Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ridge08

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
A lot of people say it`s best to shoot in raw to maintain flexibility over things like white balance. So in the spirit of experimentation, I now have a couple memory cards full of raw images. Now, I have to get the photos onto my computer and am wondering what step I need to take next.

There seems to be a lot of talk about raw converters, but most of what I`ve read is aimed at people who have a good idea of what those programs are, why we use them, what they do, etc.

I have a Nikon D40. Currently three days into a Lightroom trial. I`ll try Aperture after that to decide which, if either, to buy.

So I`m looking for some plain-English information on raw converters in general so I can start thinking about the best way to upload that 4gig of photos onto my computer. Is this going to cost me more money?

Upgrading from point and shoot is quite a steep learning curve!

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I use Aperture but Ive been told iPhoto does it as well.
Your camera should have come with software to convert also.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So I`m looking for some plain-English information on raw converters in general so I can start thinking about the best way to upload that 4gig of photos onto my computer. Is this going to cost me more money?...

Start with iPhoto and use it untill you find a good reason not to use it. Most people will continue ith iPhoto as it does everything they need. And YES iPhot will handle D40 NEF (raw) files just fine. All Apple software shares a common raw conversion engine so the results from Aperture, Preview iPhoto and so on will look the same

You might prefer Aperture or Adobe Camera RAW because they alow even more control over the process or you may find you don't need that.

Money? iPhoto comes with every Mac.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
I prefer using Adobe camera RAW, I like the control i have converting my RAW's, but ACR isn't everyones cup of tea, worth looking into though, takes a bit of getting used to, but it's worth it in the end, i use it coupled with photoshop CS3, the package fits my photographic needs fine, any questions there are all the answers at the ACR forum:

Adobe Camera RAW forum

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.