Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I've been seeing more and more threads on here that try to endorse some product by claiming that they are "reviewing" it, when in reality, they work for the company whose product they are trying to endorse!

Just today, I came across this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7145520&posted=1#post7145520

I also know there was some guy from iSkin a while back doing this too, with the iSkin Quattro T4.

Clues that a poster is full of Sh*T: He has almost no posts, except ones endorsing this product. He says only positive things about the product and negative things about competitors products. And, he tries to discredit anyone who responds with something negative about the product.

This is totally and completely unethical, and it jeopardizes the whole integrity of the "forum-based" review system. A lot of us RELY on this place to get honest, no BS reviews of products, before we fork over lots of money for them. People like these posters just ruin it for everyone.

I'm not talking about posters who clearly IDENTIFY THEMSELVES as working for a specific manufacturer, but rather the jackasses who pretend to be regular consumers just trying to "make everyone aware" of some great new product!

I would suggest that we make a sticky, listing companies that do this kind of stuff, and we all make an effort to BOYCOTT those companies.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Busy Bee

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Bad idea. Far better to report shills and spammers to the mods and let them handle it instead of starting a public thread to name and shame forum members without any evidence except yours and others words for it.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Bad idea. Far better to report shills and spammers to the mods and let them handle it instead of starting a public thread to name and shame forum members without any evidence except yours and others words for it.

I understand what you are saying, but just LOOK at this guys posting record. The ONLY thing he ever posts about is this one company, "phonesuit" and how great their cases are. I don't think it's a stretch to say that it's pretty much a lock that he is a shiller!

Busy Bee

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Report it to the mods, then.

You are not judge and jury so be a help to the community and use the
report.gif
button to report any posts that you see that are breaking forum rules.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Report the thread. Mods will take care of it, ranting about it does nothing but add to the spam of it

How do you report something to the mods? Never done it before.

Thanks

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw BusyBee's post.

Edit2: I just reported it. Let's see what happens now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.