Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I'm going to stick a blank driving in my new 17" uni upon receipt and install my boxed version of Leopard on it, not the recovery disks (don't want ilife and some other stuff). Assuming I install all the updates, will I have all the multitouch features of the install that comes on the recovery disks? Or is this only on those disks and I have to install the os from them to get the unibody specific stuff? Thanks!

jmark

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
The installer disks that come with the 17" Unibody do NOT force you to install iLife. Apple actually seems to have separated the "OS" and "Applications" installers.

Probably a bad idea to install the retail OS onto the 17-inch...it looks to me that Apple is including some newer extensions on these computers.

I changed from a 15-inch unibody to a 17-inch a couple days ago, and kept a backup of the drive from the 15 when doing this exchange. The OS on the 15 was fully up-to-date, but comparing extensions between it and the 17 revealed a number of newer .kext files on the 17 (both dates and version numbers).

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
+1 to the advice given so far - Use the discs supplied with the laptop, they have files specifically for your computer which the retail disc won't have.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Don't use the retail DVD since it may not have the correct drivers for your computer.

If you don't want the default programs, just don't install them!

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I don't know if there is an option to uninstall them before they get installed but the ilife apps should have a small footprint so long as they arent started before you try to delete them. You can use appzapper or some other uninstaller to be sure. I found three files total for each program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.