Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macomac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I'm really hoping someone can bail me out here. I'm trying to add sound in the background of a iDVD 7 menu, and it's driving me crazy. I've tried dragging the audio file from the media pane to the dvd menu, to the inspector window and to the menu drop box several times (just like the manual instructs) and it won't work. It doesn't play back or burn with the sound in the menu.

Any ideas as to why?

Thanks a bunch!

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I imagine this is a dumb question after everything you have tried, but I've got to ask-- the loop duration is not set at "00:00" is it (when you add the sound into the menu info inspector)?

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 542

Tamaracboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
Same menu sound problem

I imagine this is a dumb question after everything you have tried, but I've got to ask-- the loop duration is not set at "00:00" is it (when you add the sound into the menu info inspector)?

I have same problem as macomac.
Main menu will NOT accept any sound.
Have been able to remove original sound from theme exactly as expected.
Have tried every possible combination of dragging and dropping into menu background or well.
Loop slider is at max, adjusted length of sound file, tried both mp3 and aiff formats and every possible combination.
iDVD just stops responding & have to force quit.
Also volume slider likes to reset to 0.0 and not move.
Any help out there ?
Thanks.

blanco47

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
Try this:

1. Open the menu where you are having audio problems
2. Click on the drop zone icon to open the drop zones
3. Move the music (the iTunes music notes) that you've placed here out of the menu box
4. By getting the music icon out of the way, you will reveal a tiny black sound/audio icon
5. If you strain your eyes and look real close you will see that there are no sound waves coming out of the sound icon
6. Click on the icon and tiny black sound waves will appear
7. You have now "unmuted" your menu
8. Drop your music selection back into the menu drop zone
9. You now have sound!

McGonogle

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
Thank You

blanco47, thank you so much! I had been struggling with this for hours and tried all the other suggestions I had found but none seemed to work. It was that little tiny image of the sound being muted was the issue - I had seen the image but it didn't occur to me that it was indicated that it was muted, I just thought it was indicating that sound could be added.

It would have been nice to have that in the options screen. Maybe next version...

Thanks again!

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I am having the same issue, and the above solution does not work. There is no way to "unmute" the audio by removing the added audio, because you cannot adjust the volume when there is no file added. :mad:

edit: I just made a completely new project and it worked fine. No idea.

Last edited:

Culpface

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Worked Great!

Thanks for the help Blanco47, I was frustrated and looked at a number of online links that gave me simple 'help menu' suggestions. This actually fixed my problem. b_scott, you need to click the drop zone menu again after taking the music out and it will fix the problem (hopefully). Back to my DVD.

MaryBoog

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
Netherlands
Where is the drop zone icon?

Can someone please show me where that drop zone icon is? I still have the same problem in iDVD but just cannot get it solved...
and... when I've added my own music in the menu and I deleted it again, the original iDVD menu sound is below it again?

Edit: after staring and staring I've figured it out and found the tiny black icon. Jeee... why do they make this so difficult???

Last edited:

PBLRDom

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
Try this:

3. Move the music (the iTunes music notes) that you've placed here out of the menu box
4. By getting the music icon out of the way, you will reveal a tiny black sound/audio icon
5. If you strain your eyes and look real close you will see that there are no sound waves coming out of the sound icon
9. You now have sound!

god among men! Thanks!!!

Reactions: idanickim

HawaiiMac

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Mahalo!

Try this:

9. You now have sound!

Thank you so much! We had spent hours (using every trick we could imagine). Your solution took less than two minutes to work!! :)

LiveLife2012

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
iDVD rotating pictures

I'm sure this is an easy fix, but I don't know where to go / look. I have several pictures in a completed iDVD that were fine outside of the iDVD program, but once I put them into a slide show, they laid on their side so instead of being vertical pictures they are now horizontal / sideways. How do I rotate them?

emolly

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Still have problem

I did all the step but still I can't hear any music when preview. How to make sure there is background music in the meun before I burn the DVD?
Thank you!

Try this:

9. You now have sound!

Riley3

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
Thank you!!

I have been trying to figure this out for hours. Thank you so much blanco47 for posting how to fix the problem!!!! :):):):)

Patbaggs

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2021
Try this:

9. You now have sound!
Thank God for forums, I just couldn’t understand what was going on, although when I removed the iTunes icon the audio icon did have sound waves coming out of it, so I clicked it off and then back on again. Hey presto we have sound thank you very much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.