PDA

View Full Version : is an ibook still worth it?

macdame
Feb 26, 2009, 08:06 AM
i was wondering if someone could give me some advice. i currently own a dell xps m1330 i bought in august of 2007. it come with windows vista on it and i have never liked vista. i had linux on it for a while and it was a beast and ran great. the only thing is...linux isnt all to user friendly right now..for me anyways. i have some friends who use macs and i have always enjoyed their computers. i was going to get a mac when i bought my dell, but for some reason i didnt:-/ i was wondering if buying an ibook g4 in good condition would be worth a purchase. i wanted to get an older one for a good price so i could see if i really like a mac. i didnt want to pay a bunch for one and not end up liking it.
i would basically use it for web surfing, music dowloading, writing papers, and messing w/ garage band. any advice would be much appreciated.thanks!

iBlue
Feb 26, 2009, 08:22 AM
I would go for a used macbook, to be honest. iBooks are pretty old now and you'll get better performance out of their intel processor machines.

brn2ski00
Feb 26, 2009, 08:25 AM
no - the power PC alone should be the non-selling point. who knows if newer OSs and Software will even support this processor?

akbc
Feb 26, 2009, 08:34 AM
In all honesty, used MacBook or refurb MacBook (whether it be White, Black or alum) is always 300% better choice over the iBooks.

You can basically call the PowerPC Processors dead. It is quite evident that it will not be supported by the next Mac OS X, and it's just an overall bad processor compared to the lowest Intel Chips that Apple has ever offered.

Any Intel chips from Apple is better than the best PPC apple has ever offered.

So I would get a used White MacBook:)

BornAgainMac
Feb 26, 2009, 09:05 AM
If you find one for $200 bucks, you get get a feel for a Mac but don't judge it on it's speed. You can do all the things you wanted except messing with Garageband. It will work best with the iLife version of those days. At least you can see how it works without much investment. I don't recommend paying more than $300 bucks for it.

js81
Feb 26, 2009, 09:05 AM

So a Core Solo 1.5 GHz (lowest Intel chip Apple ever offered) is better than the PowerMac G5 Quad @ 2.5 GHz? I must say, uh, NO. I own a Mini that was originally a Core Solo (now its a Duo) and it was dog slow. My old PowerMac G4 (dual) was faster for most everything, save video encoding in iMovie.

My advice on an iBook - if it fits your budget, then yes, its a good deal, though I personally wouldn't pay over $350 for any iBook. The G4 IS a lot slower than the Core Duo (the slowest in any Macbook), but its not unusable. True, it probably won't support Snow Leopard, but who needs the latest and greatest, anyway? I still run Tiger on my Mini... and its just fine.

JMann2380
Feb 26, 2009, 10:23 AM
I think people views are a little skewed by how fast computer technology moves. To give you a point of reference, I inherited my girlfriends 12" ibook G4 (1.2GHz, 1.25GB ram) to use while I decide on a Macbook Pro to buy. I have been using it for the past year.

I am not a normal user either, I run a web design business on the side, so it has to run photoshop, coda, etc. And that is with numerous images, folders, and safari windows open. I get the beachball fairly often and can't wait to jump up to a Macbook Pro, but in all reality this computer I get by on and am rather productive on.

This computer is a tank, I carry it with me everywhere, everyday and in addition to web design, I use it in class, home, coffee shops.. it is probably being used 12 hours a day.

So yeh, a G4 ibook might be "dated", but in reality it would be perfect for you to try out OS X on... I even upgraded mine to Leopard 6 months ago or so.

ps. I will probably be selling mine for $350 when I decided on a 15" or 17" Pro. Part of the reason I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on a new Pro is justifying the cost of a $2500 notebook when a $350 one is doing the job.

-Josh

lftrghtparadigm
Feb 26, 2009, 10:28 AM
I think people views are a little skewed by how fast computer technology moves. To give you a point of reference, I inherited my girlfriends 12" ibook G4 (1.2GHz, 1.25GB ram) to use while I decide on a Macbook Pro to buy. I have been using it for the past year.

I am not a normal user either, I run a web design business on the side, so it has to run photoshop, coda, etc. And that is with numerous images, folders, and safari windows open. I get the beachball fairly often and can't wait to jump up to a Macbook Pro, but in all reality this computer I get by on and am rather productive on.

