PDA

View Full Version : Apple and China Unicom Bringing iPhone to China in May 2009?

MacRumors
Feb 24, 2009, 10:10 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/24/apple-and-china-unicom-bringing-iphone-to-china-in-may-2009/)

ChinaTechNews.com reports (http://www.chinatechnews.com/2009/02/24/8976-rumor-china-unicom-apple-finally-reach-agreement-on-iphones-entry-into-china/) that Apple and China Unicom have reportedly struck a deal to bring the iPhone to China. According to their sources, the iPhone will make its appearance in May of this year at the earliest.Foreign media are quoting representatives from Ovum, a British consultancy, as saying that China Unicom and Apple will achieve cooperation soon and if everything goes smoothly, the 3G iPhone will enter the Chinese market in May 2009 at the earliest, but no more detail is given.Apple had reportedly been negotiating with China Mobile to bring the iPhone to China, but talks between the two companies apparently broke down multiple times (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/02/09/details-of-iphone-negotiations-between-apple-and-china-mobile-emerge/) with no agreement having been reached.

Article Link: Apple and China Unicom Bringing iPhone to China in May 2009? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/24/apple-and-china-unicom-bringing-iphone-to-china-in-may-2009/)

alexbates
Feb 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
I think this would really help Apple with sales, knowing that China has the largest population in the world. It sounds like a good idea to me.

Mr. Giver '94
Feb 24, 2009, 10:22 PM
I think this would really help Apple with sales, knowing that China has the largest population in the world. It sounds like a good idea to me.

I was going to say the same thing.:)

helical
Feb 24, 2009, 10:23 PM
Mmmmm i wonder if this will be the same as the international rollout last year where markets like Japan had the iPhone 3G the day it was available everywhere else but not before.

In other words - will the China rollout be timed with a new iPhone model?

samh004
Feb 24, 2009, 10:32 PM
Yes, got to wonder if this will be the new model or not.

Also, if true I can't imagine China mobile will be very happy, or play fair. They're an awful company and I'm sure they'd be pissed off.

Theaser
Feb 24, 2009, 10:38 PM
China Unicom is a CDMA carrier, does this mean there will be CDMA AND GSM on the iPhone? As a former Chinese resident, I despise China Unicom. China Mobile all the way!

plumbingandtech
Feb 24, 2009, 10:50 PM

You need to look up the demographics on chinese citizens.

If you think all billion+ of them are have the means and are potential customers I have a bridge to sell you in Shanghai.

Lots of sales?

Maybe. But no where near as many as people think.

Mr. Giver '94
Feb 24, 2009, 11:50 PM

If you think all billion+ of them are have the means and are potential customers I have a bridge to sell you in Shanghai.

Lots of sales?

True. But since the lines between classes are so drastic almost everyone who isn't impoverished is a potential candidate for a sale.

Theaser
Feb 25, 2009, 12:13 AM

Lots of sales?

700 million, that's the number of people who own and subscribes to a network. 2.5 times the size of the U.S. population. The only problem is that 600 million of them subscribes to China Mobile, which is a GSM carrier but are refusing to deal with Apple unless if they have regional control over the Chinese version of the App Store. (Which I think matches their totalitarian government). But, it would be crazy NOT to get into the market.

speedbumpnv
Feb 25, 2009, 12:49 AM
China Unicom is a CDMA carrier, does this mean there will be CDMA AND GSM on the iPhone? As a former Chinese resident, I despise China Unicom. China Mobile all the way!

if wikipedia can be trusted, they have also provide GSM.

Lots of sales?

again if wiki is correct, or even is the ball park, China Unicom has approximately 168 million users. even if a super small percentage of the population has cell phones available to them, its still a super huge number of people.

winninganthem
Feb 25, 2009, 01:44 AM
Wow that's pretty awesome. Good news for China.

SFStateStudent
Feb 25, 2009, 02:36 AM
Doesn't China already have the iPhone? Oh, wait that's the iPhoney...:eek::D

t0mat0
Feb 25, 2009, 04:18 AM
Selling in large quantities the iPhone 3G, then bringing out the v3 iPhone just a month or so afterwards?
Admittedly the market would mop up some of the inventory if they scale down iPhone production. It partialyl depends on whether the v3 iPhone is a replacement, or an addition to the iPhone/Touch lineup.
China would suck up a hell of a lot of initial v3 iPhones - will Apple have initial stock problems ramping up again?

DoubleU
Feb 25, 2009, 07:04 AM
Initial stock problems but low distribution costs.

Feb 25, 2009, 07:08 AM
Reportedly, Chinese legislation requires mobile phones to use Micro-USB for charging. That would require a new version of the iPhone.

