PDA

View Full Version : How to obtain final DV25 file using FCP (emergency)

lokibrehm
Feb 27, 2009, 04:40 AM
I have been receiving files from an animator in an invalid broadcasting format.
the tv broadcasters said they need a file type that when exported is called DV25 and is 750x576. I have tried multiple types of file exporting, but I havent yet gotten a final product called DV25.
help please! I need to send about 20 exporeted files by about 4pm london time today so, the quicker the better.

lokibrehm
Feb 27, 2009, 04:54 AM
this tells me which format will give me dv25:
http://www.tunecore.com/images/video/dv25_tutorial.pdf

but DV25 is actually DV NTSC, and i thought ntsc wasn't euro friendly....

huntercr
Feb 27, 2009, 05:03 AM
I have been receiving files from an animator in an invalid broadcasting format.
the tv broadcasters said they need a file type that when exported is called DV25 and is 750x576. I have tried multiple types of file exporting, but I havent yet gotten a final product called DV25.
help please! I need to send about 20 exporeted files by about 4pm london time today so, the quicker the better.

I'm probably not the best person to respond to this, but since no one has said anything yet, I believe they're calling DV25 what is also referred to as DVCAM.
As I understand it though, DVCAM is codec-wise exactly the same as DV, it's only the physical tape format that is different.
So have you tried giving them:

Export->Using Quicktime Conversion->Format: DV Stream

( options: )
DV format, PAL, Interlaces, 4:3 , Locked Audio 48 KHz

( you could also select DVCPRO here if they wanted that instead... this is also a 25Mbit codec which is what the 25 refers to if I understand correctly.

Try this please and see if its what they want. I am sorry that I'm not the most knowledgeable person around here. I just felt bad that no one else has responded yet and you have a deadline!

lokibrehm
Feb 27, 2009, 05:14 AM
As much as I'd like that to have worked, it doesn't because they need the file to be a .mov and what you suggested ends up with .dv extension.
Im sending the files through a Hrad Drive and not via digibetas, if that helps solve the problem.
and if I use DV-NTSC does anyone know if it is broadcastable in europe?

and thanks for trying :)

bimmzy
Feb 27, 2009, 06:09 AM
i may have the wrong end of the stick, but i hope this helps....

Firstly you need to have a working copy or key for quicktime pro (QTPRO)......
open the media you have in QTPRO, if this doesnt work use MPEG STREAM CLIP.

so in QTPro, go file/export/

in the save as window that will open select /options/

at the top of the window go /settings/
then in /compression type/
select 'DV PAL' from the menu (assuming this is a PAL project)

next: select in the 'motion' tab
"current frames"
next: in the tab below called 'compressor' select:-
Quality- high,
Scan mode- interlaced,
and
Aspect ratio- 4:3 (assuming it is 4:3 media)

MPEG STREAM CLIP will do the same though the route is more tortuous.

nb. if you need to know about changing aspect ratios, message me.

huntercr
Feb 27, 2009, 06:10 AM
As much as I'd like that to have worked, it doesn't because they need the file to be a .mov and what you suggested ends up with .dv extension.
Im sending the files through a Hrad Drive and not via digibetas, if that helps solve the problem.
and if I use DV-NTSC does anyone know if it is broadcastable in europe?

and thanks for trying :)

No, it's not broadcastable.

If you need it in a quicktime container, then what's wrong with selecting DV - PAL or DVCPRO - PAL ?

Quicktime Movie ->options
video DV - PAL
4:3 interlaced, best quality.
Size -> 720x576
audio: Linear PCM stereo 48KHz.

Have you tried sending them that?

lokibrehm
Feb 27, 2009, 06:59 AM
No, it's not broadcastable.

If you need it in a quicktime container, then what's wrong with selecting DV - PAL or DVCPRO - PAL ?

Quicktime Movie ->options
video DV - PAL
4:3 interlaced, best quality.
Size -> 720x576
audio: Linear PCM stereo 48KHz.

Have you tried sending them that?

yeah, my first try, but because its a compression of a compresion of an animation it pixelates more then any other format. I'm sending them one pal and one dv50pal.

thanks guys, you certainly helped me go on the right track :)

-DH
Feb 27, 2009, 07:07 AM
DV, DVCam, DVCPro and Digital 8 are ALL DV25 formats. DV25 can be either NTSC or PAL.

Assuming that your FCP Sequence is set for DV/DVCPro PAL, from FCP export a self-contained movie (File-Export->QuickTime Movie). Change the resulting file's extension to .mov and the creator type to QuickTime. You can do that by right-clicking on the file and choosing "Get Info." Enter the changes in the Info window.

-DH

huntercr
Feb 27, 2009, 02:10 PM
yeah, my first try, but because its a compression of a compresion of an animation it pixelates more then any other format. I'm sending them one pal and one dv50pal.

thanks guys, you certainly helped me go on the right track :)

What is the original format of the animation? The only thing that would cause somethign converted DV to be pixelated is if you are down resing from and HD file. You're not getting confused with the interlacing are you?
( interlacing will show up as lots of lines on your pitcutre when viewed on the computer, but when broadcast will show up perfectly )

Can you show us a sample?