PDA

View Full Version : The World's First Web Browser

MacBytes
Feb 26, 2009, 12:00 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: History
Link: The World's First Web Browser (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090226130007)
Description:: A degree of separation from the Mac world, but the world's first web browser, WorldWideWeb, was introduced on this date 18 years ago. The browser was developed by a British scientist working for CERN. It was written on a NeXTcube and ran on the NeXTSTEP platform, a direct ancestor of Mac OS X. At the time it was written, WorldWideWeb was the only way to view the Web.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

k2spitfire88
Feb 26, 2009, 12:46 PM
Interesting read, thanks!

elppa
Feb 26, 2009, 12:48 PM
NeXTSTEP's technologies are very relevant to the Mac and iPod today, so not much separation really.

Good read.

true777
Feb 26, 2009, 02:02 PM
Gosh, so long ago...

I remember designing my first web pages for the Mosaic and MacWeb browsers in 1993 and 1994. Weird to think that some MacRumors members were *born* then. In some ways it seems like yesterday.

The other big event that changed the web was of course the advent of early search engines -- WebCrawler, AltaVista, Lycos, Yahoo, etc. around 1994 and 1995. I remember when Yahoo came out and was all the rage.

drlunanerd
Feb 26, 2009, 03:16 PM
Gosh, so long ago...

I remember designing my first web pages for the Mosaic and MacWeb browsers in 1993 and 1994. Weird to think that some MacRumors members were *born* then. In some ways it seems like yesterday.

The other big event that changed the web was of course the advent of early search engines -- WebCrawler, AltaVista, Lycos, Yahoo, etc. around 1994 and 1995. I remember when Yahoo came out and was all the rage.

Sigh. I remember using a DEC Alpha using Mosaic and Gopher in '94. It was sloooow, heh :p

I definitely had been born then ;)

rikers_mailbox
Feb 26, 2009, 03:49 PM
I remember the excitement of getting my first dialup Slip/PPP account in, ooh, 1997-ish. That and mosaic really opened up the www.

Before that I had dabbled in the old Bulletin Boards Systems. Manually dialing in by modem and then opening a Terminal window. Ha! For the life of me I can't remember how I found phone numbers for the BBSes, there was no internet search. :confused:

One month I accidentally used a BBS number outside my local calling zone and ran up a $80 phone bill. My parents were furious. In retrospect, it wasn't such an egregious mistake but more a learning experience. :)

edit: nothing I said above will make sense to anyone under 20 years of age. scary!

vista.john
Feb 26, 2009, 04:33 PM
interest reading. Thanks for sharing... :)

Stuart in Oz
Feb 26, 2009, 05:40 PM
I remember the excitement of getting my first dialup Slip/PPP account in, ooh, 1997-ish. That and mosaic really opened up the www.

Before that I had dabbled in the old Bulletin Boards Systems. Manually dialing in by modem and then opening a Terminal window. Ha! For the life of me I can't remember how I found phone numbers for the BBSes, there was no internet search. :confused:

One month I accidentally used a BBS number outside my local calling zone and ran up a $80 phone bill. My parents were furious. In retrospect, it wasn't such an egregious mistake but more a learning experience. :)

edit: nothing I said above will make sense to anyone under 20 years of age. scary!

lol, when I was 11 (1989!), I remember staying with some family friends, whose 16 year old son had just bought his first 300 baud modem. The different BBS numbers for the area were listed each month in a local computer magazine.

Dialing was fun, and the modem was so slow you could just keep up with the text as it appeared on screen. 300 baud = my reading speed. I was so upset when they brought out faster modems!

pilotError
Feb 26, 2009, 06:04 PM
Before that I had dabbled in the old Bulletin Boards Systems. Manually dialing in by modem and then opening a Terminal window. Ha! For the life of me I can't remember how I found phone numbers for the BBSes, there was no internet search.

I remember my Hayes smart modem 300 baud, cool because it didn't need the phone attachement. BBS Planet! FTW!

Too Funny, that was around 1984...

The numbers where listed in the software that came with the modem. There were only a handful of places online back then.

jennyp
Feb 26, 2009, 07:11 PM
I remember coming across NCSA Mosaic at uni in '93 and thinking, now that is cool! Shows my age..! :o