PDA

View Full Version : Pulling info from iPhone backup?

upsguy27
Feb 23, 2009, 10:44 PM
As some of you know, my iPhone was stolen, and I had it backed up. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to afford another iPhone, so I was wondering if I could pull info like contacts from the iPhone backups created by iTunes. I really need my contacts back.

Katuls
Feb 23, 2009, 10:51 PM
No, you can't.

Why would you start another topic? You could have just added on to your previous one..

dave006
Feb 23, 2009, 10:51 PM
As some of you know, my iPhone was stolen, and I had it backed up. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to afford another iPhone, so I was wondering if I could pull info like contacts from the iPhone backups created by iTunes. I really need my contacts back.Did you happen to have your iphone contacts set to sync to an application on your computer?

Some examples for the iPhone 3G Users Guide:

You can sync contacts with applications such as Mac OS X Address Book, Microsoft Entourage, Yahoo! Address Book, and Google Address Book on a Mac, or with Yahoo! Address Book, Google Address Book, Windows Address Book (Outlook Express), Vista Contacts, or Microsoft Outlook 2003 or 2007 on a PC. (On a Mac, you can sync contacts with multiple applications. On a PC, you can sync contacts with only one application at a time.)

Dave

grantrobarts
Feb 23, 2009, 10:52 PM
Are you on a Mac or Windows machine? Because your contacts should already be in your Apple Contacts app.

shady825
Feb 23, 2009, 10:54 PM
You can sync contacts with applications such as Mac OS X Address Book
Dave

I absolutely LOVE this feature! It keeps everything in sync and I always have my contacts available.

upsguy27
Feb 23, 2009, 10:58 PM
No, it didn't sync with the Address Book app. Are the contacts still stored in the backup files?

dave006
Feb 23, 2009, 11:07 PM
No, it didn't sync with the Address Book app. Are the contacts still stored in the backup files?Yes, they are in the backup because they are not stored on the SIM. You odds of extracting are very slim.

Do you know someone that can / will let you borrow their iPhone 3G for you to do a restore and then a sync as that would be the fastest way for you to get your missing contact.

Here is a link to get started on the hard way of recovering your contacts:

http://www.uninnovate.com/2007/07/11/dear-iphone-give-me-my-data/

Dave

upsguy27
Feb 23, 2009, 11:10 PM
Yes, they are in the backup because they are not stored on the SIM. You odds of extracting are very slim.

Do you know someone that can / will let you borrow their iPhone 3G for you to do a restore and then a sync as that would be the fastest way for you to get your missing contact.

Here is a link to get started on the hard way of recovering your contacts:

http://www.uninnovate.com/2007/07/11/dear-iphone-give-me-my-data/

Dave

Could I restore to an original iPhone?

dave006
Feb 24, 2009, 12:12 AM
Very good question. I have tried it or even heard about someone trying that but what do you have to loose at this point. Just make sure that you don't break the original iPhone in the process.

How was your iPhone 3G setup? Jailbroke / Unlocked, and what level of software did you have? 2.0 2.21, etc...

Is the oriiginal iPhone at the same OS level?

Dave

upsguy27
Feb 24, 2009, 10:11 AM
Very good question. I have tried it or even heard about someone trying that but what do you have to loose at this point. Just make sure that you don't break the original iPhone in the process.

How was your iPhone 3G setup? Jailbroke / Unlocked, and what level of software did you have? 2.0 2.21, etc...

Is the oriiginal iPhone at the same OS level?

Dave

My iPhone was Jailbroken, on 2.2. The original is on 2.1 and jailbroken.

firewood
Feb 24, 2009, 10:28 AM
Yes you can... on a Mac.

There are Perl scripts available that will reassemble the iPhone backup files into SQLite databases, and you can read fields from SQLite databases using the terminal command line tool sqlite3 on a Mac. Easy if you know command line tools, and a little query language and scripting language programming.

:cool:

dZp
Feb 24, 2009, 12:43 PM
Easy if you know command line tools, and a little query language and scripting language programming.
Or if you feel that your backup data is worth $20 and want to save yourself some time / trouble, there's MobileSyncBrowser (http://homepage.mac.com/vaughn/msync/) that will extract the stuff from the .sqlitedb database file.

upsguy27
Mar 14, 2009, 04:46 PM
Just wanted to say I got all my contacts back by syncing my new iPod touch and restoring from my iPhone backup when it prompted me to. So glad I have them all now :D