PDA

View Full Version : who you gonna call? ghostbusters!

Don't panic
Mar 27, 2004, 01:13 PM
talk about paranoia!
American Airlines stopped a flight because a friggin' psychic "sensed" there was a bomb on board!
they should refund the unfortunate passengers 10x, fire the idiot who decided to give credibility to the call and jail/charge the psychic with some false alarm kind of felony (whatever that is called)
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/27/psychic.plane.ap/index.html
how pathetic

PlaceofDis
Mar 27, 2004, 01:31 PM
kind of ridiculous, but hey at least the airlines are taking measures to insure safety, i mean if someone called up and said that thier might be a bomb on your flight, wouldnt you want it checked out?

Don't panic
Mar 27, 2004, 01:54 PM
kind of ridiculous, but hey at least the airlines are taking measures to insure safety, i mean if someone called up and said that thier might be a bomb on your flight, wouldnt you want it checked out?

If someone calls and says "I am a psychic, and I sense there is a bomb on the plane", than no, I wouldn't want to waste everybody's time and considerable resources on a mythomaniac.
Remember the boy who cried wolf?

[edit:spelling]

wdlove
Mar 27, 2004, 03:26 PM
In this time in our history you can't be too careful. I wouldn't want to be that person that didn't follow through. It does seem that the airlines are having a lot of problems. There was the pilot that ask if there are any Christians aboard.

JesseJames
Mar 27, 2004, 03:27 PM
If I was a passenger on the plane I would've slapped her. Then say "You should've seen that coming.".

portent
Mar 27, 2004, 04:43 PM
talk about paranoia!
American Airlines stopped a flight because a friggin' psychic "sensed" there was a bomb on board!
they should refund the unfortunate passengers 10x, fire the idiot who decided to give credibility to the call and jail/charge the psychic with some false alarm kind of felony (whatever that is called)
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/27/psychic.plane.ap/index.html
how pathetic

I agree. As far as I'm concerned, this should've been treated like any other bomb threat. The flight should have been searched, and the "Psychic" arrested for calling a false bomb threat [when] it didn't pan out.

MrMacMan
Mar 28, 2004, 12:20 AM
Well think about it like this:

She was crazy and SHE had the bomb... get it?

She 'senses' there is a bomb because she has one... there is a reason to land the place therefore.

thatwendigo
Mar 28, 2004, 01:03 AM
In this time in our history you can't be too careful. I wouldn't want to be that person that didn't follow through. It does seem that the airlines are having a lot of problems. There was the pilot that ask if there are any Christians aboard.

At this time in our history? Since when have things become inherently more dangerous than before?

We've had bombings, highjackings, serial killers, school shootings, mass murder, genocide, ethnic cleansing, and other varieties of nastiness ever since the technology has existed to allow it to happen. The prevelent difference is that we now live in a world where the media can be sure that everyone knows this stuff is going on. It's not any newer, or any worse than it has been, you're just having it piped into your livingroom by people who are trying to make money off of your fear.

I hear constant rants from people here, where I live, about 'not letting the terrorists' win. Make a change in your life, spare a thought for their demands, and you've handed them exactly what they want. The game of a terorrist organization is one of alteration - whether economic, societal, or otherwise. They want people to change some aspect of their behavior, and if you do it, then they accomplish their goal in part. We, as Americans, have already handed al Qaeda a firm success in their attempt to change our lives. The Department of Homeland Security spreads low-grade annoyance and fear amongst the populace, and Republican congressmen have been ramrodding an agenda they've had wet dreams over for decades.

Just a few points to consider:
-The USA Patriot Act removed law enforcement restrictions on roving wiretaps, the sharing of information between the CIA and FBI, the way that FICA is handled, and standards of investigation and evidence gathering in domestic cases. Also included are warrantless searched, which would seem to be more than a little against the 4th Ammendment.
-The military tribunals that aren't supposed to try civilians are being set up to do exactly that. Currently sitting in military prisons, including an offshore Navy brig, are three US civilians who are merely under suspicion of having something to do with terrorism. One name, Jose Padilla, is moderately infamous for being thealleged 'dirty bomb' planner, though the government won't charge him in civilian court and is illegally holding him incommunicado. Another, Mike Hawash, has gathered a following of concerned civil libertarians on the internet. He's an Intel engineer that was hauled out of his home, in front of his children, and put into maximum security prison as a custody measure that states its purpose is to keep him as a 'material witness.' No public trial has been called for him to testify in.
-Kellog, Brown, and Root, the company that does the Army's logistical support in Iraq, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the former Cheney-directed Halliburton. In addition to this fact, he and many of the Republicans who are currently in power are members of a policy group formed during the Clinton Administration. To name a few: Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, Elliot Abrams, Zalmay Kalizad, Donald Rumsfeld, and Stephen Rosen. You might recognize two of those as being Secretary and Assitant-Secretary of the Department of Defense, which has been pushing this war.

What we ought to be worried about is the state of our own country, not what someone outside may or may not be doing. We are sliding down into a culture that is completely against the ideals of the French philosophes that inspired the creators of our nation. "Liberete, egalite, fraternite," they would say - liberty, equality, and brotherhood. We're losing liberty to the whims of an incresingly invasive federal government, losing equality to a more powerful and vocal social conservative movement, and, well... Brotherhood's a hard one. Have you seen how famillies fight? :D

Do us all a favor. No matter what way you vote, who you choose to support, or what causes you believe in... Read up and be informed, and vote! Don't be content to let your life be decided for you by Washington, because that's how tyrranies are made. Don't let our freedom and rights become secondary to fear, because you're as statisically likely to die by lightning strike as you are to be involved in a terrorist incident. What's next, a congressional ban on thuderstorms for being too French? :rolleyes:

macka
Mar 28, 2004, 01:45 AM
If I was a passenger on the plane I would've slapped her. Then say "You should've seen that coming.".

I had to laugh. ;)

But yeah, that's quite stupefying. They stop planes because psychics say so, they go to war because intelligence say so.

Great. Nice to know that the community's actions are based on such reliable and valid information aye? :rolleyes:

Freakk123
Mar 28, 2004, 04:36 PM
I agree. As far as I'm concerned, this should've been treated like any other bomb threat. The flight should have been searched, and the "Psychic" arrested for calling a false bomb threat [when] it didn't pan out.
I totally agree with her. For making a bomb threat, she should be arrested. I understand why they searched the plane, and while it seems a little irrational, they still had a reason to be concerned, as what the psychic did was essentially a bomb threat.

Also, is incommunicado a real word? I know incognito, but have never heard this one before! If so, then I need to start employing it into everyday conversation, like I do with every other word I know that most of my friends don't, like brobdinagian, or corpulence. I got those from FoxTrot!

Opteron
Mar 28, 2004, 06:15 PM

Gold,

Amercan's are so scared of the unknown, it's funney.
EEK what's that? SHOOT IT.
opp's it was a small kid.