet''?

How do I set this up?

CaptainChunk
Mar 2, 2010, 12:03 PM
Most US carriers don't allow tethering because they want you to pay for dedicated 3G modem devices with their own service plans (and they're typically limited to around 5GB of monthly transfer). It's a big rip-off, if you ask me.

Back in the day, I used to tether my Palm Treo 650 to my PBG4 (at 1xRTT speeds, but it was fine for light browsing and email) before Sprint started getting privy to it and started charging extra. Now, they don't allow tethering at all. Go figure.

MacFan23
Mar 2, 2010, 12:07 PM
PDAnet is good. I use MyWi, it requires a jailbroken iPhone and they are apps in cydia/rock

capacity
Mar 2, 2010, 12:15 PM
If you have a jailbroken 3G or 3GS and it's still on 3.1.2, these instructions show how to enable tethering and how to use it without 3rd party software (like MyWi): http://www.redmondpie.com/enable-tethering-on-iphone-3g-3gs-3.1.2-firmware-eqw846/.

P.S. If you install OpenSSH, change the root password. There are explicitly labeled instructions in Cydia for doing so.

MacFan23
Mar 2, 2010, 12:22 PM
If you have a jailbroken 3G or 3GS and it's still on 3.1.2, these instructions show how to enable tethering and how to use it without 3rd party software (like MyWi): http://www.redmondpie.com/enable-tethering-on-iphone-3g-3gs-3.1.2-firmware-eqw846/.

P.S. If you install OpenSSH, change the root password. There are explicitly labeled instructions in Cydia for doing so.

Is the official tethering option carrier specific? It came as default on my 3GS :confused:

capacity
Mar 2, 2010, 01:44 PM
Is the official tethering option carrier specific? It came as default on my 3GS :confused:

If you have tethering enabled on your phone, then it must be. I have a US AT&T 3G contract, and I did not have tethering enabled on my 3GS until I went through the steps at that link.

ManuelGnR
Mar 5, 2010, 06:11 PM
My iPhone is not jailbroken, and I prefer to keep it that way. So then, there is no option?

delux246
Mar 5, 2010, 06:19 PM
i use PDAnet all the time. I don't use the internet heavily at my house so I canceled my dsl line and just use my phone while its tethered at home and if I need to download anything more then 20mb I take my mbp to work, which is only a mile away and use the internet there...

I don't have an iPhone, I have a android phone but please don't kill me, but my friends that do have the iPhone and use PDAnet all say what you have been saying here...you first have to jailbreak it and then you can tether.

rwd hero
Mar 5, 2010, 07:39 PM
The BENM hack works great for me, I think you have to be on 3.1 or lower though. I have been on 3.0.1 for a long time now.

alphaod
Mar 5, 2010, 09:49 PM
My iPhone is not jailbroken, and I prefer to keep it that way. So then, there is no option?

If you're really in the Netherlands as your profile suggests, I would contact your SP to see if tethering is allowed on your iPhone. If it is, simply go to Settings—>General—>Network and there should be an option that allows you to enable tethering.

If that is the case, then just turn it on and then connect your iPhone to you Mac and the computer will do the rest.