Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dow Jones Newswires (via CNN Money) provides a recap of Apple's annual shareholder meeting held today on the company's campus in Cupertino, the first such meeting without Steve Jobs present since his return to the company in 1997. At the meeting, shareholders voted to reelect the entire Board of Directors and voted down four proposals made by shareholders but opposed by the Board of Directors.
Shareholders also defeated proposals that would have given them a say on executive compensation, would have required Apple to disclose more about corporate political donations and its carbon footprint, and would have called for universal health care.
In response to questions about the health of Jobs, the Associated Press reports that there are no changes in his plans to return to the company in June.
Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs still expects to return from his medical leave at the end of June, according to an Apple director who responded to an investor at the company's annual shareholder meeting Wednesday.

The investor had pressed for details about when the board of directors knew Jobs planned to step away from his daily duties. Apple director Arthur Levinson responded only by saying that since Jobs announced Jan. 14 that he needed to go on leave, "nothing has changed."
Attendees also participated in a singing of "Happy Birthday" to the absent CEO, who celebrated his 54th birthday yesterday.

CNBC's Jim Goldman had hoped to live blog from the meeting, but Apple banned all communication devices from the meeting hall. Fortune, however, republished reports from two investors who were able to sneak wireless devices into the room.

Article Link: Apple Shareholder Meeting Notes:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Yeah, they'll say Jobs is coming back in June, until it gets to June then they'll change their minds.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I don't understand, is this just out of formality, or did some investors really want to kick the entire board out while Apple is still making them money?

They have to be reelected every year. It's a formal procedure.

"Attendees also participated in a singing of 'Happy Birthday' to the absent CEO, who celebrated his 54th birthday yesterday."

Anyone else laugh out loud? :D

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Simply put, regardless of it being our business or not, I don't really believe anything Apple says in regards to Jobs's health. Nothing else to say really, I just don't have faith in Apple's responses to those questions.

bryanc

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2003
Fredericton, NB Canada
Any hope of *desktop* updates this year?

Since Apple put all it's effort into handhelds and laptops last year, and it's desktops are now all laughably out of date, I expected some major updates to the Desktop lineup this January. :mad:

I wonder if there was any discussion about Apple's apparent lack of interest in the desktop market at the shareholders' meeting.

Cheers

mutuz

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
I wonder if the timing of his comeback is random, or if a revision of a product or two may be realistic in this period. Snow Leopard? iPhone 4G? :)

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I wonder if the timing of his comeback is random, or if a revision of a product or two may be realistic in this period. Snow Leopard? iPhone 4G? :)

Oh fer @#$%& sake, give the guy a break already. It's his health we're talking about, not a publicity stunt. I'm sure he's out until June on advice from his physician not because of the timing of a product release.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
sounded interesting....so ivy is one of the top three (or should i say 4) for sure now huh.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Oh fer @#$%& sake, give the guy a break already. It's his health we're talking about, not a publicity stunt. I'm sure he's out until June on advice from his physician not because of the timing of a product release.

Are you sure? I heard that Steve Jobs 3.0 will be released in June.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Only in Apple could the shareholders sing Happy Birthday to the head of the company... I do hope to join that bunch of madmen sometime!

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
I wonder if there was any discussion about Apple's apparent lack of interest in the desktop market at the shareholders' meeting.

hear hear, the lack of updates to the mac pro and the mini lines are troubling at best. i thought one of the reasons for the intel switch was that they could make a better effort of staying fresh and competitive with their offerings. these two lines have been waiting for a refresh longer than we had to wait in the PPC days. it's getting pretty ridiculous. If anything, at least lower the prices over time, i believe the E5462 has come down something like $200-250 at least since its introduction. paying $2800 for a previous-generation chip tech is pretty lousy these days.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007

I doubt that it's a publicity stunt, but if Steve feels well enough and if the product is groundbreaking enough, I think shareholders would be very pleased to see him give a presentation in June. I think Steve, himself, would be pleased to be back on stage giving a presentation. It is his company, after all.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Never mind the f*!!!!g singing, they should concentrate on bringing some products to Market! Apple may be worth billions but logic dictates that if they had a current desktop and monitor offering, they might make more! Build it and they will buy!

To be honest, I'm fed up with Apple ignoring it's existing base of customers and today, after years of mac use, priced up a Dell XPS! Shock horror yes, but £1500 buys a 2.66 i7 quad core, 6gb, 1TB HDD, TWIN 512MB NVIDIA and a 24" display. Now I of all people know the benefits of mac os and iLife etc etc ... But even those caveats don't make for what I'm sure would be at least a £500 premium ... That's if Apple could ever squeeze all that in an iMac ... and would!

Let's wait and see if how Apple can surprise us SOON (I doubt unfortunately!)

mutuz

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
Actually, I think that he's so passionate about Apple products, especially the iPhone, that he will return no matter what for this event - even if his physician says to wait two more months!;)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
If Jobs can, he will return in time for WWDC provided it's not held in May this year.

troller

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
I give a **** if he will return or not. all I know is that they give a **** about the consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.