So yeh, a G4 ibook might be rather dated, but in reality it would be perfect for you to try out OS X on... I even upgraded mine to Leopard 6 months ago or so.

ps. I will probably be selling mine for $350 when I decided on a 15" or 17" Pro.

-Josh

To sum up, the only difference between an old mac and a new mac is not how much you can do, but how much you can do at once.

JMann2380
Feb 26, 2009, 10:39 AM
To sum up, the only difference between an old mac and a new mac is not how much you can do, but how much you can do at once.

And as another point of reference, I use to do my work on a 1.8 core duo? w/ 2GB of ram Mac Mini, until I turned it into a dedicated HTPC. And I don't notice much difference at all using the Ibook G4 for the same work and tasks. Not to say the ibook isn't slower, just that for "my" normal use, which is fairly intensive (Photoshop CS3) there isn't much of a difference. I am sure the Macbook Pro I am gonna buy will be way overkill and is overkill for 90% of its users.:apple:

skye12
Feb 26, 2009, 10:40 AM
No, absolutely too slow. Maybe a white MB would be as far back as I'd go.

JMann2380
Feb 26, 2009, 10:50 AM
No, absolutely too slow. Maybe a white MB would be as far back as I'd go.

haha, did you ready any of my posts?

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 01:41 PM
A lot of people on here seem to blindly dis G4 Macs. They're great if they're new enough G4's and they're cheap too.

I think it's a great idea.

Floris1994
Feb 26, 2009, 01:56 PM
I don't know, depends on what kind of deal you get. I got my iMac G5 for 300 dollars in Canada which was definitely a steal and I sold a mac mini G4 for 325 so if it is real cheap go for it but not if it is not.

wahoo10
Feb 26, 2009, 02:06 PM
You could go out, right now, and buy a new MB or MBP-base and easily resell it if you decide you don't like it. I guarantee you that you could sell it to someone for $300 than store asking price, maybe even $200. So, lets say you buy the old thing for $400, versus losing $200-300 on a good one. The new one is obviously the better option. And hey, if you stay with Mac, you've got a kick ass computer out of the deal.

Thorbjorn
Feb 26, 2009, 02:57 PM
As others have pointed out, the iBook is definitely slower than newer models, and I have no idea how well it will (or won't) hold its value. Still, for what it's worth, my iBook G4 is going strong, solid as a rock, long battery times. I only upgraded recently because some software I use required the Intel processor. Also you should know that my iBook came with Garageband pre-installed, so I'm guessing it's fine to use it for that. (I never played around with that much.) I still take my iBook on the road with me if I think I'll be roughing it. I know I can count on it.

Macky-Mac
Feb 26, 2009, 03:22 PM
As others have pointed out, the iBook is definitely slower than newer models, and I have no idea how well it will (or won't) hold its value. Still, for what it's worth, my iBook G4 is going strong, solid as a rock, long battery times. I only upgraded recently because some software I use required the Intel processor. Also you should know that my iBook came with Garageband pre-installed, so I'm guessing it's fine to use it for that. (I never played around with that much.) I still take my iBook on the road with me if I think I'll be roughing it. I know I can count on it.

This is an issue that anybody considering an older ibook should consider. I've started to discover the occasional software title that I can't run because my computer doesn't have an intel processor. It hasn't forced me to upgrade yet, but anybody buying a PPC based Mac needs to be aware that it's going to be an in their not too distant future..........but beyond that, if you can get a really good price, a G4 iBook is still a viable computer for lots of things

RobCroft
Feb 26, 2009, 03:32 PM
its all very well saying "get a used macbook" but really, i could never afford one so i had to buy ibook g4. Its absolutely the best thing iver ever done.

ive saved about 180 and the machine is nice and quick imo, i use iWork 09 on it mainly, but i guess if you want to do more challenging things than youtube/ internet browsing and documents then you may want the macbook, however, my ibook is really, really good.

