Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeyjojoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
i'm in the market for a laser printer, i'm willing to spend up to $500 on a nice printer. i've tried the samsung ml-1710 and its by far the worst printer on the face of the earth (it takes like 10 minutes to print 1 page and its running out of toner after 100 pages ... also the samsung support/drivers are terrible). does anyone have recommendations for a good printer that works with OSX?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
i have a hp 1200 laserjet.
the drivers are supported right out of os x. its a bit slow sometimes compared with windows but i think a RAM upgrade to it would solve it. you can also get a network functionality with it a 1200n but i just bought a third party ethernet to usb printer server so i could host multiple printers. make sure you get a print server that supports apple talk ;)

if you need it for very heavy use, i would get a higher model. however, i think the current model they are selling is the actually the 1300.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
joeyjojoe said:
i'm in the market for a laser printer, i'm willing to spend up to $500 on a nice printer. i've tried the samsung ml-1710 and its by far the worst printer on the face of the earth (it takes like 10 minutes to print 1 page and its running out of toner after 100 pages ... also the samsung support/drivers are terrible). does anyone have recommendations for a good printer that works with OSX?

I have a Brother HL1435 and I love it. Its a nice small and cheap Laser Printer. I got it off Amazon.com for $179.00. At one point it was on sale for $149.00, and thats unheard of for a Laser Printer. I will tell you that this laser printer is NOT a post script printer, but I haven't ran into any problems with it yet. I use the USB side to connect to my iMac and share it to my Macs in the network and then I use the Parallel ports to print on the PC side.

Its kinda neat looking too with the black and silver plastic instead of the ole beige!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I have a Laserjet 1012 and I love it. Small and compact and prints very fast. Even better, I got it on compusaauctions. com for $63.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
joeyjojoe said:

A friend of mine bought a Lexmark E220 about a week ago for AUD $440, and it's very impressive. Quick warm up, fast printing (rated at 18ppm) and excellent quality text+graphics. Came with OS X drivers on the install CD, and installation was no hassle at all...about 45 seconds flat on his 17" PowerBook. It actually has a processor and RAM onboard, not like the cheaper GDI laser printers which require the host computer to do a lot of the processsing.

The Lexmark is definitely a personal printer though...no Ethernet port, and only a 150 page feeder tray. Depends what you're after though. I was impressed by the Lexmark anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.