Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you use your MBA?

• My only computer, I use it for everything

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • I use it a lot and should probably ditch my other computer

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I use it a lot, but have another computer for more intensive tasks

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I use it 50/50 with my other computer

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I use it less than my other computer

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • I bought it for show, not to use

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don't use it much at all

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
IF and I mean IF I ever bought one I would definitely use it 50/50 or more(Maybe I would ditch my other computer).
I would love to carry it around, and not even notice it. I'd use it all the time.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
My Refurb MBA Rev A 1.6GHz HDD supplements my iMac for light tasks while I'm away from my workdesk and it's perfect and trouble-free in this role for me. :)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I was using it as my 3rd computer for its transportability, since I have a Mac Pro 3.0 at home and a MBP as my primary workhorse computer. Now, I don't even use the MBAir b/c I gave it and all my accessories back to Apple for a full-refund. My MBAir ABUSED me...:mad:

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I use my MBA all the time!!
I am actually typing right now, while watching a movie on my iMac!!

Looooove my MBA

Turmoil

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
My Air is my main day to day computer. i use it for just about everything. I have others that do specific tasks, but I usually control them and my world with the Air. I one of the very happy Rev A refurb owners. It does every thing I need and some.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
Have a rev. a which isn't enough to be my main comp. Upgrading to a rev. b which hopefully will be.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I've got an iMac as my main machine at home for work and play. When I hit Starbucks or feel like working from somewhere else in the house, I grab my MBP. I take the MBA when I head downtown to visit clients.

I keep my Air pretty empty--I don't have any music or photos on there, just all my work documents--while the MBP is pretty much a mirror image of my iMac.

I try to give all three machines equal attention.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
I've got an iMac as my main machine at home for work and play. When I hit Starbucks or feel like working from somewhere else in the house, I grab my MBP. I take the MBA when I head downtown to visit clients.

I keep my Air pretty empty--I don't have any music or photos on there, just all my work documents--while the MBP is pretty much a mirror image of my iMac.

I try to give all three machines equal attention.

I have this setup except without the MBP... no need really since the combo of the iPhone and MBA handle most all of on the go tasks. The Air is easier to lug around to starbucks... one bag of work versus 2.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I would also love to know whether original or new MBA and if new, is it SSD. I think the real reason I use my MBA all of the time is because it's a new model with SSD. I am so impressed that with a much slower CPU, it's so much faster with the SSD. When I had the original MBA, it was my third option that I would use only for email and writing.

I have a unibody MB that never gets used. I bought a 2.33 GHz MBP w/256 graphics as my Windows machine and as my kids gaming & video machine. I have to use Windows one day per month for a client app. Other than that, I use my MBA ALL of the time. I am simply amazed at the power to be a desktop when plugged into my ACD, and the extreme portability when I take away from my desk.

Miker2k

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Mine is my primary personal machine. It lays waste to Facebook and the forums I browse :D

dubhe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
you can't use the Air for everything.
Like recording TV for iPhone conversion...
or to house your bazillion gigabyte library of music, movies and TV...

I manage with an external hard drive for my TB of media, as for recording TV, I don't do any of that, but HandBrake works pretty well.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I have this setup except without the MBP... no need really since the combo of the iPhone and MBA handle most all of on the go tasks. The Air is easier to lug around to starbucks... one bag of work versus 2.

Yeah I agree. I just happened to buy the MBP first and then when the refurb AIR hit the Apple Store, I couldn't resist the price. I still prefer the 15" screen, hence my desire to use the MBP as my main portable and the AIR when I head downtown.

Piratebroadcast

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2009
indecisive about the MacBook Air

Im on the fence about getting one... If I got one, it would be one of those refurb $999 ones. I keep hearing craptastic things about it, though, so Im not sure what to think.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Im on the fence about getting one... If I got one, it would be one of those refurb $999 ones. I keep hearing craptastic things about it, though, so Im not sure what to think.

My advise is to spend a little more, and buy the new one; sometimes can be found on eBay for only $300 to $400 more than refurbished. It will definitely be a much better value in the long run. The new MacBook Air is my primary computer. The old MBA was NOT capable of being my primary computer. Many have different experiences, but I would advise you to read some other threads to determine which one is right for you.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
My advise is to spend a little more, and buy the new one; sometimes can be found on eBay for only $300 to $400 more than refurbished. It will definitely be a much better value in the long run. The new MacBook Air is my primary computer. The old MBA was NOT capable of being my primary computer. Many have different experiences, but I would advise you to read some other threads to determine which one is right for you.

+1 the new one can be (and is in my case) a primary computer. It will hold it's value better when Rev.C comes out than the Rev.A as the market will fill with Rev.Bs from all of us that upgrade! Though not sure if I need to, this 1.6 HDD is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.