Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwantmymacnow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I got a 2.4ghz alum macbook back in December and love it.

I just started architecture school and they told us to wait on purchasing a computer and every single computer I saw in the school was a Dell!

The friendly guy at the Apple store assured me that the new macbooks would run any CAD programs fine with an external monitor.

Now I'm not so sure if he was telling the truth or just trying to get a sale!

I am sooo dead if I have to get another new computer my Dad would absolutely die!

HELP!

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
You could, I don't know, use the multiples ways of using windows on your Mac so you could use CAD without any trouble? How is it disaster? Is 129$ for a Windows license THAT horrible?

iwantmymacnow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
umm... windows isn't the problem... the problem is i have been told that the macbook isn't powerful enough for the programs and i really don't want to buy a new computer when this one is 2 months old!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't know what to say; I know you may need OpenGL so the 9600 may be better, but by no means is the MacBook inadequate.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
umm... windows isn't the problem... the problem is i have been told that the macbook isn't powerful enough for the programs and i really don't want to buy a new computer when this one is 2 months old!

So you're in architecture course, one which use a REALLY (graphic) resources hungry app like AutoCAD, and you choice the MacBook, the consumer grade notebook from Apple which use integrated graphics? And you DID brought without thinking twice? You're the one to blame. You don't have many options. Sell your computer. If you were not jackass and it's still in pristine condition you should get around 75% of what it cost easily. If it's heavily scratched and dented, good luck.

Cali3350

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
The Mac book used the very same hardware that PC's use. Those Dells are exactly like your computer. The only difference may be the graphics chipset, however I personally know a few engineering students who run AutoCad 09 just fine with the same chipset.

Settle down, take a breath, and install bootcamp. You should be fine.

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Either use Bootcamp and deal with it, or sell your Macbook on eBay for $1300-$1400 and then buy this Asus. Asus has a pretty nice warranty that includes accidental breakage. Plus you get a very nice video card and a Blu-ray drive. Heck I'm considering selling my Macbook for that Asus, and then NOT hacking it so I could run Mac OS X on it.

Model
Brand ASUS
Series N50 Series
Model N50Vn-C3S
General
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53G
Screen 15.4" WXGA+
Memory Size 4GB DDR2
Hard Disk 320GB
Optical Drive BD Combo
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT
Video Memory 1024MB
Communication Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 14.4" x 10.8" x 1.1"
Weight 6.5 lbs.
Tech Intel Centrino 2 Processor Technology
Other Features Fingerprint reader
Bag & mouse
30days Zero Bright Dot LCD
CPU
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo
CPU Speed T9400(2.53GHz)
CPU FSB 1066MHz
CPU L2 Cache 6MB
Chipset
Chipset Intel PM45
Display
Screen Size 15.4"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Display Type Wide XGA+
Resolution 1440 x 900
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
Graphics
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT
Video Memory Dedicated 1024MB
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Hard Drive
HDD 320GB
HD RPM 5400rpm
HD Interface SATA
Memory
Memory 4GB
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type BD Combo
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Communications
LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
WLAN 802.11A/G/N
Bluetooth Yes
Ports
Card Slot 1 x Express Card
USB 3
IEEE 1394 1
Video Port 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI
Other port 1 x eSATA
Audio Ports 1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack (S/PDIF)
Audio
Audio Integrated Sound card
Speaker Altec Lansing speakers
Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard Standard
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader 8-in-1 card reader: SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,mini SD w/ adapter,MS-Duo,MS-Pro Duo via adapter
Webcam 2.0 Mega Pixel
Power
AC Adapter 90-watt AC adapter
Battery 6-cell lithium ion
Physical spec
Dimensions 14.4" x 10.8" x 1.1"
Weight 6.5 lbs.
Manufacturer Warranty
Accidental Damage Warranty 1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty - Drops, Fire, Spill, Surge for purchase after 9/10/07
Parts 2 years limited
Labor 2 years limited

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
your previous thread indicates you intended all along to use bootcamp for autocad; have you even TRIED installing it and seeing how it runs? :confused:

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
That aside, it will run fine! My friends run it on integrated chipsets that are much older. They only really struggle with large textures and large 3D files. Although to be honest you should have got a MBP. My graphics card has paid for itself many a time when our cheap uni desktops had really crappy cards in them.

Try bootcamp, see how you get on, I bet you will be fine until you start doing large large stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.