Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brettatredback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Hi All,
My set up is:
2 MPB's
1 Apple TV
2 Airport Extremes - will be set to N, hopefully 5 Ghz - Having trouble in my house with this. Hopefully extending it with an N airport express below will help. Otherwise, will have to revert back to N, 2.4GHz.

Soon to be 1 airport express (N) to extend N network
airport express, G only for g only clients - ie iphone
1 TB drive currently usb wired to 1 MBP
1 1/2 TB drive currently usb wired to same MBP
1 300 GB drive also wired to that MBP

My ripped DVDs from my own collection live on the 1/2 TB drive and my home movies currently live on the 300GB drive. My music lives on my MBP.

So, question to everyone is - how they have set up the location of their media. Have you put all music/dvd's on drives attached to the USB port of an aiport extreme, or like me have them on drives attached directly to the computer or on the computer?

I like the idea of putting it all on a drive attached to a router so my macbook does not need to be connected to those drives for media access. On the other hand, i'd like to be able to take my macbook pro with me and have most of my music/movies with me. The 300GB drive is a portable drive, so currently grabbing that plus my MBP takes all of my music and a lot of my movies with me.

Also - none of my movies (ripped dvd's and home video) are in itunes yet. Do they need to be for Apple TV? That would likely be a problem as itunes currently points to a library on my MBP and importing all movies and home videos into that would really deplete the HD space on my MBP. I only just got my apple TV so haven't seen yet if it can see the movies on my external drives when my MBP is attached or if it could see them on drives attached to the router(s).

Anway, anyone with a similar network and who has found an ideal way of managing and placing their media - for use with apple tv and some portability with MBP - would greatly appreciate their input.

thanks,
Brett

Winnterpeg

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Great White North
I have had my ATV for a few months, and I am by no means an expert on any of this. I have no hacks on my ATV it is hard wired to a D-LINK gigabit N exteme router, I have a DSN-323 network drive with 2 X 500 GB drives in it all hooked up to a PC and I have my iTunes library located on the network drive and do not synch movies to the ATV. All the movies purchased through iTunes, show up automatically on my ATV My Movies. To see my other movies, I do have to "add file" or "add folder" to library, and it does take quite a while for the file(s) to get copied in, but once it is done, you can delete the original "source" file. Very nice, very convenient, very easy.

The big problem I have with the way the ATV is set up on the network, is that my PC must be powered up AND iTunes must be running to access my movies on the network drive. I wish the ATV had some sort of iTunes running on it, so that it can find my library without my PC/iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.