Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Aside from the differences in screen size, Which computer would perform better?

How much would the Ram being DDR3 on the MB increase performance?

Differences in Graphics?

Which would you choose?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Aside from the differences in screen size, Which computer would perform better?

How much would the Ram being DDR3 on the MB increase performance?

Differences in Graphics?

Which would you choose?
That's quite an old MBP, it's already 2.5 years old. I'd take the unibody MB.

The DDR3 increase is negligible in most cases, although some say it does help reduce power consumption. In terms of gfx power, the 9400M actually edges out the x1600 in 3DMark05 and 06 performance. If you go back to older 3DMark benchmarks, 03 and 04, the x1600 wins by about 10%. I'd take the benchmarks from the newer versions as more reliable for modern day gaming though.

If you want to check out the gfx numbers for youself: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
The x1600 is number 78, and the 9400M is number 91.

Edit: Looking at the gaming FPS numbers, the 9400 blows the 1600 away.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
i would go with the newer MBP.

the graphics will be a HUGE increase.

also. the unibody macbook (in my signature) i recently bought - compared to my girlfriend's 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP, kills it!

also i never realized how BIG the 15 incher is. i thought 13.3" would be very small. however i love it.

also the display will be a lot nicer. my glossy glass display vs. hers... lets just say there's no comparison.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
i would go with the newer MBP.

the graphics will be a HUGE increase.

also. the unibody macbook (in my signature) i recently bought - compared to my girlfriend's 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP, kills it!

also i never realized how BIG the 15 incher is. i thought 13.3" would be very small. however i love it.

also the display will be a lot nicer. my glossy glass display vs. hers... lets just say there's no comparison.

its not a NEWER MBP though, its like 2 years old

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
I seriously doubt that. Can you post and links/benchmarks?

no i can't, i don't have direct access

hers is only a 2.2GHz with 2GB of RAM

mine is a 2.0GHz with 4GB of RAM.

in benchmarks .2GHz only equates to roughly 6-10%... i can load photoshop CS4 and iTunes in the time it takes her to open iChat and Photobooth.

i wouldn't trade mine for hers any day. even if hers had the multi touch trackpad, and the pretty display.

However i would agree, hers could benefit from a system clean up (her hard drive is 70% full)

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
I have determined that a new MacBook would be better than a used anything. Considering last gen. MacBook Pros have 8600m failures

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I'm not sure what I'm going to go with.

To be clear, I'm not buying either of them.

I currently have the MBP and Apple is replacing my girlfriends MB with a new one. Therefore, I might trade her my MBP for her new MB if a) she agrees and b) I decide that is what I want to do.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
have you decided yet? if so what are you going to pick? Best of luck

I went with the new MB...but I exchanged it for the 2.4 Ghz model.

I'm setting it up now and realized that now I'm going to have to get money to buy an external monitor b/c the screen is so small compared to my 15" MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.