Tallest Skil
Feb 25, 2009, 07:09 AM
Reportedly, Chinese legislation requires mobile phones to use Micro-USB for charging. That would require a new version of the iPhone.

Apple would ship it with an adaptor. They're not changing from 30-pin USB for a long time.

cleanup
Feb 25, 2009, 07:29 AM

Since when? Only one of the phones I used in China had a micro USB port (an old Moto V220), and only for data transfer. All others were Sony Ericssons or Nokias and thus had the proprietary DataPort or used a small round DC connector to charge.

arkitect
Feb 25, 2009, 07:33 AM

Don't know about China, but the EU is working on it…
Link (http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nu.nl%2Finternet%2F1917398%2Fbrussel-wil-uniforme-stekker-gsm-opladers.html&sl=auto&tl=en&history_state0=).

Mackan
Feb 25, 2009, 07:39 AM
I would be surprised if it's not a bend over deal where special adjustments have to been made to the phone, its OS or related services in order to satisfy China's strict regulations of what information can or should be available for its people. But what don't you do for more money...

HyperZboy
Feb 25, 2009, 08:02 AM
I bet this coincides with the launch of the $99 iPhone elsewhere around the world since most in China cannot afford the current iPhone pricing. So Apple would have to do something completely different for China and that R&D research would not be put to waste. Plus, it fits in line with other rumors that Apple is looking for CDMA tech people so it makes sense to me that this would coincide with the rumored $99 iPhone launch. Just my 2¢.

guzhogi
Feb 25, 2009, 08:04 AM
And to think that the iphone will probably cost more than a month's salary for most of the people there. I forgot where I heard it, so don't flame me if I'm wrong.

sjo
Feb 25, 2009, 08:26 AM

this is not correct anymore, in preparation for 3g licenses, the networks were re-distributed. china unicom is the gsm operator with wcdma license.

thus cu this is far more better match for apple than the china mobile which has td-scdma 3g license (not compatible with iphone). point i've raised a couple of times when there has been rumors about china mobile + apple deal :)

however it doesn't seem the best idea to bring an old version of iphone to chinese markets just one or two months before introducing a new model. chinese customers are generally well informed with respect of pricy gadgets...

leonstafford
Feb 25, 2009, 08:32 AM
...chinese customers are generally well informed with respect of pricy gadgets...

was that not a typo of "piracy"?

can't wait to buy my iPhong limited Red edition to commemorate 10th anniversary of Tiananmen...

Feb 25, 2009, 08:57 AM
Since when? Only one of the phones I used in China had a micro USB port (an old Moto V220), and only for data transfer. All others were Sony Ericssons or Nokias and thus had the proprietary DataPort or used a small round DC connector to charge.
It's a bit hard to get information in English (hence "Reportedly"). However, it seems (http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199800238&cid=RSSfeed_eetimes_newsRSS) that the mandate is for all phones designed after 2007-06-14.

It would not be too hard to include both Micro-USB and the dock connector. There's plenty of space on the left hand side of the phone.

lftrghtparadigm
Feb 25, 2009, 09:42 AM
I would be surprised if it's not a bend over deal where special adjustments have to been made to the phone, its OS or related services in order to satisfy China's strict regulations of what information can or should be available for its people. But what don't you do for more money...

It would actually make you sick if you could hear the details that Apple will have to acquiesce to, to make this happen.

Then I would remind you that what we let happen in China will eventually happen here. Unavoidable.

vista.john
Feb 25, 2009, 10:41 AM
I bet this coincides with the launch of the $99 iPhone elsewhere around the world since most in China cannot afford the current iPhone pricing. So Apple would have to do something completely different for China and that R&D research would not be put to waste. Plus, it fits in line with other rumors that Apple is looking for CDMA tech people so it makes sense to me that this would coincide with the rumored $99 iPhone launch. Just my 2¢.

must be kidding me. "most in china cannot afford the current iPhone pricing". ??! People there buy phones a lot more expensive than iPhone...

arkitect
Feb 25, 2009, 10:43 AM
A very small minority of People there buy phones a lot more expensive than iPhone...

Fixed that for you.
;)

Theaser
Feb 25, 2009, 05:45 PM
And to think that the iphone will probably cost more than a month's salary for most of the people there. I forgot where I heard it, so don't flame me if I'm wrong.

I think what you heard is discrimination of the Chinese population. 1/2 of them which is 600 million people are in the middle class population, equivalent of the United States middle class citizens.

