Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garybUK

Original poster
Jun 3, 2002
Not to make light of it… but has there been a recent spate?
Last one I can recall was the Hudson river incident.

Hardly an everyday occurence.
:eek:

There was a continental airways crash into a house in or near buffalo state that killed 50 including at least 1 person on the ground. And a downed BP helicopter in the north sea!

So yes, they has been a recent spate

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
There was a continental airways crash into a house in or near buffalo state that killed 50 including at least 1 person on the ground. And a downed BP helicopter in the north sea!

So yes, they has been a recent spate

And I stand corrected. ;)

The earth's core must be slowing down…

garybUK

Original poster
Jun 3, 2002
That or the sun is dying maybe we should build ships to start a thermo-nuclear reaction to start the sun again ;)

Edit: okay that sounds like a film i saw recently....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
And I stand corrected. ;)

The two US airliner crashes were particularly notable because the last fatality had occurred some 2.5 years ago, prior to the Buffalo crash. What is the major airliner fatality rate like in Europe? Have there been accidents with associated fatalities more recently there than the one that happened in ... 2006? in the US?

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
What is the major airliner fatality rate like in Europe? Have there been accidents with associated fatalities more recently there than the one that happened in ... 2006? in the US?

Judging airline safety isn't an exact science, so like all statistics take this with a grain of salt, but check this out - it might have a couple of answers for you:

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm

The problem is (this is actually a good thing) - flying is generally so safe that the accident data set for the better airlines is really too small to be all that meaningful.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So basically, there isn't any evidence that particularly more crashes happen in Europe than in North America, right? What I had been kind of looking for was a last fatality date like the one provided in the US articles.

How sad in any event that more people lost their lives. I hope that, if there is a systematic issue that's going on that's causing more crashes, a la some of the ones hypothesized in the last thread, that we can figure out what it is and reduce it.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
So basically, there isn't any evidence that particularly more crashes happen in Europe than in North America, right?

Yeah, I don't think the evidence really points to that. There are some airlines that statistically aren't so safe that fall under the European umbrella (such as Aeroflot), but on the whole I'd guess it's reasonably even.

As far as systematic safety issues - it's sometimes tough to prove. For example I look at the 2006 Comair accident in Kentucky, and I don't really know what systematically could have been done to prevent it. The media made a big deal about the construction being done on the taxiways and the nonstandard markings, the outdated charts that didn't reflect the construction, and the tower being understaffed - but at the end of the day you had two pilots that simply made a huge, huge mistake. The media loves to pin disasters on 'the system' because it makes for better news, but sometimes you just have a case of humans screwing up, and especially in aviation, people can get killed as a result.

That said, I'm not trying to dismiss systematic safety issues altogether - Captain Sully made a pretty good point about how the job isn't what it used to be. Pay and quality of life for an airline pilot is not all that great these days, and as a result you're attracting a lower class of pilot to the job. The same thing is happening to Air Traffic Controllers (in the US, at least). Also, with airline profits as thin as they are, everyone is riding a knife edge between being efficient and staying safe. It's definitely an interesting situation.

garybUK

Original poster
Jun 3, 2002
I have flown a lot, Quantas was statistically the best Airline (iirc), and i've flown Continental.... they are scary!!!!!! they felt the most unsafe.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
and i've flown Continental.... they are scary!!!!!! they felt the most unsafe.

I'm curious - what about them made you feel unsafe? Don't get me wrong - I'm not questioning your feelings - but these kinds of things are interesting (and helpful!) to me.

garybUK

Original poster
Jun 3, 2002
I'm curious - what about them made you feel unsafe? Don't get me wrong - I'm not questioning your feelings - but these kinds of things are interesting (and helpful!) to me.

The planes i have flown on (trans atlantic) were really old boeing 737's that are frankly falling apart, (i don't like boeing aircraft anyway). The staff are very rude and the ride is ALWAYS bumpy. Hell you don't even get a tv screen they are the old drop down CRT screens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.