Edit: My battery lasts a whopping 5 hours if i turn screen down...

js81
Feb 26, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yes, definitely consider the "does my software require Intel" question. Also, consider the "does my software require Rosetta" question, too - PPC emulation under Rosetta is dog-slow. However, just about any software you'll need now has an Intel version, so this isn't really an issue any more. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. :)

If you understand its limits, a G4/G5 Mac can be quite useful. Don't expect to run Windows (VirtualPC is a dog, too) and don't expect to have the fastest computer on the block. If you're OK with that, then a PPC Mac could serve you well. For example, my mother-in-law loves her 700MHz G4 eMac. I, however, keep wanting more than my 2GHz Mac Mini can offer. Its all in the realm of expectations - I DO want the latest and greatest; she couldn't care less.

My the only problem with suggesting an iBook would be with its RAM limit - even the last of them were capped out at 1.5 GB (less on older models). The same goes for the 12" PowerBook, but it has a great form factor. The 15" and 17" PowerBooks, at least from about 1GHz and up, support 2GB. PPC processors need lots of RAM to make up for their lack of speed.

akindy
Feb 26, 2009, 03:38 PM
Just to all of you bashing the PowerPC, the PS3 uses something similar to a G5 chip. I wouldn't call it slow and I certainly wouldn't call it "dead".

zelmo
Feb 26, 2009, 03:39 PM
A 1.25+ GHz G4 will give you a nice taste of the Mac experience if you're mainly doing web, iTunes, email, iPhoto and other light computing. On my 1.33GHz G4 PB, I found that GarageBand was a bit sluggish, although it certainly ran. Even Adobe CS2 ran fine, although I wouldn't open up PhotoShop, Illustrator, and InDesign at once unless I really had to.
When I got my MBP in December, my wife took my 4.5 year old PowerBook as a replacement for her 3 year old Sony Vaio XP SP3 laptop. She is excited by how much snappier things feel on it in comparison. YMMV.

If you can find a decently spec'd G4 for a couple hundred, it's worth it as a feeler.

flyguy206
Feb 26, 2009, 07:18 PM
i would not pay more then $80 for a ibook

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 07:34 PM
i would not pay more then $80 for a ibook

Haha, that's pretty funny.

Is your limit for an octo Mac Pro $1000, too? Purchased any $25 iPod touches lately?

dmmcintyre3
Feb 26, 2009, 07:39 PM
If you insist on getting PPC get a 15" PowerBook. The screen on the iBook's (12 and 14) is only 1024*768 which is less than any new PC (except really cheap netbooks).

iBooks are famous for logic board failure.

Mine died due to the famous logic board failure

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 07:40 PM
I have a 1024x768 iBook and it's really not bad at all. That's what command+tab is for.

Besides, if you want a small form factor, XGA is your only choice.

dmmcintyre3
Feb 26, 2009, 07:47 PM
I cannot use any computer less than 1280 pixels wide for my work. My PowerBook is almost too small. The reason I convinced dad to buy me my PowerBook was that I could not stand the screen on my iBook

Besides, if you want a small form factor, XGA is your only choice.

13 inch thinkpad = 1440*900

I want full HD on 15 inch anyway

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 07:53 PM
I meant for a G4 portable. :p

I understand, but if he just wants to try it out, I don't think you should bother with a bigger one.

I bought mine "just trying" and it's spawned an obsession. Even after all that, the toe-in-water iBook is still my daily driver.

dmmcintyre3
Feb 26, 2009, 07:56 PM
iBooks cant even hook to a external monitor bigger than 1024*768

SkyBell
Feb 26, 2009, 07:59 PM
To the OP: Most people on this forum tend to have very high expectations. If you are one of those kinds of people, listen to them. A MacBook is a great machine, no doubt.

But, for the uses you have told us, an iBook G4 will be great. My 1.33 GHz iBook G4 is my daily machine, and it does very well with internet browsing, music, MS Office, and even some dabbling with Photoshop. Occasionally I'll get a beachball, but it's pretty seldom.

A 1.2 GHz iBook or above will be great, provided you have at least 1 GB of RAM.

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 08:01 PM
iBooks cant even hook to a external monitor bigger than 1024*768

Yes they can.

Mine does.

dmmcintyre3
Feb 26, 2009, 08:02 PM
I just require high resolution screens. My 1.67 GHz PowerBook is my BEST computer.

Yes they can.

Mine does.

Ok so they work with a HACK

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 08:03 PM
Ok so they work with a HACK

No, not with a hack. Mine just works.

