Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unionjack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2003
I have a 15" PB G4 1.25, and last night there was a little bit of beer splashed on the keyboard. I say splashed, cause in my immediate panic I turned the computer upside down and nothing actually poured out of the computer - it was all just drops of liquid in, on and around the keyboard and a small part of the screen. I turned it upside down, turned it off, dabbed the keyboard and the screen with a dry towel, wiped off parts of the case with a damp towel, let it dry out... but there appeared to be no liquid that reached the logic board... or at least no damage done by any that did, because every key works fine and there is no disfunction in any of the computational operations I have tried.

I'm searching for any further advice on this situation, as I have followed all the directions of a local repair shop and am "hoping that nothing damaged the logic board." Is there any way to clean under the keyboard? I can see small drops of dried liquid under the keys and of course it smells a little like beer... ack. I don't want to have any corrosion problems down the road, either.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

superfunkomatic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
calgary, ab canada
you should be able to lift out the keyboard by pushing in the keyboard tabs up at the top of the keyboard, above the F-function keys. be careful not to pull it off too hard their is a paper thin connection cable on the back. the tiny set screw at the top is likely unlocked, but if not you'll need a small slotted screwdriver (like a jewellry set) to turn it.
25002_3.gif
just flip the keyboard out give it a wipe have a look around see any of the beer is inside. you're probably alright, although your keys maybe a bit sticky after.

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
yeah, unless there was a fair amount of liquid spilled that would run off the plastic that's under the keyboard & down into the machine, i wouldn't worry too much about it. it sounds like you cleaned it pretty well. i WOULD take the keyboard off like the previous post said & try to get in there w/ a little alcohol on a paper towel or something. especially if a key starts sticking.

my best move was sitting down at my powermac one morning w/ an Eggo waffle on a plate w/ no lip around the edge. i plopped down in my seat & the Eggo did a backflip onto my keyboard syrup-side down. talk about keys sticking. that keyboard made it's way to the trash. i tried my damndest to get all that syrup out...

good luck!

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
carletonmusic said:
maybe I'm not looking hard enough for my "tabs". Are they in the same place for a 17" PB?

Thats for an older PowerBook. I don't think they are actually there on the new(er) ones.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
realityisterror said:
advice to all:
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, LEAVE ANY APPLE PRODUCT AROUND AN INTOXICATED PERSON(S)... INCLUDING YOURSELF!!

thank you...

reality

Beat me to it. I think thats the best advice you can give someone.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
The AluBooks have a built in keyboard (no, I'm not drunk myself ;) ) that is not removable, so I'm guessing the best thing to do is turn it upside down (with the screen out), really fast, and maybe it'll come out.
Good luck,
–Chase

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
your best bet might be to turn off your Powerbook, find where the beer is underneath your keyboard, and push down the keys around it to see if you can reach it with a Q-Tip or something, or even a Kleenex, just an idea

good luck

unionjack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2003
thanks

unfortunately, i have a new 15" PB 1.25ghz, and the keyboard doesn't come off. it was recommended to me that i remove the keys individually to clean underneath.

i tried removing one key and putting it back on, and it was a bit of a hassle... i was also pretty paranoid that i was going to break off the little jack extender sort of things. anybody experienced with the procedure?

machem

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Stockton/Sacramento CA
unionjack said:
unfortunately, i have a new 15" PB 1.25ghz, and the keyboard doesn't come off. it was recommended to me that i remove the keys individually to clean underneath.

i tried removing one key and putting it back on, and it was a bit of a hassle... i was also pretty paranoid that i was going to break off the little jack extender sort of things. anybody experienced with the procedure?

I would worry about doing this yourself --- I broke a couple keys trying to reattach them. A trip to the Apple Store and they did it correctly for me.

The AlBook keyboards are semi-permanently attached. I have heard of people having loosely-attached keyboards fixed at the Genius bar of local Apple Stores. If you are nearby one, you might try that --- they would probably open it up so it could be cleaned (it would at least keep any Homers away from the computer because of the smell). This may totally depend upon the genius who is manning the bar, however.

Good luck --- my wife just fried her laptop by spilling about 20 mL of soda on the keyboard. It was a Dell, so it's just as well.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I would agree with the rest. If you feel that it is a problem, try swabbing with a tissue or q-tip. If you don't feel satisfied, take it to an Apple Store. They're understanding, they drink too.

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
In my experience with Laptops (no apple ones yet), they can take a lot of beating, and still run. I was working late, and drinking lots of coffee. Not paying attention, I hit my mug, and a large amount of coffee went into my Thinkpad's keyboard. You would be amazed at how fast one can power off a laptop, and flip it upside down. After 10 minutes of cleaning, it powered up, and did seem to have any issues. The trackpoint didn't work correctly for an hour or so, but I guess things dried out enough, and it started working again... Of course whenever my laptop gets hot, I can smell the nice aroma of french roast :D .

Samuel L Bronkowitz

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
advice...

> I'm searching for any further advice on this situation

don't have drinks around your computer! especially drinks that contain alcohol. someone posts every other week with the same problem, what gives? "it can't happen to me, nope, not me."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.