Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I wanted to help out everyone who has a Macbook that might have experienced 9 beeps when trying to start their Macbook, and/or adding the SMC update 1.3 released last week...

The 9 beeps(3 short, 3 long, 3 short) on a Mac is totally true. I did a system update on my Macbook from the latest update(2/17/09), SMC update 1.3 that also included a firmware update(increase in efficiency for battery performance).

I added the system update, and my Macbook screen went blank, and made the (now infamous) 9 beep signal. My day was ruined as I had an important meeting with a new client, and furthermore talked to AppleCare Technical Support for the next 2 to 3 hours that day.

For all of you who think this is funny...it's not - it is a legit malfunction letting the user know that the logic board is defective.

Best of luck to all of you who try SMC update 1.3 scheduled on 2/17/09...

If any of you have experienced the 9 beeps - Please get back to me...(I CAN'T be the only one)

much appreciated,
CrackbookPro - macrumor newcomer

OnceBitten

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
I wanted to help out everyone who has a Macbook that might have experienced 9 beeps when trying to start their Macbook, and/or adding the SMC update 1.3 released last week...

The 9 beeps(3 short, 3 long, 3 short) on a Mac is totally true. I did a system update on my Macbook from the latest update(2/17/09), SMC update 1.3 that also included a firmware update(increase in efficiency for battery performance).

I added the system update, and my Macbook screen went blank, and made the (now infamous) 9 beep signal. My day was ruined as I had an important meeting with a new client, and furthermore talked to AppleCare Technical Support for the next 2 to 3 hours that day.

For all of you who think this is funny...it's not - it is a legit malfunction letting the user know that the logic board is defective.

If any of you have experienced the 9 beeps - Please get back to me...(I CAN'T be the only one)

much appreciated,

My first one did that and I was stumped, However Apple was kind enough to replace it with a new one and no beep since.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

much appreciated,

3 short beeps + 3 long beeps + 3 short beeps is Morse Code for S.O.S

Apple, placed this kind of warning for users. The SOS is calling for a logic board failure. Call Apple, they will most likely send you a box or send you to a Apple Store to get your machine fixed or replaced.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Thanks

Thank you for everyone replying to this Thread

This site has done wonders for me in the last week in trying to figure out what was going on with my old macbook that had the infamous 9 beeps...

much appreciated,
CrackbookPro:cool:

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2005
You could try reseating the memory as that can cause beeps.

If the memory is not seated properly then the machine will not start.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Thanks GlynJones, but the 3 beeps is for a defective memory (or improper placement of the memory), and the 9 beeps is a defective logic board - I had the 9 beeps...not good...not good at all!

'CrackbookPro:cool:

masterme

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007

In my case I had the same problem, and apple service in holland told me that means the battery is getting old and needs to be replaced shortly.
So check if your battery has more then 300 cycles (which is terrible, that that's the maximum cycle spin a mac original battery is reliable).

To re-callibrate your battery do the following:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.