Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbussiere

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Man,
Besides TimeCapsule which costs an arm and a leg, are there any other brands that make a bluetooth external HD? Or one that connects somehow wirelessly? I don't have a router because I'm at college, so I can't go that route. thanks guys.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Get an Airport Extreme on eBay, then a USB hard drive to plug into it and create an "Airdisk"
That's the cheapest way to go if you want to use Apple gear.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Get a cheap wireless router (i know your in college, but you dont have to plug it into the internet of anything, just connect it to the power supply so its emitting a wireles signal) then plug in a cheap network hard drive, (any external hard drive with a LAN port) and away you go :)

I have this network hard drive:

http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail.asp?ID=3402&CatID=8020&sCatID=1146195&ssCatID=1146196

If your looking for something like Apples time capsule, which is basically what ive just described but the wireless router is glued to the external hard drive then you wont find anything cheaper than the Time Capsule, Sorry.

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Get a cheap wireless router (i know your in college, but you dont have to plug it into the internet of anything, just connect it to the power supply so its emitting a wireles signal) then plug in a cheap network hard drive, (any external hard drive with a LAN port) and away you go :)

I have this network hard drive:

http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail.asp?ID=3402&CatID=8020&sCatID=1146195&ssCatID=1146196

If your looking for something like Apples time capsule, which is basically what ive just described but the wireless router is glued to the external hard drive then you wont find anything cheaper than the Time Capsule, Sorry.

If he connects wirelessly to a router (to get access to the HDD) he wont be able to receive internet from a second (different) source of internet. Since it can only have connection to 1 wireless network. Hence neither a router nor a airport extreme (or air for that matter) will work. I use belkin networked router (this needs a router so wont work for you either) and the HDD is very slow (I dont mind because is fast enogh to see movies and hear MP3 which is all i do with that drive) however this means that if you need to access quickly this might not be your solution either, and I am assuming the airport extreme usb solution is not much faster.

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Why not? I connect to 2 wireless networks all the time on my MBP.

Are you sure? I think you can only connect to one network at the same time, I have to routers at home to have coverage outside, when I am connected to one, it automatically disconnects the other.. anyway

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why not? I connect to 2 wireless networks all the time on my MBP.
I'm curious as to how you can select 2 wireless networks to join simultaneously. On my AirPort, if you select one, it automatically disconnects from any other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.