Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IanToronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
MobileMe runs too frequently. When it kicks in, my computer slows to a crawl or freezes for a minute. The spinning circle will appear until it clears.

Every time MobileMe kicks in, it seems to rob all the power out of my Pro. If I am typing, it just freezes for a while (spinning circle) and I have to wait for it to "catch up".

Any suggestions, remedies, out there?

Thanks,
I.
:apple:

schizoidwoman

macrumors regular
A sync completely freezing your MBP for a minute dosn't sound right to me (though I could be wrong!); how often is it actually performing a sync?

If changing the sync frequency really isn't going to do it for you, you could simply set it to manual sync only and that would give you complete control over when it happens, especially if it's causing full freezes!

IanToronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
How often is it actually syncing to cause you major problems, as it completely freezing your MBP for a minute doesn't sound quite right to me?

If it's a real problem and changing the frequency really isn't going to do it for you, you could simply set it to manual sync only, which would give you complete control but either way, it sounds as if something isn't quite right with the syncing.

Yes, I am sure there is something wrong with the sync, but I don't know how to diagnose it, then cure it. It really disrupts the flow of my work. Maybe I will have to lug it to Apple's Genius Bar? Grrrr...

schizoidwoman

macrumors regular
Yes, I am sure there is something wrong with the sync, but I don't know how to diagnose it, then cure it. It really disrupts the flow of my work. Maybe I will have to lug it to Apple's Genius Bar? Grrrr...

Before you do that, have you tried MM help (or calling AppleCare if you're covered)? I know the MobileMe help has a bit of a mixed reputation but it might well save you a journey if they can solve it!

IanToronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Before you do that, have you tried MM help (or calling AppleCare if you're covered)? I know the MobileMe help has a bit of a mixed reputation but it might well save you a journey if they can solve it!

Good advice. I will call AppleCare and explain it. Have a start-up problem too. Something in my Apple is rotten and needs to be purged.

Have a feeling it will need a complete diagnostic in the end, but I will try your suggestions first.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
OP, how much ram do you have and what's the size of your hard drive? And are you making the determination based on readings from iStats or some other program to monitor what is going on with your Pro? Which pro are you talking about, the MacBook Pro or the Mac Pro (desktop)?

Technonut2000

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
Mobileme Sync Slows Computer

I am running a MacBook Pro with 3 Gigs memory and 12 gigs FREE hard drive space. When I resume from a sleep the Sync starts nearly immediately and slows everything to a crawl. It still works but can take minutes to just open an email. I too wish there was a way to control sync a little better. I want it to sync all the time when I change things as I have an iPhone and want appointments and contacts to update right away. BUT, I wish it would just do it when my computr is IDLE! After all, when you get on your computer you're actually probably trying to do something. I've working on the habit of opening it 20 minutes before I want to do something so SYNC can do it's thing and then it will be quick when I need it. If sync would just have the option to 'sync when idle' then things would work themselves out quickly.

Is there a way?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
When a MobileMe Sync happens on my Windows Laptop, the CPU spins up to about 10%, the only thing I notice is it swamps the network, sucking down all the bandwidth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.