It was only the very last iBook G4's, I believe.

dmmcintyre3
Feb 26, 2009, 08:05 PM
I had to hack mine to hook it to my 1280*1024 external dell monitor that I need to upgrade.

2nd Display Support: Mirroring Only* 2nd Max. Resolution: 1024x768

this is the last model 12 inch iBook

dmmcintyre3
Feb 26, 2009, 08:08 PM

If yours was used the pervious owner hacked it.

SkyBell
Feb 26, 2009, 08:09 PM

I had to hack mine to hook it to my 1280*1024 external dell monitor that I need to upgrade.

The last 12" model was the 1.33 GHz, last 14" was the 1.42 GHz

dmmcintyre3
Feb 26, 2009, 08:11 PM
The last 12" model was the 1.33 GHz, last 14" was the 1.42 GHz

I got that from everymac. the 1.33 ghz 12 inch iBook was where I got it from

Straight from the 14 inch iBook 1.42 GHz specs
2nd Display Support: Mirroring Only* 2nd Max. Resolution: 1024x768
Details: *Apple reports that this system provides a "VGA video output for video mirroring on an external display or projector (24-bit color) with included Apple VGA Display Adapter".

However, the hardware is capable of using an external display in dual or "extended desktop mode", Apple just blocked the capability in firmware to protect sales of more expensive Macs. Unsupported third-party hacks are available.

Floris1994
Feb 26, 2009, 08:21 PM
In all honesty, used MacBook or refurb MacBook (whether it be White, Black or alum) is always 300% better choice over the iBooks.

You can basically call the PowerPC Processors dead. It is quite evident that it will not be supported by the next Mac OS X, and it's just an overall bad processor compared to the lowest Intel Chips that Apple has ever offered.

Naaaa. The G5 Quad is faster than the current 2Ghz Mac mini. Atleast that is what Mactracker (http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/) says

dmmcintyre3
Feb 26, 2009, 08:25 PM

Reset your nvram and see if it does!

A 15" PowerBook 1 - 1.5 GHz with 1.5 GB RAM would be good to try Mac on. My best computer is a 1.67 GHz 15" PB

Davy.Shalom
Feb 26, 2009, 08:58 PM
My advice is avoid the iBooks. If you are trying to get a feeler computer, go 12 inch powerbook. I bought a used one a couple of weeks ago for $250. Included Tiger OS X 10.4.5 discs, restore discs, extra charger, extra battery, cables, box, apple care documents. You'll eventually find a good deal. But yea, other than that go white macbook.

And I have to say, my G5 quad (specs in description) is retired from server duty, but I use it for Photoshop and FCP. Amazing, I have to say it kicks any intel's ass. Except the octo core mac pro of course. haha, still a great computer.

If you can find an iBook G4 1.2 ghz + for under $200 go for it. They are honestly worth no more.

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 09:08 PM
Reset your nvram and see if it does!

This is so weird! I did and it still works!

JMann2380
Feb 27, 2009, 10:37 AM
Listen to the people that actually own and USE their ibook G4's in this thread. Not the people that have a macbook or macbook pro and couldn't "gasp" using a lil ol ibook:eek: . As I said I build websites on my ibook and although not ideal (I really want a macbook pro), I have been doing for a year. For what the OP listed a Ibook G4 would be perfect for dabbling in OSx and for the apps he listed. Just max out the ram.

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 10:55 AM
I have a 14 inch iBook 1.2 GHz with 1.25 GB ram and I also have a 15" 1.67 GHz PowerBook and I cannot use my iBook even when it worked I could not stand the screen. It was a good computer but I could not stand the screen. The iBooks if they were not upgraded have small hard drives unless you go 14" and you would want 1.25 or 1.5 GB RAM if you got one. My iBook was slow but it just needed a faster hard drive. If you find one with an upgraded hard drive that is at least 5400 RPM it will be about as good as my PowerBook other than the screen which is why I bought a PowerBook over another iBook. If you have a 1024*768 screen already then an iBook would be good but If you have something better then do not get the iBook. If you want to hook it to a bigger external screen than 1024*768 you will need screen spanning doctor which is free and you should find it by googleing it. I would not buy an iBook because the screen is too small and the 12 inch PowerBooks are not any better. If you get a 7200 RPM hard drive and the max RAM (1.25 on most or 1.5 on last model) it will be OK. I would recommend an external screen for use at home. Anything newer than an iBook or a 15" aluminum PowerBook will have a much better screen and the extra cost of a PowerBook was worth it for me.