We, the people living in North America, get cell phone models that are almost 2 years late. While the Hong Kongers and the Beijingers get them fresh, out of the box on time. Look it up, comparing all the cell phone sites from the US version to the European/Chinese version, they have 3 times the amount of smartphones than us. Most of them have a TV tuner which the Japanese b***** about when its lacking in the iPhone. We are the cheap ones, always wanting a phone for free and sticking it to a 2 year contract. I'd rather pay for a good phone AND choose the carrier of my choice, that is how things go over there in Europe and Asia.

Uhhh, no? I saw phones that didn't even have a micro-usb port for charging at a China Mobile store.

nickXedge
Feb 26, 2009, 07:07 AM
It's a bit hard to get information in English (hence "Reportedly"). However, it seems (http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199800238&cid=RSSfeed_eetimes_newsRSS) that the mandate is for all phones designed after 2007-06-14.

It would not be too hard to include both Micro-USB and the dock connector. There's plenty of space on the left hand side of the phone.

The iPhone was designed well before June 2007, so this should be a non-issue altogether.

flipperman75
Feb 26, 2009, 08:49 AM
Just had to say when I first saw this headline I did a double take, thinking to myself, "Why the hell do they have a story about a Chinese Unicorn?" Next thing you know we'll have stories about ligers, my favorite mythical creatures.

Devyn
Mar 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
If the iPhone does make it to China... I predict either fanaticism or complete boy-cot. We shall see...

majia
Mar 21, 2009, 11:58 PM
was that not a typo of "piracy"?

can't wait to buy my iPhong limited Red edition to commemorate 10th anniversary of Tiananmen...

I'm interested in this limited edition as well:p
BTW, it's 20th..

kdarling
Mar 22, 2009, 08:04 AM
It's not so much about the cost of the phone...

It's how many are able and willing to spend for data plans.

And perhaps how may have a home computer to sync it with.

rekhyt
Mar 22, 2009, 08:55 AM
must be kidding me. "most in china cannot afford the current iPhone pricing". ??! People there buy phones a lot more expensive than iPhone...

Yuh... No. Phones there range from $114 to $285 for the cheapest ones.

Yes, iPhone *is* cheap, but... If you count in the subscription... :eek:

queserasera1102
Mar 22, 2009, 01:07 PM
I think that Apple is very risky when they decided to cooperate with China. They are the famous company of USA. If they work together with China's companies, maybe they won't be believed by many people. Because China's phones' quality is very bad

alphaod
Mar 22, 2009, 05:13 PM
Fixed that for you.
;)

Well considering people in China pay retail for phones and more phones retail for more than $200, I would disagree with your "fix".

Because China's phones' quality is very bad

You're right; the iPhone is a POS. :rolleyes:

Eraserhead
Mar 23, 2009, 09:11 AM
You're right; the iPhone is a POS. :rolleyes:

No he means the stuff sold inside China, some of which *is* very bad quality.

For example you can buy umbrellas in department stores that don't open properly the first time, and pens with clickers that don't work correctly.

I think what you heard is discrimination of the Chinese population. 1/2 of them which is 600 million people are in the middle class population, equivalent of the United States middle class citizens.

I don't think that is true. On a global scale middle class means something different from that. You can be middle class by some reckoning if you earn over $2/day.

Michaelgtrusa
May 19, 2009, 08:20 AM
700 million, that's the number of people who own and subscribes to a network. 2.5 times the size of the U.S. population. The only problem is that 600 million of them subscribes to China Mobile, which is a GSM carrier but are refusing to deal with Apple unless if they have regional control over the Chinese version of the App Store. (Which I think matches their totalitarian government). But, it would be crazy NOT to get into the market.

Would apple give the control over one of their stores? I find that highly disturbing!

Michaelgtrusa
May 19, 2009, 08:25 AM
I think that Apple is very risky when they decided to cooperate with China. They are the famous company of USA. If they work together with China's companies, maybe they won't be believed by many people. Because China's phones' quality is very bad

China itself is phony.

stellazhang
Jun 5, 2009, 03:09 AM
:pGood news for china!

iluvgr8tdeals
Jun 24, 2009, 05:39 AM
I laugh at those wondering if the iPhone shall take off in China...

- It is already made there. All the shiny peices of iPhone you all are holding now were made in China. They won't need to ship and mark them up. In fact, most of the reasons big companies such as Microsoft and Apple do not over-invest in China is because of proprietary reasons, not because of the 'poor Chinese'. (See below!)

- China has a very large base of affluent middle class customers, who are more than willing to shell out between $400 to $800 for an iPhone. In fact, maybe the iPhone should be made in the US. Chinese are very fond on well-made quality US products. Just ask GM and brisk Buick sales in China!

-HiPhones are all the craze in China. They are not as shiny as their iPhone counterparts, and they lag while opening applications, but once you get past the guilt of operating a fake iPhone, it works pretty good (Just like the 'genuine' fake rolexes out there!