Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
got AppleCare through ebay, registered fine.
received email certificate confirming coverage.
check status later and its reverted to limited warranty which runs out in 2 weeks

and this message when trying to update coverage status on apple site

Submit your proof of purchase

In order to update your product information in our records, we require a copy of the original proof of purchase. The proof of purchase must be issued by an Apple Authorized Reseller and must meet the following criteria:

1. The proof of purchase must be legible. Screen shots are not accepted.

2. The proof of purchase must include the following information:

* A clear description of the product.
* The product's date of purchase.
* An invoice or receipt number.
* The product's price.
* The reseller's contact information, and if possible, the reseller's company seal or logo.
3. The proof of purchase should also include the product's serial number, if the reseller normally lists serial numbers on their invoices.

Please download our fax cover sheet. Print it out on your printer, then fill out all the required information.

Once you're through, please send the cover sheet and your proof of purchase to Apple.

Fax:
USA & Canada: +1-916-399-7338
Europe: +353-(0)21-428-3916
Asia Pacific: +61-2-9641-8077

Mailing Address:
Apple Inc.
ATTN: Agreement Administration
MS: 217-AC
2511 Laguna Blvd
Elk Grove, CA 95758
USA

since i dont have a proof of purchase from an authorized apple reseller, just paypal transaction email..any tips on dealing with apple support to make them fix this? :eek::apple:

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I've never had Apple Care so I can't speak from experience, but if it were me, I'd call them, tell them about the e-mail certificate you got from them (I'm assuming it's a certificate you got from Apple?). Be polite and behave as if you're assuming this is just a mix-up that can be fixed easily.

If you got a written confirmation from them that you are covered, it would be weird if they wouldn't honor it. :confused:

youpey

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
my guess is too many people are buying from ebay for half the money that apple charges, so now they are going to enforce the purchase from authorized resellers, where the price will be closer to what apple charges.

if this is what it is, my guess is the seller will get in trouble. he is probably buying either developer or student applecare's (or even stolen somehow) so he can get it cheap, and selling it to joe public. i am also going to guess they will not honor your purchase from him and you will be required to buy it from them or have no extended warranty

these are all just guesses, but this isnt common practice for apple

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
my guess is too many people are buying from ebay for half the money that apple charges, so now they are going to enforce the purchase from authorized resellers, where the price will be closer to what apple charges.

if this is what it is, my guess is the seller will get in trouble. he is probably buying either developer or student applecare's (or even stolen somehow) so he can get it cheap, and selling it to joe public. i am also going to guess they will not honor your purchase from him and you will be required to buy it from them or have no extended warranty

these are all just guesses, but this isnt common practice for apple
'
Even if this was the case, apple would never cancel "already registered" applecare.

Id call, Im sure its some sort of a mixup.

gilesrulz

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
They want the proof of purchase for your computer, not the applecare. Fax it to them and it will be fine.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007

I don't think this is the case. Retailers are notoriously raking in profits from extended warranties, so small shops that resell online may be able to sell it legitimately for 1/2 the price and still make a profit. Its hard to say without knowing the actual cost. Down here, however, my Uni bookstore sells it for 260, while a local mac shop and apple store sell it for full price.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It doesn't matter where and how you got AppleCare from. The main thing to look at is if your limited warranty has expired. If it did and you tried to register, it won't work and you WILL need to provide proof of purchase. If your computer is still under the limited warranty, more often than none, a lot of customers are unable to register AC themselves, just call up AppleCare give them your AppleCare enrollment number and no more than 5 min, your computer should be registered.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
apple tells me the seller who sold it to me got a refund so thats why the warranty was canceled (I guess my bad for just asking for the code since I have no use for a box), was someone with 1000+ feedback 99% rating so that sucks.. seller denied any wrongdoing and has "no idea"

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
apple tells me the seller who sold it to me got a refund so thats why the warranty was canceled (I guess my bad for just asking for the code since I have no use for a box), was someone with 1000+ feedback 99% rating so that sucks.. seller denied any wrongdoing and has "no idea"

Of course he has "no idea", thats Ebay for you...
File an ebay complaint.

vintage 69

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
I don't suppose you could post the name of the seller. I've been considering Ebay for Applecare but I don't know now.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
got my money back but if i had noticed any later i would have been unable to extend the warranty further.. which would really suck considering the video card issues...lets try again! :eek:

okatidubi

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
do you think you can tell us the name of the seller? im about to buy mine on ebay too... it's ok if you can't :)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
if this is what it is, my guess is the seller will get in trouble. he is probably buying either developer or student applecare's (or even stolen somehow) so he can get it cheap, and selling it to joe public. i am also going to guess they will not honor your purchase from him and you will be required to buy it from them or have no extended warranty... these are all just guesses, but this isnt common practice for apple