Mr_Brightside_@
Feb 27, 2009, 11:15 AM
You can do all the things you wanted except messing with Garageband.
Wait, what? Is that based off any personal experience? My lowly last rev. 12 incher runs version 2.0.2 just fine, thank you.

I use the Screen Spanning Doctor hack on mine and it supports resolutions higher than 1024x768. However, judging from the OP's post, it doesn't seem like he needs an external monitor, or even wants one.
EDIT- As a side note, my iBook G4 1.33GHz has been my primary computer since 2005, when it was released, and has had not a single hardware flaw (I've seen many cracked MBs) and very few kernel panics. Also, I've maxed the RAM to 1.5GB (added a one gig stick) myself, and had a 120GB HD installed (which was my biggest 'performance' boost I've had). My daily uses are much the same as yours- I constantly have iTunes, Mail and Safari running, with Word, Skype, and iPhoto also in use often. I'll be upgrading to a MBP if Nehalem ever ships, simply because at that point I'll need to run CS3/4 (the iBook's inability to run CS3 might be a red flag for you, as the entire CS3 collection was Intel-only).

js81
Feb 27, 2009, 01:11 PM
Listen to the people that actually own and USE their ibook G4's in this thread. Not the people that have a macbook or macbook pro and couldn't "gasp" using a lil ol ibook:eek: . As I said I build websites on my ibook and although not ideal (I really want a macbook pro), I have been doing for a year. For what the OP listed a Ibook G4 would be perfect for dabbling in OSx and for the apps he listed. Just max out the ram.

That's right, OP - listen to the people on hear who have actually USED (or still use) a G4 for day to day work. I used to and many on here still do - for the things you listed, a G4 iBook with plenty of RAM will be fine. No speed demon, mind you, but a perfectly useable introduction to OS X. To be quite frank about it, I'd trade my Mac Mini for my old Dual G4 PowerMac any day - but alas, its dead. R.I.P., old friend. And mine was only a dual 500MHz - but it did have 2 GB RAM, a 7200 RPM hard drive, and a 128MB video card; and that was 3 years ago. :-)

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 02:42 PM
G4's if they have a fast hard drive (5400 RPM or 7200 RPM) are OK. I just could not use a 1024*768 screen. That is why I got a 15" PowerBook. My best computer is a G4 and it is not slow. It is actually faster than my mom's 3GHz thinkpad. The thinkpad has a 4200RPM HD and 512 MB RAM (FAST DDR2) while my PowerBook has a slow CPU but a 5400 RPM HD and 2 GB RAM (SLOW DDR). The PowerBook can be faster than a MacBook if the MacBook has 512 MB RAM and a 4200 RPM HD

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 02:58 PM
The key to performance on laptops is RAM and HD speed. My G4's are not slow. When I put a 5400 RPM HD in my iBook it got much faster. Do not worry about the processor. Get a 1.33 GHz G4 with 7200 RPM HD and 1.5-2 GB RAM and it will not be slow. As I said my 1.67 GHz PowerBook is faster than mom's 3 GHz thinkpad. Just get a fast HD and lots of RAM and it will be fast. My PB was faster than my friend's parent's MacBook when it had 512 MB RAM and a 4200 RPM HD which it still has. Worry more about 4200 RPM HD's than the 1 - 1.33 GHz G4.

If the HD is original in an iBook it is 4200 RPM

My friend's 550 MHz TiBook was faster than my iBook until I put a 5400 RPM HD in the iBook. Then his TiBook was slower than my iBook.

HD speed and RAM amount matter more than CPU speed. HD speed is more important than RAM as long as you have 1GB

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 04:08 PM
Garageband (the current version and maybe the last version) will not work. In iPhoto some effects will be missing (current version)
Leopard will work and I run it on my G4 and it is not slow with a fast HD
Just don't get a 4200 RPM HD
The original HD's are 4200 RPM

Patriks7
Feb 27, 2009, 04:26 PM
So a Core Solo 1.5 GHz (lowest Intel chip Apple ever offered) is better than the PowerMac G5 Quad @ 2.5 GHz? I must say, uh, NO. I own a Mini that was originally a Core Solo (now its a Duo) and it was dog slow. My old PowerMac G4 (dual) was faster for most everything, save video encoding in iMovie.

