Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trailofdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Hi
Any advice on this problem would be great, here goes.

I just got a copy of windows XP OEM service pack 2 and tried installing it on boot camp but its giving me a disk error message and I have to shut down my macbook pro and press alt to gain access.

Anyway I've just read on the troubleshooting guide of the bootcamp manual that you shouldn't use an OEM version (I don't even know what OEM stands for), is this true and are there any ways around this so I can use this copy of xp on my mac-or will I have to just get rid of this copy and get xp service pack 2?

thanks
dan

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hi
Any advice on this problem would be great, here goes.

I just got a copy of windows XP OEM service pack 2 and tried installing it on boot camp but its giving me a disk error message and I have to shut down my macbook pro and press alt to gain access.

Anyway I've just read on the troubleshooting guide of the bootcamp manual that you shouldn't use an OEM version (I don't even know what OEM stands for), is this true and are there any ways around this so I can use this copy of xp on my mac-or will I have to just get rid of this copy and get xp service pack 2?

thanks
dan

What sounds like is happening is that the disk is from a company like Dell or HP where they not only have XP on the disk but all of their drivers and crap as well. OEM=Original Equipment Manufacturer. So you will more than likely have to trash that disk and buy a copy off of Amazon or somewhere else.

trailofdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I was worried someone might say that.

Why is there so many different versions-it pi@?es me off big time-no wonder bill gates is so bloody rich (deep breath dan). I got this copy from ebay and i've just sent the guy an email to see if I can send it back or swap it for xp-fingers crossed, if not that's £45 down the shi%&er!

rant over

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007

Why is there so many different versions-it pi@?es me off big time-no wonder bill gates is so bloody rich (deep breath dan). I got this copy from ebay and i've just sent the guy an email to see if I can send it back or swap it for xp-fingers crossed, if not that's £45 down the shi%&er!

rant over

It's not Bill Gate's doing buddy. What is the exact nature of the message? Did you even get a CD key for it (if you didn't, then that should raise a HUGE red flag)? Was the OEM CD even in the original shrink wrap packaging?

I'm sure jonbravo77 is right. OEM disks from Dell, Hp, ect put BIOS checks to ensure that the computer the disk is being used on is intended for that computer. It's not a Microsoft thing.

So, the person who you should be mad at is either yourself or the person who sold you the disk, depending on what they disclosed or didn't disclose.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California

It's not Bill Gates fault you bought an OEM disc off eBay.

trailofdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I'm confused big time now-it came with one CD and it has windows xp professional includes service pack 2 version 2002 on it. I take it that this isn't a full version as such-just an upgrade if you already have xp.

SIGH!

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Go here and see if the package you received looks legit. If you got a legitimate "System Builder" version of XP SP2 (also called an OEM version), it should have come with a holographic COA sticker that the "system builder" (i.e., you) is supposed to affix to the computer system.

trailofdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
cheers for that, yeah its got a greeny-blue sticker on the back with two holes-one window shaped and one round with a strip going through it and a product key as well-I'm pretty sure its not a hooky bit a software.

Is there no way I can use this copy then :(

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
If you have a legitimate OEM version, it should work. Many folks here have done this successfully, and I've installed an OEM version of Vista Ultimate myself. I don't know why you're getting the error...beyond the obvious (e.g., checking the CD to ensure it isn't scratched or damaged), I don't know what to suggest. Sorry.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My question is, what is the coloring on the disk itself? Can you post a pic of it? and does it say anything other than windows or Microsoft on the disk itself?

trailofdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
the disk is a bronze type colour-includes holigrams , theres no scratches or marks on the top and i've just given it a clean and i'm now trying it again

trailofdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
still no luck, I uninstalled bootcamp and made a new partition (32 gig), put the windows disk in-installed the disk, everything seemed fine-chose bootcamp partition 3 then it loads all the files but then something strange happens.

Once its loaded all the files I have to press any key to continue and then it does the whole process again?-but it says that there's already a OS there (from the first time I installed it). So I quit that and then have to press alt when rebooting the machine to select OSX-I tried selecting the windows drive but it says disk error.

any thoughts

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I've used SystemBuilder versions of XP and Vista in Boot Camp multiple times, and they always worked just fine. If the Boot Camp assistant refuses to accept the disc, just press ALT/OPTION while booting your Mac and select the CD/DVD manually. It -will- work, no matter what the Boot Camp assistant told you before - the assistant is NOT needed to successfully install Windows on a Mac. You also do not even need OS X on your Mac to install Windows; you can use your Mac exactly as if it were a PC without anything Apple on it at all.

However, your error descriptions are not detailed enough to give you some specific advice. Post some more exhaustive descriptions and write down what EXACTLY is happening and what EXACTLY is shown on the screen.

