PDA

View Full Version : New Touch 2g "tethered"?

robo456
Feb 22, 2009, 08:38 AM
Hi guys... I've been reading a bunch of threads about the jailbreaking process of the 2g touches. If someone could just correct this thinking if it's wrong:

I jailbreak the 2g in tethered mode with one of the tutorials out there. I'm able to load some apps and what not. Here's where I'm lost with what I've read. All of the tutorials say once you "turn it off", you'll lose the break.

Does that mean that you won't be able to load any apps manually back on it until you jailbreak it again, but it'll still be 100% usable with the items you already installed? Or will it be 'bricked' and unusable until you attach it back up to the computer?

I'm guessing it's the first part, because it sounds kinda silly that it'd only work while attached to the computer, no?

Thanks for any clarifying!!

--rob

Tokiopop
Feb 22, 2009, 10:16 AM
At the moment, the best JB is the "Semi-tethered Jailbreak"

This means, after you've done the jailbreak process, you can boot the iPhone WITHOUT any computer, but non of the jailbreak stuff will work. also, you can't use WinterBaord as usual. Your JB apps and whatnot will still be on the iPod, and visible, just not usable. For example, when you do a normal boot you'll be able to see Cydia. but when you open it it will just crash.

When you do the tethered boot (booting it with the software on your Mac), all Jailbreak features will work. Once it's booted, you can detach it. The Jailbreak features will continue to work, until the device is turned off.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjjRM7-taeU) is a video about it, and a tutorial on doing it. He also offers other guides on the 2G jailbreak, and how to use WinterBoard with the Semi-tethered JB.

robo456
Feb 22, 2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the link and info!

--rob