There's no such thing as a developer or student AppleCare. The only difference is the price that they are charged, they all come in the same box. When I sold my AppleCare back to the Apple Store, they scanned it in and it rang up as $349 for a MBP, and and they backed out $100 for the Education Discount. I've bought AppleCare for another MBP via Amazon and it was $175 and free shipping, when it arrived it was AppleCare for a macbook. I sent it back to the seller and they took care of the shipper and sent the correct one overnight...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
got my money back but if i had noticed any later i would have been unable to extend the warranty further.. which would really suck considering the video card issues...lets try again! :eek:

Once you get AppleCare canceled, you can't get it again; at least that's what they told me.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

First time I've ever heard about not being able to register if the previous attempt has been cancelled, though, this is an odd situation. If you're willing to try again, call AppleCare again and notify them of your situation (case no. Will already be there) and they'll probably help you out.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Once you get AppleCare canceled, you can't get it again; at least that's what they told me.

There's a difference between canceling his enrollment request and nulling his extended warranty if say he drops the computer 3 months into his second year of ownership. The latter I'd say you're SOL, but if he's $till within the 1 year, they're going to try and $ell him a legitimate copy I'm $ure ;)
Not exactly sure what you were referring to though.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

That statement makes no sense. Did the seller cancel your AppleCare activation code? To my knowledge, the only way to cancel AppleCare is to send a formal letter via snail mail to AppleCare headquarters. This is not something that happens via a phone call or Apple's Web site. Additionally, you cancel the AppleCare on the actual product itself, not a specific plan activation code.

"You may cancel this Plan at any time for any reason. If you purchased the Plan in the United States or Canada, cancel by sending written notice to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714-9125, U.S. Your notice must be accompanied by a copy of your proof of purchase of the Plan."

I have received the message you stated before when registering for AppleCare coverage, however it was because they needed the exact date I purchased my Mac not proof that I had purchased actual AppleCare. That's what they have the activation key for.

I would contact AppleCare again and get the full story. Ask for a manager, if possible.

Did the seller activate the plan on one of his devices, then have it cancelled and sell it to you? If so, that's a whole different story. However, I've been buying AppleCare on eBay for 8 years for my various iPods, Macs, Apple TV and iPhone. I've never had a single problem with service or activation.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Jaw could be right but you can also "cancel" AppleCare by phone as well. If you cancel it, they prorate what's left back to you as credit. Also, the other method is that they can note the AppleCare as "missing" and that nulls that AppleCare.

If it has been cancelled, it becomes non-existent and you wouldn't get a "registered" and then an e-mail saying it was cancelled or nulled, it just wouldn't let you go any further.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
If it has been cancelled, it becomes non-existent and you wouldn't get a "registered" and then an e-mail saying it was cancelled or nulled, it just wouldn't let you go any further.

Well, I had AppleCare on the first iPhone and though I sold it just days before the release of the 3G iPhone, my AppleCare still shows up under my registered AppleCare products. Just returned my MBAir and the AppleCare last week and the AppleCare still shows up for that as well. So, though I don't own either of those I just thought it was odd that I've faxed in both changes in my AppleCare due to returns or sales, but there's been no change on my AppleCare Registration. These two still show up with my other AppleCare products. :eek:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
There's a difference between canceling his enrollment request and nulling his extended warranty if say he drops the computer 3 months into his second year of ownership. The latter I'd say you're SOL, but if he's $till within the 1 year, they're going to try and $ell him a legitimate copy I'm $ure ;)
Not exactly sure what you were referring to though.

To Apple, when you ask a refund (whether or not he's the one who asked for it), implies cancellation.

There is a reason they don't let you keep canceling it and re-buying it—buy it when you have an issue, and then get pro-rated refund when it's resolved?

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Edit - Ignore my post, I just tried to check it again and found out that it was signing me into my wrong account.

iolo

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008
Not Good...

So what it basically means, is that the seller can cancel the AppleCare at any given moment and get a refund, while the buyer gets stuck out of warrany?:eek::eek:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So what it basically means, is that the seller can cancel the AppleCare at any given moment and get a refund, while the buyer gets stuck out of warrany?:eek::eek:

Yes; unless you get the box shipped to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.