Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
To take some stuff off my internal HD

I thought i would move my whole itunes library to an external and just have it plugged into my macbook pro when i want to listen to something..

Is this a good idea?

Sorry i am a noob to externals.... i know it sounds thick

some people said its not a good idea but is it a good idea?

Heath

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2005
Canada
All my music and movies are on my firewire external drive and have been for the past few years.
Not a problem whatsoever that I have found yet.

lordspacecowboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2009
Charleston SC
My girlfriend has always had her itunes music on an external. I personally like having my music on my laptop, but nothing bad should happen if you place it on an external.

epyfa

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
http://127.0.0.1
I used to have all my music on en external disk. It's just a little annoying when you go somewhere else or want your Mac to wake you up with music, but you don't want your hard drive to run all the time. Otherwise it works just fine.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Only thing i would recommend is a firewire drive... I have mine on a USB2 drive and when dealing with large objects it can slow down.... i just ordered a 2.5" firewire400 drive to migrate too.

But generally as others have said, plug new drive in (as well as current one), go into preferences and set your library to a folder on the new drive. then once itunes has done that 1st step, go into file, library, consolidate library and let it do its thing.

Once its finished you'll be sorted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.