PDA

View Full Version : WD 2TB sata internal in a Power Mac G5?

xBeeza
Feb 24, 2009, 12:59 PM
Has anyone installed the new internal Western Digital Sata 2TB drive in their Power Mac G5 yet? Is it working without any issues?

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 24, 2009, 03:28 PM
It does have good reviews on newegg. But it's still too early to really know how well it performs. I'd like to see who has 2 of these in their G5's in a RAID :D.

xBeeza
Feb 24, 2009, 04:48 PM
It does have good reviews on newegg. But it's still too early to really know how well it performs. I'd like to see who has 2 of these in their G5's in a RAID :D.

Thanks for the reply. I too would like to see if anyone is running 2 in their G5's. I have a Mac Pro and an old G5 that I want to use as a backup Networked Data Server. The WD site says that the new 2TB only supports Windows OS.

Is there anyone out there using one in a Mac OS machine ? Also has anyone added a 3rd internal Sata drive to their G5? I assume there are internal brackets that you can buy to add extra drives but does the G5 have extra Sata ports on the motherboard to support extra drives like the Mac Pro ?

MAC-PRO-DEMON
Feb 24, 2009, 04:54 PM
I have 1TB and 2TB drives + 2 300GB Veloceraptors in Raid... Currently in my Mac Pro... As far as I know, no harddrive is windows only... And as I have explained, I have one in my mac pro for storage...

Jack
It is quite expensive, so maybe wait off before buying one!!!

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 24, 2009, 07:31 PM
Also has anyone added a 3rd internal Sata drive to their G5? I assume there are internal brackets that you can buy to add extra drives but does the G5 have extra Sata ports on the motherboard to support extra drives like the Mac Pro ?

No there are no extra SATA ports. You could actually install a 3rd IDE hard drive in place of the optical drive if you want to it do it that way ;).

There are 3rd party hardware that adds extra SATA hard drives inside the G5 Powermacs. http://www.sonnettech.com/product/g5_jive.html