Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Using the Firewire Cable and Dock to sync my iPod isn't THAT much of a hassle, but I was wondering about the possibility of using Bluetooth for the same. I imagine the data transfer rate is probably a lot lower, but could it ever become an option, if you just want to sync up a few new playlists - and use the cable for large transfers??

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
airport extreme would be a much better option in terms of bandwidth
bluetooth doesn't have enough speed for much of anything

carletonmusic said:
Using the Firewire Cable and Dock to sync my iPod isn't THAT much of a hassle, but I was wondering about the possibility of using Bluetooth for the same. I imagine the data transfer rate is probably a lot lower, but could it ever become an option, if you just want to sync up a few new playlists - and use the cable for large transfers??

SyndicateX

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
I just think it would be cool to have bluetooth headphones and remote. Having wireless headphones and a little remote in my pocket with an ipod in my backpack / across the room hooked up to a stereo would be VERY cool! :p It would also be good for iSync transfers for your contacts and calendar. And if apple does come out with a home media device bluetooth would have enough transfer ability to stream wirelessly to it!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
hmmm....yes any sort of wireless transfer, headphones, ect would dramatically deplete your battery.....but one thing that would be awesome would be a dock that you plugged in and this could broadcast airport or bluetooth, stream to your stereo ect, after all what would be the point of the bluetooth in the actual iPod, what need for it would you have on the go?

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
PlaceofDis said:
after all what would be the point of the bluetooth in the actual iPod, what need for it would you have on the go?

Well it would be nice if you could just walk through the door and have it sync automatically with iTunes. Or as your editing you iTunes files/play lists it saves the changes on your iPod as well. I think bluetooth in your iPod would be really cool. If I could advance songs remotely from my laptop that would be a benefit too. I hope to see this feature in the newer iPods, but sadly I don't think it would benefit the masses enough to justify it.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I have heard that the next generation of Bluetooth will be 10x faster. Maybe that will expand the potential useage of its capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.