Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
In iMovie HD 6, I've been trying to figure out how to take a region out without everything after it rippling back to fill the gap...

Any help? Thanks!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
This is really annoying I know but I dont think there is a way round it.

If you have visuals that are synced to the music that you dont want moving you could add in a black picture and adjust the clip length to the same as the clip you are removing and replace it.

I found this really annoying and on several projects where the music was running with the visual I would just have to scrap half the clips and reorganise it all.

Maybe consider the move up to FCE as it is fairly similar but allows you to play around with the clips more...

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
This is really annoying I know but I dont think there is a way round it.

If you have visuals that are synced to the music that you dont want moving you could add in a black picture and adjust the clip length to the same as the clip you are removing and replace it.

I found this really annoying and on several projects where the music was running with the visual I would just have to scrap half the clips and reorganise it all.

Maybe consider the move up to FCE as it is fairly similar but allows you to play around with the clips more...

i found this:
http://www.apple.com/support/imovie/hottips/

" Rippling—This type of edit lets you insert or trim a clip and all other affected clips in the timeline will move automatically to accommodate the change. iMovie, by default, ripples clips. If you, say, trim a clip, all clips that follow it in the timeline will move to the left to fill the gap. To temporarily disable rippling (prevent other clips from moving), hold down the Command key as you perform an edit. Any timeline gap you create will appear as a black screen by default."

but i dunno how that makes sense... if i wanna "cut" a clip, it's Command + X, as I'm already holding the Command key :confused:

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Maybe you are unable to cut and not ripple. Try a command + dragging to the clip pane to save the clip or a command + delete to get rid of the clip.

I would tryout some things but Im away from the mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.