So you're comparing a low-end laptop processor with a high-end desktop one? Nice one.

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 04:28 PM
iBook G4's should be around $250-300. Do not pay any more than that for one. MacBooks are $600 and would be more reliable than a iBook.

JMann2380
Feb 27, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have the original hard drive in mine, so I guess it is a 4200rpm version and I do all the things I listed! Man the way you guy's are talking I would want to throw my ibook out the window within ten seconds of turning it on. Too bad I have made thousands of dollars on this thing designing websites, using CS2, coda, itunes, safari, firefox, word and mail all open at the same time!:eek:

And on the 1024 res screen to boot:eek::eek:

Dude, buy the ibook for $300 to try out OSX and if you don't like it sell it for $300 and you are out nothing! You will be fine.

SkyBell
Feb 27, 2009, 08:29 PM
Geez, I paid $500 for my 12" 1.33 iBook a year ago. What's all this "$300" stuff?

iMpathetic
Feb 27, 2009, 08:48 PM
Geez, I paid $500 for my 12" 1.33 iBook a year ago. What's all this "$300" stuff?

Yup.

SkyBell
Feb 27, 2009, 08:50 PM
Yup.

That's a ridiculous amount of value loss in one year. What, are they going to be $100 next year?

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 08:56 PM
G4's are still useful if you have a fast HD and lots of RAM. But Snow Leopard will not work on G4's so you will have to replace it when you want Snow Leopard.

SuperCompu2
Feb 27, 2009, 08:58 PM
I use my 15" PowerBook G4 in College (University for Brits) just fine, and I run plenty of hardware intensive applications as well (Lightroom, Photoshop CS, iMovie occasionally, I love to mess with GarageBand's piano all the time, and of course the basic stuff like safari, iTunes and Mail)

I think its silly for people to be so needy, especially with economic strains on everyones' wallets. Just think, 3 or 4 years ago, these PowerBooks were helping to cut and edit scenes from Professional movies, or even recording some of your favorite hit songs. They were fast back then, with the software of the time. If you want the speed, use the software it was made to run. Don't expect it to rival a MP with Leopard rendering h.264 videos.

Personally, I think a PBG4 with 2GB of RAM and Tiger or Leopard would carry your needs for 2+ years until you decide if you want to take the plunge on a newer unit. I still have an iBook G3 running Panther (10.3) at home, so for people to say these computers are useless is just whiny and pitiful.

SkyBell
Feb 27, 2009, 08:59 PM
G4's are still useful if you have a fast HD and lots of RAM. But Snow Leopard will not work on G4's so you will have to replace it when you want Snow Leopard.

True, but that's more of a matter of "if" then "when". I'm still running Tiger. I don't have any need for Leopard or Snow Leopard, and by the time I do need to upgrade to a newer OS, this iBook will be slow enough to justify a new machine. So it's not really a big deal.

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 09:06 PM
I use my 15" PowerBook G4 in College (University for Brits) just fine, and I run plenty of hardware intensive applications as well (Lightroom, Photoshop CS, iMovie occasionally, I love to mess with GarageBand's piano all the time, and of course the basic stuff like safari, iTunes and Mail)

I think its silly for people to be so needy, especially with economic strains on everyones' wallets. Just think, 3 or 4 years ago, these PowerBooks were helping to cut and edit scenes from Professional movies, or even recording some of your favorite hit songs. They were fast back then, with the software of the time. If you want the speed, use the software it was made to run. Don't expect it to rival a MP with Leopard rendering h.264 videos.

Personally, I think a PBG4 with 2GB of RAM and Tiger or Leopard would carry your needs for 2+ years until you decide if you want to take the plunge on a newer unit. I still have an iBook G3 running Panther (10.3) at home, so for people to say these computers are useless is just whiny and pitiful.

