PDA

View Full Version : Networking question. USB External Drive.

tweaks
Feb 26, 2009, 02:45 PM
I have a issue with a usb external hooked up to a new imac. I have it all wireless. I can see the computer and the home folder but i cannot see the usb drive. i have the permissions on it set to everybody and everything looks like it should work.....but it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

millar876
Feb 27, 2009, 05:36 AM
if the drive is formatted as HFS+ (mac) you should be able to see it on the network, if you can't hit :apple:+i and in the get info window that opens check the sharing box and make sure the permissions are read+wright for all users. IF the drive is formatted as FAT32 (windows / read+wright with mac)or NTFS (windows / read only on mac) then I'm Affraid OSX wont let you share it on the network (out of the box), but thete may be some aftermarket software to enable you to do this.

tweaks
Feb 27, 2009, 06:52 PM
Ahhh it is formatted for fat16. That would explain it. Thanks!

eezing
Mar 2, 2009, 05:03 PM
if the drive is formatted as HFS+ (mac) you should be able to see it on the network, if you can't hit :apple:+i and in the get info window that opens check the sharing box and make sure the permissions are read+wright for all users. IF the drive is formatted as FAT32 (windows / read+wright with mac)or NTFS (windows / read only on mac) then I'm Affraid OSX wont let you share it on the network (out of the box), but thete may be some aftermarket software to enable you to do this.

Is it even possible to share a HFS+ with a Windows machine? If not, then what is a guy to do?