Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
I'm using my macbook pro at the desk all the time. is it worth it turning off the SMS to reserve battery power?

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
lol. i mean everywhere's desk when sometimes there is no electricity outlet at all.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I doubt the SMS is drawing much power... I doubt its even active unless your notebook is falling (and it isnt- its on a desk). try lowering your screen brightness. that'll have a HUGE effect. disabling the SMS may add a minute, maybe not even. you wouldnt notice.

if someone knows about the SMS for certain, feel free to correct me. however, I'm pretty sure the SMS's electrical need is minimal...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The biggest impact I've found on battery life is screen brightness. Crank it down to half and you'll get a LOT more battery life. I've done some non-scientific experimenting with Bluetooth vs USB dongles and the trackpad.... they all seem to use about the same amount of juice... and not nearly as much as screen brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.