I agree. You just need a fast HD and lots of RAM and you will be good to go until Snow Leopard which is when I will be upgrading. But if you can stand having an outdated operating system it would be OK. My friend used a 800 MHz TiBook in 2008 and I do not know what he has now. He could still be using it I do not know. He does have a 17 inch CD iMac for a desktop but he used the TiBook more because it is a laptop and he needed a laptop for use at school. He used a PBG3 500MHz in 2008 before he got the TiBook. I took my PowerBook to school every day before I was homeschooled. His TiBook was given to him for free with a dead backlight and broken hinges but the backlight cable was just shorting and was fixed with electrical tape and he had the hinges from his previous TiBook 550 that had a cracked screen. I had to use the TiBook 550 with the iBook's HD and 128 MB RAM while my 1.67 PB was being fixed as my iBook was dead.

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 09:19 PM
In 2006 I was using a 300MHz PowerMac G3 with 768 MB RAM and a 80 GB HD and 10.2 because it was all I had. But I got my iBook in Feb. 2007 and my PowerBook in Dec. 2007. I had a 2.8 GHz dell desktop before the G3 but I liked the G3 better

DHagan4755
Feb 27, 2009, 09:33 PM
Short answer: No

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 09:36 PM
Short answer: No

What do you mean?

SuperCompu2
Feb 27, 2009, 09:37 PM
In 2006 I was using a 300MHz PowerMac G3 with 768 MB RAM and a 80 GB HD and 10.2 because it was all I had. But I got my iBook in Feb. 2007 and my PowerBook in Dec. 2007. I had a 2.8 GHz dell desktop before the G3 but I liked the G3 better

I had a 233MHz PowerBook G3 in 2006, shortly thereafter followed by a Blueberry Clamshell 300MHz. These were used while my Thinkpad was out of commission, but they still got the job done!

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 09:40 PM
I had a 233MHz PowerBook G3 in 2006, shortly thereafter followed by a Blueberry Clamshell 300MHz. These were used while my Thinkpad was out of commission, but they still got the job done!

At least you had laptops! I had a hard time with the 550MHz G4 with 128 MB RAM and 10.2 and OS 9 in 2008. It even was missing the screen! I ended up using OS 9 on the G4 550 because of the RAM. Leopard ran better with 128MB than 10.2 actually. But it took me having the 1.67 PB to install it :)

My old friend has the same iMac!

js81
Feb 27, 2009, 09:41 PM
So you're comparing a low-end laptop processor with a high-end desktop one? Nice one.

Yeah, I did. Now go back and read the post where another user stated that ANY Intel was faster than ANY PPC. Now do we understand? :)

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 09:49 PM
That's a ridiculous amount of value loss in one year. What, are they going to be $100 next year?

Probably because snow leopard will not work on them :(

2 years ago PB 1.67's were $1000 now they are $700. When I bought my PB I should of gotten a low end MacBook but they had 13 inch screens which is smaller than my iBook and the whole reason I got the PB was because I wanted a better screen.

iMpathetic
Feb 27, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'm awaiting the $500 high-res 17" Powerbooks.

drewsof07
Feb 27, 2009, 10:12 PM
The original HD's are 4200 RPM

That's a misconception, not ALL of the G4 HDs were 4200rpm

System profiler reads my ATA Model number is ST9100823A This (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c6dc99f4fa74c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US) original drive, a 5400rpm BTO option on my 12" 1.5ghz G4. ;)
God knows I would never attempt to replace the HD in this thing on my own... the 12" ibook and I have a history.... :mad:

dmmcintyre3
Feb 28, 2009, 09:24 AM
That's a misconception, not ALL of the G4 HDs were 4200rpm

System profiler reads my ATA Model number is ST9100823A This (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c6dc99f4fa74c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US) original drive, a 5400rpm BTO option on my 12" 1.5ghz G4. ;)
God knows I would never attempt to replace the HD in this thing on my own... the 12" ibook and I have a history.... :mad:

That is a 12 inch PB we are talking about iBook's here!

