Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaronLaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
I own a G4 iBook and have been generally pleased with its performance, but I'm having difficulty getting the laptop to stay asleep.

When I go to the Apple Menu Bar and select sleep, the screen will go black for a few seconds whereupon the hard drive will emit a whirring sound and the screen lights up once again.

Any ideas on how to correct this problem ?

Thanks

BaronLaw

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
BaronLaw said:
I own a G4 iBook and have been generally pleased with its performance, but I'm having difficulty getting the laptop to stay asleep.

When I go to the Apple Menu Bar and select sleep, the screen will go black for a few seconds whereupon the hard drive will emit a whirring sound and the screen lights up once again.

Thanks

BaronLaw

Have you rebult permissions? You do this with Disk Utility, located in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.

Also look at your Energy Saver control panel.

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
BaronLaw said:

Thanks

BaronLaw

Sounds like a power manager issue to me - reset your powermanager (shut down, restart while holding command, option, P, R till you hear the chime, keep the key combination down till you have heard the chime 5 times) and see whether it has solved it.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
BaronLaw said:

Thanks

BaronLaw

try putting it to sleep from the login window at the bottom left. this may work. more hassle but its faster than rebooting all the time.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
BaronLaw said:

Thanks

BaronLaw

Try putting it to sleep by closing the lid. If this doesn't work, check your Energy Saver settings - tell us what they are.

Also (I think this may be the culprit), make sure you don't have anything going on which could appear as action to the iBook (downloading something, screensaver as desktop picture hack, movie playing, etc.)

BaronLaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful.

It appears that the problem has been dealt with. My iBook is able to sleep soundly now. I'm still a bit puzzled as to what caused this.

I thought it might have been a DVD I had left inside the drive, and I removed it, but it didn't help matters. I fiddled with the energy saver settings, looked at the utilities and then I performed a software update. After restarting the computer, voila, the iBook sleeps.

Thanks again.

BaronLaw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.