Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
Green Bay, WI
I'm trying to figure on when to expect my PowerBook 17 (first Mac I've owned since System 7, LCII days) to arrive here in balmy Green Bay, Wisconsin.

I added in 2-3 day shipping, and it was picked up at the warehouse in Shanghai sometime overnight between Friday and Saturday (my local time). It's not clear to me how long it's going to take to get here, but FedEx is saying that it's going to take five more business days to arrive at my doorstep.

Are their estimates usually on target? I've never dealt with international shipping before, and was wondering what other people's experiences have been with actual transit time.

It only shows that it was picked up in Shanghai - does it not update on a continuous basis while on its way to the U.S.? I can't think that it's still on the pick-up vehicle. :)

Thanks!

Any iConquer players here, BTW?

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
You should be able to track it on the FedEX website. Mine came in two days before the target delivery date. I'm trying to remember exactly how long mine took to come in; but I remember it being very quick. You'll have it in no time.

Jeewhizz

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
London, UK
I know how you feel :)

I ordered my first ever mac on wednesday evening (15" PB) and am waiting for it to be shipped to me here in London :)

Its like waiting for christmas when you are a kid :)

Jee

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
When I ordered my 17" PB last month, i paid for the 2-3 day shipping. It was sent from Taiwain, and Fed Ex Said 5 days or so, it shipped out friday, and by sunday it was in the warehouse here, and i got it early monday morning.
If i remember right, it went from Taiwain to Anchorage to Toledo, the to Seattle.
Hopefully your's gets here as fast.

Markel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
Green Bay, WI
JasonL said:
You should be able to track it on the FedEX website. Mine came in two days before the target delivery date. I'm trying to remember exactly how long mine took to come in; but I remember it being very quick. You'll have it in no time.
Yeah, I'm hitting the tracking page pretty often, but it only shows that it left the origin location in Shanghai so far. I keep hoping that my next press of F5 will show it to be somewhere closer, but it hasn't happened yet.

It is very much like Christmas, but almost more irritating, in that I've paid for it and I own it but I don't yet have it. :) Can't wait to actually have a Panther workstation of my own.

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
That same thing happened to me. The initial leg of the voyage is the longest. The next thing I knew it was in CT. Hang in there!

jumpman25

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
I live right across the lake from you in West Michigan, and get stuff sent to me all the time from FedEx. On the tracking page FedEx usually adds a day or to onto the time they expect it to be delivered to cover themselves, as they offer a money back guarantee. They just do this in case something goes wrong. I have a PB coming from Taiwan right now, and was just shipped today. I paid for 2-3 day delivery as well. When I check the tracking it says est. deliver on Friday Apr 2. If I manually input the info under Transit Time it says 1 day, est deliver wed March 31. I would imagine you will probably get your PB on wednesday or thursday from my previous experiences with FedEx.

Markel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
Green Bay, WI
jumpman25 said:
I live right across the lake from you in West Michigan, and get stuff sent to me all the time from FedEx. On the tracking page FedEx usually adds a day or to onto the time they expect it to be delivered to cover themselves, as they offer a money back guarantee. They just do this in case something goes wrong. I have a PB coming from Taiwan right now, and was just shipped today. I paid for 2-3 day delivery as well. When I check the tracking it says est. deliver on Friday Apr 2. If I manually input the info under Transit Time it says 1 day, est deliver wed March 31. I would imagine you will probably get your PB on wednesday or thursday from my previous experiences with FedEx.
Yeah, I was figuring on it getting here tomorrow, but it's been "held at sort facility" in Indy since early this morning. They "released it for delivery" in Indy and then the status changed to the "hold."

I would figure it would be here Wednesday if they manage to get it up here to Wisconsin anytime soon, but if they just let it sit in Indy like it seems they're doing, who knows when I'll receive it?

Vashti

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
New York, NY
Markel said:
Yeah, I was figuring on it getting here tomorrow, but it's been "held at sort facility" in Indy since early this morning. They "released it for delivery" in Indy and then the status changed to the "hold."

I would figure it would be here Wednesday if they manage to get it up here to Wisconsin anytime soon, but if they just let it sit in Indy like it seems they're doing, who knows when I'll receive it?

Hang in there, Markel. Mine was shipped from Shanghai on Saturday (I did not upgrade the shipping in any way) and it arrived in New York City today!! Try calling Fed Ex international customer service if you have questions. They're very helpful. Enjoy your new computer. I'm off to set up mine.

Jeewhizz

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
London, UK
Vashti said:
Hang in there, Markel. Mine was shipped from Shanghai on Saturday (I did not upgrade the shipping in any way) and it arrived in New York City today!! Try calling Fed Ex international customer service if you have questions. They're very helpful. Enjoy your new computer. I'm off to set up mine.

:eek: :eek: Mine was shipped on monday to me here in London - so hopefully it'll get here soon :)

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
I find it incredible that they're shipping single machines directly from Asia. They should be able to save money by at least sending a bunch over to the US at the same time. Or is it really that cheap to FedEx a computer?

Mine got shipped from a reseller in Germany. I wouldn't buy directly from Apple anyway, as they are more expensive than the resellers.

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
crenz said:
I wouldn't buy directly from Apple anyway, as they are more expensive than the resellers.

Maybe it is different over there, but over here most Apple retailers don't offer significantly better deals than Apple. Actually, with my edu discount I get a significantly better price buying directly from Apple than I would get anywhere else. Apple also offers some really good refurb deals compared to what I've seen offered elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.