My PB 100 GB HD is 5400 RPM and it is the original!

js81
Feb 28, 2009, 09:31 AM
Geez, how this thread has gotten off course. All the OP wanted to know is if an iBook G4 would be a good learning machine, not if it would be comparable to a new Macbook. No, its not going to be uber-fast; no, its not going to compare to a new machine. But then again, the price won't compare either, will it? :)

To the OP: Get the iBook. It'll show you how great Mac OS is and you'll find yourself wanting that new Macbook in no time. My first Mac was a 300MHz B/W G3 - in the days of G5's. Everybody told me it was going to be slow, too - and you know what, it was. But I could still use it and I had good fun with it. Now look at me - for all intents and purposes, other computer makers don't even exist to me (with the exception of netbooks, b/c Apple isn't making one). Try it; love it; get hooked; and be prepared to spend lots of money. :D

dmmcintyre3
Feb 28, 2009, 09:40 AM
To the OP: Get the iBook. It'll show you how great Mac OS is and you'll find yourself wanting that new Macbook in no time. My first Mac was a 300MHz B/W G3 - in the days of G5's. Everybody told me it was going to be slow, too - and you know what, it was. But I could still use it and I had good fun with it. Now look at me - for all intents and purposes, other computer makers don't even exist to me (with the exception of netbooks, b/c Apple isn't making one). Try it; love it; get hooked; and be prepared to spend lots of money. :D

I started on Mac on a PB 165 in the days of the G4 PowerBooks and iBooks and G5 PowerMacs and iMacs. When the MacBook Pro's were released I had a PB 1400cs. When the 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro's were released I got a 14" iBook 1.2 GHz. Then when the 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro's were released I got a 15" PowerBook 1.67 GHz that I have today. I had 550 MHz G4 with broken hinges and the day I had to give it back I got the iBook

dmmcintyre3
Feb 28, 2009, 09:48 AM
I have seen MacBook's slower than my PowerBook. RAM amount and HD speed matter more than CPU speed. I have explained why a 550MHz G4 can be faster than a 1.2 G4. It is just RAM and HD speed. My 1.67 PB is faster than Mom's 3 GHz P4 Thinkpad because the Thinkpad has 512 MB RAM and a 4200 RPM HD while my PB has a 5400 RPM HD and 2 GB RAM.

nick9191
Feb 28, 2009, 10:10 AM

Except that a Quad G5 is still faster than both Mac Mini's, Macbook's, and the baseline Macbook Pro and iMac.

It's a bad processor? IBM's latest Power 6 chips hit 5+ghz and blow Intel out of the water.

drewsof07
Feb 28, 2009, 10:44 AM
Except that a Quad G5 is still faster than both Mac Mini's, Macbook's, and the baseline Macbook Pro and iMac.

It's a bad processor? IBM's latest Power 6 chips hit 5+ghz and blow Intel out of the water.

Let's try and stay on track here.
Snow Leopard will drop PPC support no matter how fast they are. And I know the G5s are still incredibly capable machines. I'm going to keep my G4 until it can no longer be repaired ;) Just for the sake of knowing, how expensive are those IBM processors?? I'm guessing more than $1500 each, out of reach for most users.

An iBook can still run current software. My friend composes music using Sibelius on his 1.07ghz iBook with 32 MEGABYTES:eek: of video ram and 1 gig of RAM. They will do everything you could possibly need for portable/regular computing and make great computers to learn the OS.

TheDPR
Feb 28, 2009, 11:07 AM
I'm still using my old G3-900 iBook. It's fine for what it's used for, though obviously not state of the art.

andiwm2003
Feb 28, 2009, 11:38 AM
my 1.5 GHz G4 powerbook is running just fine. but i used the great refurb deals to upgrade to a 2.4GHz MBP early 08.

i would not invest any money in a G4 or G5 mac anymore. i'd rather try to get a decent deal on a MB or a used mini. I think you get more bang for the buck, more future proof systems if you go intel.

and if there is any chance i would wait for a refurb MB white plastic with the new GPU. that will be $899 with warranty brand new. certainly a machine that will be great for the next 5 years. so on a per year basis this is better than a used ibook for $300 or so.

i keep my macs usually for 4-5 years before i upgrade. so it's about $ 400 per year.

Zea74
Feb 28, 2009, 12:16 PM
I have a 1GHz iBook G4 with 256+512 MB RAM and the standard 30GB HD. It runs - though quite slow - Leopard, iWork'08 and Office 2004, as well as iLife (should check which version I use, don't know). My wife is using it for the same stuff as you mention - except Garageband, no idea what performance you'll get from that one.
So what you ask for can be done on an iBook for quite a low pricetag (guess you can get these for something like 200-250).
As most people post here: if you have a larger budget, a more recent piece of HW will of course boost your speed and possibilities.

Up to you to decide what it's worth for you. :apple: