Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lavezzi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I got assaulted the other night and unfortunately dropped my MBP which was in my bag. I had my encase cover on it, but it doesn't seem to have stopped the inevitable damage.

I know I will have to take it to an Apple store to get it looked at, but does anyone have a rough estimate about how much it would cost to fix?

tndscf2715.jpg

tndscf2717.jpg

tndscf2719.jpg

tndscf2721.jpg

You can probably imagine the look on my face when I saw the left hand corner..

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Wow that's horrible! I would probably get a heart attack if that would happen to me :(
Anyway, to your question. Since they have to practically replace the whole screen and whole inside including keyboard, I'd say your looking at at least 600$ to 1,000$.
Sounds like a tough one to swallow, but I really wish you the best with getting it repaired!

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Thats very sad, its bad youve been assaulted and Apple may take kindly if you make an emotional appeal, especially if you need the Macbook for college or something but i cant promise anything.

The cost of the repair, well assuming its just the cosmetic damage you've shown will be $900 as thats a Tier 3 repair.

New Aluminium Bottom Case
New Upper Bottom Case + Keyboard (as the keyboard is built into the upper bottom case)
New Screen inluding LCD Panel (as the panel is built into the screen case as one part)

mrweems

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2009
i just threw up a thread similar to this.

I dropped my BMP 15'' santa rosa.

Yeah 3 months later it died. After 2 months i saw battery issues.

Mine pretty much had damages in the same area.

My charges for fixing. $1200. hope your insides aren't ****ed.

be300test

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
judging by the warped expresscard slot, could be very expensive (damage went quite high up).

a drop like that can damage the cpu especially if there is alot of shock to the heatsink / fan assembly.

does the unit run ?

josh

macandra

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
awww you poor little thing!
look what they done to this beaut..
hope you and your mbp can get well soon,

Mark2000

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Listen, Apple stores are usually good about helping you out. The individual geniuses have pretty much full discretion. When some dope spilled coffee on my machine the genius comped the repair because it wasn't my fault. Go there and let them know how it happened. If you have a police report especially bring that as proof. I guarantee they'll help you. If not, then write to sjobs@apple.com and they WILL respond. Trust me.

claughery

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2003
look at powerbookmedic.com... They carry some extra unibody parts and such.
also, just wondering.... was it one of the incase hardshell cases that you had on your mbp???

Lavezzi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I'm feeling much better than I was the morning after - thanks for the concern guys!

It was a softcase, but it was dropped on concrete..!

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Same happened to me, although I was not assaulted just merely dropped out of my bag getting out of the car. My business insurance covered mine. I took the funds and bought a new mbp 17, which will arrive shortly.

attachment.php

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I Would be looking to claim on the insurance somehow, you must be covered for something like this.

cleung

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Hong Kong
I didn't get assaulted but a friend of a friend knocked my MBP from my desk onto the floor (at home) several months ago. I have similar dents on the case and I think the left side of my speakers crapped out as well. I'm in Hong Kong and the authorized repair center quoted me something about US$300 to swap out a new case. I have the Rev A MBP, not the unibody ones. I opted to not get it fixed as mine was mostly cosmetic and I hardly ever use my speakers as I play iTunes through AirTunes. Good luck with your repair and I hope you're ok.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^^Only $300? I'm surprised.

I doubt you'll get anything from Apple, even if you were assaulted. What does being assaulted have to do with fixing a laptop out of warranty, right? It doesn't hurt to try, but I'd be shocked if they replaced the entire unibody case for you. Nothing else really has to be replaced other than the aluminium shell, right?

Anyway, this is why you choose a REAL sleeve when you go shopping for one. None of the neoprene cases, AppleSacs, etc. Get a Zeroshock or another shock absorbing foam sleeve. The only times I recommend the soft cases to someone is when I'm in a great, optimistic mood, and even then I'm a bit hesitant. :eek:

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Listen, Apple stores are usually good about helping you out. The individual geniuses have pretty much full discretion. When some dope spilled coffee on my machine the genius comped the repair because it wasn't my fault. Go there and let them know how it happened. If you have a police report especially bring that as proof. I guarantee they'll help you. If not, then write to sjobs@apple.com and they WILL respond. Trust me.

I would second the police report, if you got one (I'm sure you do...)

Even if they don't fix it for free, they may make the cost of repair more reasonable.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Does it still work? If it was me, I'd probably keep it lol, looks kinda cool :p. Sorry you were assaulted though =\

Lavezzi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I went to try and see a genius this weekend. I had to go to three stores before I could get an appointment to see someone (Regent Street, Bluewater and then Lakeside), and when I eventually did it was 40 minutes behind schedule.

The guy who was doing it didn't seem that sympathetic, and I was pretty annoyed that he didn't apologise for making me wait all that time.

If anyone was interested, the repair estimate amounted to £531.30.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.