But if the screen just stays black, chances are that you have an OEM medium that only works with a specific PC brand. In that case, it should have printed something like "for use with a new <manufacturer> PC" on the disc. But usually those versions also display an according message on the screen before they stop booting.

trailofdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
thanks....so any ideas what I do now, when I switch on my macbook it comes up with a black screen that says- no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

any way of getting rid of this so it just starts up in osx without having to press the alt key

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
it says on the disc- For distribution with a new pc only

is that bad?
No, that is normal for an OEM version. jonbravo is confusing the "System Builder" versions of MS OS's with "recovery disks" provided by the likes of Dell and HP with their machines. The latter contain customized versions of the OS that won't work with other hardware, while the former are sold by MS to general PC builders and contain versions of the OS that are identical to the full retail versions. The only significant difference with an OEM version is the terms of the license (that's an oversimplification, but the other differences are unimportant here).

Unfortunately, I don't have an OEM version of XP to tell you exactly what to look for. However, I do have OEM versions of Vista Ultimate and Windows Home Server. In both cases, the install disks are bronze-edged with a white center that says "licensed for distribution with a new PC (home server) only." You've already confirmed that you have a COA; the only other thing I can mention is that the package should have come in a white cardboard sleeve with the OEM System Builder License printed on it. From everything you've described so far, it sounds to me like you do have a legitimate copy of the Microsoft OEM product.

If so, do exactly what Winni says above--place the installation CD in your CD drive, reboot your Mac while holding down the Option key, and then choose to boot from the CD.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
No, that is normal for an OEM version. jonbravo is confusing the "System Builder" versions of MS OS's with "recovery disks" provided by the likes of Dell and HP with their machines. The latter contain customized versions of the OS that won't work with other hardware, while the former are sold by MS to general PC builders and contain versions of the OS that are identical to the full retail versions. The only significant difference with an OEM version is the terms of the license (that's an oversimplification, but the other differences are unimportant here).

Let's clarify real quick. Here is the difference between a copy you get from the store straight from Microsoft and a copy that is provided with your PC that comes from Dell or HP or Gateway. The image on the left is of 2 versions of XP, the left package is from the store the right package is from a computer manufacturer which states on page 3 of setup "your computer manufacturer can customize your copy of Windows XP"

The image on the right shows the "For distribution only with a new PC". This is an OEM version of Windows XP that was distributed with a computer bought from one of the above listed companies. This is not a recovery disk, it is the OEM version of XP. As I stated before, the disk you purchased off of ebay could be this same disk in image 2 and could contain changes by the original computer manufacturer. Please read the .doc file as it will tell you the difference between the OS you buy in the store and an OEM OS.

Attachments

• _1010634 v2.jpg
    _1010634 v2.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 61
  • _1010635 v2.jpg
    _1010635 v2.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 53
  • OSLicQA.doc
    49 KB · Views: 206

trailofdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
thanks for messages jonbravo and videofreek. Yes the copy I have is the same as in picture 2. Guess I'll have to get a full version then, what a nightmare this has been

thanks again

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
I'm talking about this. As I've been trying to explain, OEM System Builder versions of Windows are sold by MS and are available through resellers like Amazon or Newegg. The software on the install disk is identical to the full retail version.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I've installed XP on 5 different Macs, for both Boot Camp and Parallels, and always have used OEM "System Builder" versions I've bought from NewEgg. Never had a problem.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
So, if I buy a Vista OEM disc from a store, does that mean it won't run prperly?

If you buy and OEM version off of anyone, you are buying pirated software. The OEM versions are only meant to run on the PC that they come with and are not for resale.

So, if you want XP or Vista, pony up the cash and buy the full version. ;)

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
If you buy and OEM version off of anyone, you are buying pirated software. The OEM versions are only meant to run on the PC that they come with and are not for resale.

So, if you want XP or Vista, pony up the cash and buy the full version. ;)

Meh.

To the OP, you can get OEM software from places like Scan, Dabs, Overclockers etc, and it's definately not illegal - and you don't have to 'pony up the cash' at all to buy a full retail version. That's just stupid and wasting your money. Though in fairness, I'd never buy an OS off eBay even though I use it for all sorts of other things. It just seems wrong lol

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=33&catid=20

To me, it sounds like you have a restore disk personally, not an OEM version, which would be why it's not working as it should. Though without pictures of what you've bought it's hard to tell. You don't happen to have a PC you can test it on do you? Would rule out the disc not being a legit copy...

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Meh.

To the OP, you can get OEM software from places like Scan, Dabs, Overclockers etc, and it's definately not illegal - and you don't have to 'pony up the cash' at all to buy a full retail version. That's just stupid and wasting your money. Though in fairness, I'd never buy an OS off eBay even though I use it for all sorts of other things. It just seems wrong lol

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=33&catid=20

To me, it sounds like you have a restore disk personally, not an OEM version, which would be why it's not working as it should. Though without pictures of what you've bought it's hard to tell. You don't happen to have a PC you can test it on do you? Would rule out the disc not being a legit copy...

Meh all you want. I did a little look on MS website and Overclockers is not an authroized OEM resale in the UK. Therefore it is considered illegal software.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/authdist/UnitedKingdom.mspx

That being said, I should have been a bit more clear. The OEM software that the OP purchased was to be used with a certain PC only and not for resale. Therefore it is pirated software. As for OEM, yes, you can buy a "legal" copy that comes with no support from a certified OEM vendor. The copy in question is not that....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.